PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jun 9, 2018
England
The restoration is fascinating. I'm interested in how they know it's from the D-Day landings.

I believe someone with a metal detector discoverd it on Utah beach and took an educated guess because it has a Marine's insignia and is so old. Whoever the former owner was I hope he made it off the beach ok.

Reactions: Reggie

anotherbob

Lifer
Mar 30, 2019
In the semi-rural NorthEastern USA
I believe someone with a metal detector discoverd it on Utah beach and took an educated guess because it has a Marine's insignia and is so old. Whoever the former owner was I hope he made it off the beach ok.
in my mind he's in a nursing home and still bitching about that lighter he lost though now he can't remember even where he lost it.

Jun 9, 2018
England
Just wondering as "Ike" banned US Marines from the initial landings. They did do some pre-invasion training of the Army and Navy participants. I presume they traveled to the beaches D-Day plus to see the results of their training.
I honestly don't know, maybe one of the guys who stormed the beach swapped it with a Marine, who knows? Still, it's definitely one seriously cool lighter that would no doubt have an interesting story to tell if it could talk.

Status
Not open for further replies.