PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

canucklehead

Lifer
Aug 1, 2018
Alberta
I like it. I was looking for something similar to Drum, which is virginia/dark fired shag, and Ryback fits just fine, as it is virginia/dark fired/burley shag, and tastes similar to Drum only better and with burley. The shag can burn a bit fast and hot if you're not careful, but if you have the patience to smoke slowly, it is full of flavour, tangy sweet Virginia, creamy spicy dark fired, and nutty smooth burley. Easiest blend ever to smoke, just grab a wad and shove it in your pipe, one light and it burns to the bottom. It comes a bit dry, and I like dry tobacco, but I liked this better rehydrated just a smidge. I like not paying for water and humectant though, and D&R blends are very inexpensive, a great value for your money. 8.5/10, would smoke again.

20200603_191016.jpg

Casual

Lifer
Oct 3, 2019
NL, CA
For those of you who rehydrate, how do you do it? Not a bowl at a time, surely. A whole jar at a time? In the jar with one of those aluminium discs? How do you know it’s done?

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I was recently looking over D&R blends including that one. I enjoy my pound of D&R Two Timer, two burleys twice toasted, a nice variation on a burley theme. At my slow pace, I may be smoking the Two Timer for some years.

canucklehead

Lifer
Aug 1, 2018
Alberta
And then back into a jar? Seems like a lot of work for a bowl.
I usually rehydrate 4-5 pipefulls at a time then put it in a baggie,a tiny Tupperware, or a little jar, depending on how soon I'm going to smoke it.

I have rehydrated a whole tin/pouch before, in which case I just jar it like normal.

The main thing to watch out for is over hydration and/or eneven hydration, any wet spots are a big mold (mould, lol) risk.

Dec 6, 2019
AL/GA
I usually just put some in a bowl/container and put a damp paper towel over the top.

I use this method. I got 10 pouches of SWR, that were dusty dry from a local cigarette store. The guy gave me a heck of a deal because they were so old. I rehydrated them using a wet paper towel over a bowl.. It worked really well. Seems like the rehydrated stuff has a better flavor than the fresher SWR I have.

danimalia

Lifer
Sep 2, 2015
San Francisco Bay Area, USA
I used to go through a lot of this when I was hand-rolling cigarettes as I found it the best alternative to Stokkebye Amsterdam Shag/Drum/Bali. It's plainer tasting than those 3, whether it's less added flavorings or just different leaf sources, but still delivered a full, robust and tasty roll-up. I tried it in a pipe a couple of times, but it just didnt do it for me in that format.

Reactions: canucklehead

newportpipe

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 7, 2011
Newport Beach, CA
The more I smoke it, the more I reach for it. It burns fast, and gets the nicotine job done. As a cigarette smoker, that's sometimes what I'm looking for. Quick and too the point.
Do you find this blend to be on par with smoking a cigarette? I’m anxious to find a “replacement“ to cigs but, I’m afraid if I smoke this blend or, say 5 brothers, based on most saying there is a LOT of N in them. It would be great for a direct comparison.

Reactions: danimalia
Status
Not open for further replies.