PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

crawdad

Lifer
Jul 19, 2019
Virginia
Since I'm a bit of an infrequent when I get the time or the itch to smoke a bowl type, I have this feeling these days of cutting back. Like, to 2 or 3 blends if that. I've got too many, way too many blends stashed away. I've got tins of blends I haven't tried yet and I have jars of baccy I don't know when I'll ever get to again. Tell me, has anyone just said to hell with it, I'm sticking only to one blend (or two or three) at a time. LOL, can it even be done?

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
Since I'm a bit of an infrequent when I get the time or the itch to smoke a bowl type, I have this feeling these days of cutting back. Like, to 2 or 3 blends if that. I've got too many, way too many blends stashed away. I've got tins of blends I haven't tried yet and I have jars of baccy I don't know when I'll ever get to again. Tell me, has anyone just said to hell with it, I'm sticking only to one blend (or two or three) at a time. LOL, can it even be done?
Yes, it can. Mostly smoke Engine 382, Belmont Station, and Black Frigate.

Mar 29, 2016
I want to achieve that, to be able to smoke only 3 to 4 tobaccos. My problem is supply, I like Germain's Special Latakia Flake and Brown Flake and Dan Tobacco Skipper's Flake and even if I' ve got a nice amount, it won't be enough for a lifetime. Like you, I've got way to many and I realized that I know what I want after reviewing more than 200 tobaccos on Tobacco Reviews. Now if I had an equal quantity of those mentioned and also G. L. Pease Abingdon and Escudo, instead of those pounds that I don't even know how they taste for some, I would be a happy camper.

Reactions: Pipe Daddy

mityahicks

Part of the Furniture Now
Nov 18, 2018
Only 3 years into pipe smoking. I don't see myself only smoking a few blends. I am looking to try less. I have too many blends too. It's a great problem.

Reactions: Pipe Daddy
Jan 28, 2018
Sarasota, FL
I want to achieve that, to be able to smoke only 3 to 4 tobaccos. My problem is supply, I like Germain's Special Latakia Flake and Brown Flake and Dan Tobacco Skipper's Flake and even if I' ve got a nice amount, it won't be enough for a lifetime. Like you, I've got way to many and I realized that I know what I want after reviewing more than 200 tobaccos on Tobacco Reviews. Now if I had an equal quantity of those mentioned and also G. L. Pease Abingdon and Escudo, instead of those pounds that I don't even know how they taste for some, I would be a happy camper.

Different blends I prefer but I share your perspective. I'd have less than 1/2 the blends I do if I could really purchase all of what I want whenever I want it. Much of what I want is relatively hard to get so I have bought some second, third and even fourth choices. All high quality stuff, just not my first choice. I've been doing some trading trying to rebalance my cellar.

mordy18

Can't Leave
Mar 12, 2019
Northern New Jersey
Been thinking the same. I sometimes find myself going to blends that are ok but not great just to make a dent in them. I do like variety though, but 30 different jarred tins may be too much. Plus a bunch more unopened and more on the way. As a newish pipe smoker I am still exploring, and that is part of the fun. But I may choose a 5 blend rotation from various categories and smoke nothing but that until they are done and then move on to the next five. May do the same with pipes.

Slowpony

Might Stick Around
Sep 9, 2019
NC
For real! I’ve mostly stuck to C and D. I have a bunch of SG and Rattrays stashed that I don’t smoke because it’s hard to come by but I’m really considering just keeping the C and D only. And a cherry aromatic if I’m in a crowd lol.

Papamique

Mar 11, 2020
It'd sure make life easy. Sometimes I envy the old coots who have been smoking the same drugstore blend for the last 40 years.

Thank you, I resemble that comment ? Although I primarily smoke only one blend (not a drugstore blend) I have quite a few others for friends to choose from, for special occasions, or just to switch things up. 9 times out of 10 though, I reach for ole faithful.

skydog

Jun 27, 2017
Over the past few years I've found it's really nice to have a blend you can always reach for. I mix it up occasionally and always have some cheaper bulks on hand for a smoke I'm not going to be able to concentrate on as much. But when I sit back and want to relax it's nice to not have to flip through dozens of jars wondering what I should smoke.

Parsimonious Piper

Can't Leave
Oct 12, 2019
I’m the opposite; I like variety. I’ve got at least 40 open tins in jars. A bonus is stumbling across something I’ve forgotten about that’s been sitting in a jar for several years
This. I enjoy too many different blends, and have 48 jars in a pair of soda crates to grab from, plus more unopened. Sure I have favorites, but haven’t settled on a few daily smokes.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
It can be done, although it requires a special turn of mind. My dad did it, perhaps by never getting on the blend variety train. He smoked Granger from about age 15 until he quit cold turkey at 65, with a few years off for King Edward Cigars. He quit when he took a job as a second career at a no-smoking campus and said he figured he'd had all the fun out of it. He was an uncommon guy, but yes, it is done. He died at age 89 licensed to drive without glasses ... I took him to the license exam.

anotherbob

Lifer
Mar 30, 2019
In the semi-rural NorthEastern USA
I spent years buying a tin or pouch and not buying another until the first was finished. Then when I had to start ordering online and it only made sense to buy several tins, that is when the cellar started. And in fact a lot of times I'll smoke mainly one type of tobacco pretty obsessively until the tin is gone. As in at least one bowl will be from that tin.