PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

TinCup

Can't Leave
Nov 14, 2019
Indian Ocean
I have a Parker Jockey that's prone to gurgle on every smoke (with or without the metal stinger type filter) and I don't enjoy messing about with a pipe cleaner during my smoke to dry it up

I was thinking about slicing a savinelli 6mm balsa filter along its length and inserting that to see if it helps. The only reason I'm posting is because I don't have a thin bladed craft/modeling knife in the house so I need to wait until after lockdown to try it as a possible solution

So for my curiosity, has anyone else done this, did it work?

krizzose

Lifer
Feb 13, 2013
Michigan
I’ve never done that, but I think you’d end up with a very tight draw. Just make sure you keep a triangular cross section so the smoke can go past the insert.

Reactions: TinCup and BROBS

TinCup

Can't Leave
Nov 14, 2019
Indian Ocean
I’ve never done that, but I think you’d end up with a very tight draw. Just make sure you keep a triangular cross section so the smoke can go past the insert.

Yeah I used a match to check size and that leads to a tight draw. Fortunately balsa pipe filters are already triangular so cutting along its length to anything other than another triangle would be very difficult

mikethompson

Lifer
Jun 26, 2016
Near Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Well the worst that could happen is that it restricts the draw too much. But I am a fan of balsa filters (but more specifically Brigham's rock maple inserts) so I would think it would suck up most of the moisture.

smokey789

Starting to Get Obsessed
Apr 14, 2020
Western Pennsylvania
Used 9mm in place of 6mm accidentally. Depending on how much smaller you have to go, it may not have a problem. Just take a little off the apex of the triangle. What's there to lose?

Pierre1965

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 6, 2020
I use them in my Frank Medico's in place of the paper ones and I like it much better. I don't get any extra noticable restriction.

mikey517

Lurker
Jul 27, 2019
NJ
I have become a fan of the Aldo Velani balsa filters, like them more than the Savinelli balsa. I usually get 3-4 bowls from a new one, then I take it out and let it air dry on a paper towel for at least an overnight. It's usually good to go another 2-3 after that. I use them on my Grabow pipes and my two Rossi pipes and, tho it really just may be my mind playing tricks, I swear my smokes taste better and drier. YMMV....

Reactions: TinCup