PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner

Drucquers Banner

May 2, 2018
Bucks County, PA
Simon, I’m definitely down. I don’t own any cuttys as of yet. But, I’m sure you starting an entry here will very likely change that. I very much enjoy both your & Dave’s picture postings of well-loved, ancient Meers.?☕

peregrinus

Lifer
Aug 4, 2019
Pacific Northwest
8BCE9EEC-29FE-41AD-B9C8-9C229250367F.jpeg@condorlover1
Hello Simon, recently, after a medical procedure, I was perusing eBay while taking some meds unfamiliar to me. I woke up to find I had acquired this older cased cutty meerschaum. The price was only $42.00 U.S., so all’s well.
4C614B44-7EF3-4F34-B49E-7C8BBF716E46.jpeg
The pipe was represented as having a genuine amber stem and being made by F. Webb Ltd., in Birmingham, 1911.
F1786184-19E9-460D-8C86-8416A96DCA6C.jpeg
Although I have not tested it, the stem seems to be amber with bone tenon, it does thread to the shank but doesn’t clock straight, about 1/8 turn over. In all other aspects it seems well.
990C70D3-94AE-4784-9673-034CF2844F90.jpeg
I would like to smoke this pipe and am thinking that a acrylic replacement stem would be a good idea.

Who would you recommend to make a stem and do any necessary tweaks?

Any thoughts or advice you may have are appreciated.
Thank you,
Ray

OzPiper

Lifer
Nov 30, 2020
Sydney, Australia
View attachment 96685@condorlover1
Hello Simon, recently, after a medical procedure, I was perusing eBay while taking some meds unfamiliar to me. I woke up to find I had acquired this older cased cutty meerschaum. The price was only $42.00 U.S., so all’s well.
View attachment 96681
The pipe was represented as having a genuine amber stem and being made by F. Webb Ltd., in Birmingham, 1911.
View attachment 96682
Although I have not tested it, the stem seems to be amber with bone tenon, it does thread to the shank but doesn’t clock straight, about 1/8 turn over. In all other aspects it seems well.
View attachment 96683
I would like to smoke this pipe and am thinking that a acrylic replacement stem would be a good idea.

Thank you,
Ray
The amber stem looks to be in sound condition. Why would you want a replacement ?
I use silicon bits with all my amber stems so I don't chomp on them, and have had no problems to date.

Reactions: peregrinus

paulfg

Lifer
Feb 21, 2016
Corfu Greece
Thats a very nice unsmoked meerschaum. Was the stem amber or amberine? You need a decent faux amber stem that screws into the bone tenon that looks like it is firmly glued into the shank. I would think that is how the stem got snapped by some dick head trying to unscrew it. I actually saw that one on eBay but since I have so many examples of that style I gave it a miss. Once it is fixed you should resist the temptation to take the pipe apart since if you wear the meerschaum threads in the shank you are really f*cked and your only options revolve around cementing the shank. Trust me on the point my friend but do enjoy such a beautiful pipe.
apologies for the extremely late reply @condorlover1 ,only just seen this.
I dont know about the original stem material as I have not actually seen the pipe yet.I had it sent directly to my restorer as the pipe was in England and so is he.
I should get it at the end of September when I have a friend visiting me.
This is the result after repair,new acrylic stem original bone tenon
2.JPG3.JPG

condorlover1

Lifer
Dec 22, 2013
New York
View attachment 96685@condorlover1
View attachment 96681
View attachment 96682
View attachment 96683

Thank you,
Ray
As commented elsewhere if the amber stem is sound and the threads in the meerschaum shank are in good order then don't f*ck with it! In terms of the stem lining up I use paper shims. These can be purchased at any reasonable 'Stationary' store and are the circular things you stick on paper sheets after you have used a hole punch. It reinforces the page so that the binder does not tear the paper. Just add as many as necessary for the stem to align and then gently tighten the stem. You can then trim the surplus over hang with a razor blade. Remember use a soft modeling pipe cleaner to clean the pipe and don't take it apart to avoid stressing the meerschaum threads in the shank, its a pipe and not a folding rifle! Beautiful pipe. Thank you for showing it on the forum.

peregrinus

Lifer
Aug 4, 2019
Pacific Northwest
The amber stem looks to be in sound condition. Why would you want a replacement ?
I use silicon bits with all my amber stems so I don't chomp on them, and have had no problems to date
I’ve no experience with amber stems and I am concerned that given the age it may be too fragile.
It sounds like you’ve have good luck and so perhaps I am overly concerned.
I am inspired by your recommendation to give it a go!

Reactions: OzPiper

peregrinus

Lifer
Aug 4, 2019
Pacific Northwest
I use paper shims. These can be purchased at any reasonable 'Stationary' store and are the circular things you stick on paper sheets after you have used a hole punch.
I know exactly what you mean.
Brilliant.
I will get some and give this a go.
Remember use a soft modeling pipe cleaner to clean the pipe and don't take it apart to avoid stressing the meerschaum threads in the shank,
I am not familiar with these cleaners but assume they may be thinner and less bulky than a standard cleaners. I can see the hole in the stem and bone tenon look to be smaller than my current production meer.
Would I find these at hobby shops or perhaps on Amazon?

Thank you for your help and advice.

condorlover1

Lifer
Dec 22, 2013
New York
@peregrinus: I use these pipe cleaners available from Amazon in ultra long lengths that are used in art projects. They are thinner and perfect for cleaning out the older Victorian/Edwardian pipe stems especially for those who don't want to go 'full on' traditional and use bird feathers. You will thank me for this advice since more amber stems have been broken by people trying to jam modern pipe cleaners into the them then by any other means. Also a bunch of wire 'keys' are useful which are different gauges of straight wire held on a key ring for dealing with any other unforeseen blockages caused by smoking the pipe without a 'Philt Pad' or other form of restrictor at the base of the bowl.

thumbnail-2.jpeg

peregrinus

Lifer
Aug 4, 2019
Pacific Northwest
Amazon in ultra long lengths that are used in art projects. They are thinner and perfect for cleaning out the older Victorian/Edwardian pipe stems
As you suggested I found these on Amazon.

Here are my set of 'Pipe Keys' which are only deployed in the case of severe blockages.
I have experience working with metal so I can fabricate one of these.

In an earlier meerschaum thread I took your suggestion and ordered some of the meerschaum style “pads” that @weezell recommended and have been using these in a contemporary cutty style with great success. I’ll drop one in this pipe.

Thank you for the advice.

jonasclark

Part of the Furniture Now
Aug 4, 2013
Seattle
My only cutty is a short (about 5") Jeantet briar. Nice heel, slightly bulbous bowl is tilted forward at about 45 degrees. Its shank has visibly been broken and glued once, very neatly. It has a very short vulcanite stem. It's next on my list to get a new stem, and I'd like about 4-5" of amber-colored acrylic, maybe with a round button. It and a well-colored-from-smoking (was like that when I got it) Goede Waagen porcelain pipe (kind of a Dublin shape, no heel) are my rainy-day walk pipes, both smoked upside-down.