PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

pepesdad1

Lifer
Feb 28, 2013
Decided to customize my new "bully" cob, used Fiebings black for the top and saddle tan for the bottom and shank...I've done this with all my cobs.

Decided to make a few new tampers using natural branches/twigs from my property, glazed them after sanding them to get the rough bumps off, drilled them, then glued in a cut silver pipe nail.

KIFhxw2l.jpg

g4nld4Ql.jpg

stBEOVkl.jpg

newbroom

Lifer
Jul 11, 2014
Florida
I'm sure that enhances durability as well as appearance.

I smoke several cobs, one or two somewhat 'collectible', and always reach for the most gnarly of the group first. It's a 'nekked' Pride 2nd I've been smoking for at least 4 yrs.

I like that textured feel, the natural aspect of the unfinished cob which is lighter than a finished cob and thus more clench friendly.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I didn't think the pipe nail could be improved since it is a vision of simplicity and function. However the wood spanner adds a little soul, but moreover it makes the nail a little long for deep bowls, while remaining equally useful for medium bowls. Very crafty.

weezell

Lifer
Oct 12, 2011
It's a 'nekked' Pride 2nd I've been smoking for at least 4 yrs.

I like that textured feel, the natural aspect of the unfinished cob which is lighter than a finished cob and thus more clench friendly.
I have 3 Pride MM Cobs with Forever stems that I reach for first(when I want something other than meerschaum)...

pepesdad1

Lifer
Feb 28, 2013
Thanks...like I said, it gives me something to do...surprised the hell out of me, I now reach for a cob 9 out of 10 times, cause they look so good. The tampers I use for small gifts to friends...they seem to enjoy them, which makes it worthwhile.

pepesdad1

Lifer
Feb 28, 2013
I think they are still available, but yes, they were to celebrate 150 years of cobs by MM.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
By the time I break in a cob, in about fifteen minutes, it no longer is a disposable pipe to me. I have Forever stems and have bought others, special series, with stock acrylic stems, like the Dagner and the C&D/MM collaboration. So I fully appreciate the fine job you did making the bully cob your own. Some blends don't fully bloom unless you smoke them in a cob.

Status
Not open for further replies.