PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jaylotw

Lifer
Mar 13, 2020
NE Ohio
Do you find this blend to be on par with smoking a cigarette? I’m anxious to find a “replacement“ to cigs but, I’m afraid if I smoke this blend or, say 5 brothers, based on most saying there is a LOT of N in them. It would be great for a direct comparison.

There’s a lot of Nicotine in them, yes...BUT...it’s not going to hit you like the nic in a cigarette will. No pipe tobacco will do that, but I can tell you from my own experience that Ryback and Five Brothers will help squelch the cravings for cigs quite well.

Even though these are among the high-test pipe blends, nicotine wise, they’re still not as strong as a cigarette.

Dec 6, 2019
AL/GA
There’s a lot of Nicotine in them, yes...BUT...it’s not going to hit you like the nic in a cigarette will. No pipe tobacco will do that, but I can tell you from my own experience that Ryback and Five Brothers will help squelch the cravings for cigs quite well.

Even though these are among the high-test pipe blends, nicotine wise, they’re still not as strong as a cigarette.

You're right that they're not initially as strong.. I've found that even mild blends will quell a craving if you smoke for 10 or 15 mins.. problem is, that's not what we're used to with cigarettes. With cigarettes its nicotine straight to the main nerve in seconds. It takes patience with pipes to get your nic fix.

I have a pretty high nicotine tolerance, but that Picayune will sit me down.. if I try to smoke it back to back, or on an empty stomach.

newportpipe

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 7, 2011
Newport Beach, CA

Thank you for the direct comparison. I just placed an order on SPC for a 3.5 oz. of Ryback. I’m looking forward to smoking it when I would usually reach for a cigarette. Much appreciated.

newportpipe

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 7, 2011
Newport Beach, CA
You're right that they're not initially as strong.. I've found that even mild blends will quell a craving if you smoke for 10 or 15 mins.. problem is, that's not what we're used to with cigarettes. With cigarettes its nicotine straight to the main nerve in seconds. It takes patience with pipes to get your nic fix.

I have a pretty high nicotine tolerance, but that Picayune will sit me down.. if I try to smoke it back to back, or on an empty stomach.
Well said. I should roll in some patience when I smoke in general puffy

didimauw

Staff member
Jul 28, 2013
Burlington WI
Do you find this blend to be on par with smoking a cigarette? I’m anxious to find a “replacement“ to cigs but, I’m afraid if I smoke this blend or, say 5 brothers, based on most saying there is a LOT of N in them. It would be great for a direct comparison.
It's the closest thing to cigarettes I've smoked in a pipe this far

danimalia

Lifer
Sep 2, 2015
San Francisco Bay Area, USA
I agree with the Funkman in regards to there being a bit of an adjustment period to the way nicotine is absorbed from pipes vs cigarettes. The reinforcement takes longer to kick in, but it also lasts longer. A major benefit if you fully transition to pipes is that you may find your cravings will also become much less severe. Though I am still an addict, I can go for longer periods of time without nicotine much more comfortably now.

I still need high-octane blends, particularly in the morning and late afternoon, but once I get good and well, i can easily subsist on the occassional bowl of just about anything.

aguineapig

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 12, 2014
This and three sails are well represented. In my cellar. Occasionally the two mixed is nice as well, the cut being identical. Three sails is a more genteel companion, sort of the mirror opposite on the nicotine scale -- just north of mild rather than just shy of strong.

Pipewizard420

Starting to Get Obsessed
Apr 28, 2020
D&R is one of the best deals for bulk as MOST pounds are about $22-23 plus since it comes dry the volume is MUCH larger than with most pounds. Ryback is decent but I prefer 3 Sails subtle flavor, for the price it a a good idea to get a OZ of the entire line and see what you like best.

newbroom

Lifer
Jul 11, 2014
Florida
I'd put it in the same ballpark as Five Brothers, but it tastes better then FB. ray47

It's been awhile since I've smoked Ryback, but I agree that it's got tons of flavor, and a nice nicotine content.
That it is 'better' than 5Brothers is subjective.
By the way, I recently 'discovered' that the addition of a little D&R Ramback to any burley makes a nice (I've tried it with Amphora Burley, and also with Big 'n Burley, and 5 Bros.) compliment.
Ramback is Turkish Izmir which also goes great with Virginias...so...I like to mix both 3 Sails and TwoTimer with a little Picayune and Ramback to make whatever it is that makes....and I'm camping.

Reactions: canucklehead
Status
Not open for further replies.