PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

ohfatty

Lurker
Dec 1, 2019
EDIT: Fixed Capitalization in Title (See Rule 9)

I have been using cyano and super glue to repair chatter. Occasionally, I get a white clodiness that develops after curing. This cloudiness goes down into the glue and does not sand off. I have wiped down the stems with alcohol, thinking perhaps they had a foreign substance causing this problem. Problem persists with stem being cleaned with alcohol, or sanded and both prior to applying glue. It happens even when using accelorator. Anybody else having this problem? Any thoughts on solutions. Glue is not old and stored in total darkness. Thanks in advance guys !!!

Last edited by a moderator:

BROBS

Lifer
Nov 13, 2019
IA
EDIT: Fixed Capitalization in Title (See Rule 9)

I have been using cyano and super glue to repair chatter. Occasionally, I get a white clodiness that develops after curing. This cloudiness goes down into the glue and does not sand off. I have wiped down the stems with alcohol, thinking perhaps they had a foreign substance causing this problem. Problem persists with stem being cleaned with alcohol, or sanded and both prior to applying glue. It happens even when using accelorator. Anybody else having this problem? Any thoughts on solutions. Glue is not old and stored in total darkness. Thanks in advance guys !!!
is the area where you are applying glue polished or just sanded?
if only sanded it's probably tiny amounts of air trapped in the roughness.
I would try to get it somewhat polished and then apply it?

I thought most people used black rather than clear also.. that could be your problem.

ohfatty

Lurker
Dec 1, 2019
It happens whether sanded or polished. I use black cynano and clear superglue (not together) Thanks!

gerryp

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 8, 2018
Arabi, LA
Try dyeing it black with Fiebing's. I did that when I repaired a broken stem with Super Glue and it seems to have hidden the glue line pretty well. Glue, dye, wipe off excess, light sand/polish, buff with carnauba or whatever tickles your fancy. The best part: if it doesn't work, you haven't ruined anything.

I think super glue is cyanoacrylate.

gerryp

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 8, 2018
Arabi, LA
Btw mod...I think it's debatable whether or not thread titles need to be in title case. It's a more conversational type thing, not a newspaper headline or academic paper. Just my $.02. :)

Last edited:

dmcmtk

Lifer
Aug 23, 2013
Make sure the glue is very well mixed. I've taken to put a drop on printer paper and then use my spatula/applier (just cardboard strips cut from a matchbook) to mix it on my "palette". You don't want to see clear and black, that's what is causing the problem.

Can you see the glue?

stan35 fin 018.jpgstan35 fin 019.jpgstan35 fin 027.jpg

Reactions: chopper

ohfatty

Lurker
Dec 1, 2019
Thanks Dave and GerryP. I use index cards and always thoroughly mix glue. I will try the dye, thanks again.

Reactions: BROBS

ohfatty

Lurker
Dec 1, 2019
to dmcmtk Before I order new glue, I will trying mixing glue 10 times more than I have been. I used to reshaft golf clubs with epoxy and had some small shot glass size containers with round bottoms. They were perfect for mixing, (no corners or edges). Of course they are all gone. Thanks again, brian

Reactions: BROBS

greeneyes

Lifer
Jun 5, 2018
This link contains an explanation for what causes "Frosting – Blooming – Chlorosis" and suggests things that you can attempt in order to mitigate its formation [1].

I've never heard of anyone needing to mix cyanoacrylate, unless they're using it in combination with something else (for example ground-up stem material). As far as I know only two-part epoxy requires mixing.

"Cyanoacrylate adhesives are desirable because they are single component, instant curing, non-flammable, and bond most materials. When given the option between this simple solution and an adhesive that needs mixing, heating, a two step process, etc… most prefer cyanoacrylates. " [2]

[1] Preventing powdery adhesive residue - https://www.permabond.com/resource-center/how-do-i-prevent-white-powdery-residue-when-using-instant-adhesives/
[2] Common and bizarre uses of cyanoacrylate adhesives - Permabond - https://www.permabond.com/resource-center/cyanoacrylate-adhesive-usage/

May 2, 2020
Louisiana
I’m not a pipe carver or restorer by any stretch, but I have to use CA fairly often in knife making. I’m in concurrence with @georged on using fresh glue. Also, I find that the Bob Smith CA super thin dries clearer than some others I’ve tried. I’ve actually used CA as a finish on knife handles before. No cloudiness.
Here’s an example of how “glassy” fresh CA should be.
BF6A98A4-1755-4678-BDA3-AEED0C46E4BE.jpeg

May 2, 2020
Louisiana
That knife handle is brautiful!
It was some nice looking wood to begin with. I can’t take credit for Mother Nature. I’d have to go back and look at my notes, but I think that was spalted maple with birdseye maple for that center section. They were just raw wood, not stabilized, which is something I also use CA for. The super thin stuff will actually soak pretty deeply into well-dried wood and stabilize it. Especially the punky stuff like spalted woods. It soaks it up.

Status
Not open for further replies.