PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

SBC

Lifer
Oct 6, 2021
NE Wisconsin
#1 looks like a pipe to be smoked by the frogmorton character, in his happy swamp on a sunny day.

The bowl looks as though it's carved from the bulbous root of some marsh rush.

The shank and stem give the impression of a growing reed.

The pencil thin shank flows seamlessly into very thin bamboo (and I typically dislike bamboo in pipe shanks, but this is different), and then the acrylic stem is cut to continue that impression of a reed.

This piece makes me wish for a clear spring day, and a pipe with a cheerful frog friend in a sunlit marsh.

Reactions: canucklehead

alaskanpiper

Enabler in Chief
May 23, 2019
Alaska
#1 looks like a pipe to be smoked by the frogmorton character, in his happy swamp on a sunny day.

The bowl looks as though it's carved from the bulbous root of some marsh rush.

The shank and stem give the impression of a growing reed.

The pencil thin shank flows seamlessly into very thin bamboo (and I typically dislike bamboo in pipe shanks, but this is different), and then the acrylic stem is cut to continue that impression of a reed.

This piece makes me wish for a clear spring day, and a pipe with a cheerful frog friend in a sunlit marsh.
A very descriptive account! Although the stem is ebonite, FWIW 😂. And man, I tell you, this shank is thinner than a pencil! 26898294-6238-4FCC-BD65-D98040D02E96.jpeg

alaskanpiper

Enabler in Chief
May 23, 2019
Alaska
That's a better picture than the ones at the top, and this pipe is not too busy, whatsoever. I don't know what people are talking about.
Yeah, I agree but I totally get why some people think so. Wild stem colors, bamboo, super unique shaping of the stummel. Just a matter of preference I suppose.

One thing I love about this one is what @SBC pointed out, the extra (and very difficult and meticulous) detail of carving a third bamboo knot into the stem to aid that transition. In profile it’s seemless.

9103BA82-F80C-4A61-8ED5-315DB326F664.jpeg

Status
Not open for further replies.