PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

eljimmy

Lifer
Jan 3, 2021
Los Angeles, California
Is it ok to cut/shorten a tenon? If so, what is the best way? Someone made a pipe for me but when the stem(including the tenon of course) is in all the way it covers the air hole/draft hole.

mortonbriar

Lifer
Oct 25, 2013
New Zealand
The photo's tell the story perfectly.

Get a few opinions before chopping but...

I probably would chop off a bit of tenon, using a jewellers saw (a coping saw or any fine tooth saw would work) but it is hard to gauge from here if that would make for too short a tenon, I cant see how big/heavy the bowl is...

If it stays in fine with it pulled out halfway like that, then you could just smoke it like that...

or epoxy on a shank extension in a different material to make up the difference.

Reactions: eljimmy

eljimmy

Lifer
Jan 3, 2021
Los Angeles, California
The photo's tell the story perfectly.

Get a few opinions before chopping but...

I probably would chop off a bit of tenon, using a jewellers saw (a coping saw or any fine tooth saw would work) but it is hard to gauge from here if that would make for too short a tenon, I cant see how big/heavy the bowl is...

If it stays in fine with it pulled out halfway like that, then you could just smoke it like that...

or epoxy on a shank extension in a different material to make up the difference.
I ended up cutting off a piece with this. Like a hot knife through butter. It fits perfect now. Thank you so much for taking the time to give your suggestion. I appreciate it.
IMG_9191.JPG

Reactions: mortonbriar