PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

milehighpiper

Can't Leave
Sep 10, 2018
Denver, CO
I ordered a smokeable seconds pack from Missouri Meerschaum and they should be in sometime this week. Depending on what MM sends me I want to try and make a pocket pipe/nosewarmer out of the pipes they send me. Has anyone ever tried to cut, copy and paste their way into a “Custom Cob”. I searched the internet and found some guys who make custom cobs for competitions but I want to see if anyone here has come up with anything at home.
Can you please post pictures of your homemade custom cob and I will do the same once I get my cobs in and chopped up.
Looking for some ideas and suggestions...
Thanks!

crashthegrey

Lifer
Dec 18, 2015
Cobleskill, NY
www.greywoodie.com
I hate the hassle of posting pictures here, as I don't like to host my photos before posting them. However, yes, many people have dabbled in modding cobs. It is a fun way to kill some time. You can stain them, paint them, replace the stem and shank, sand them and reshape them, whatever you want. And if you kill it, you are out a few bucks so no big deal.

jitterbugdude

Part of the Furniture Now
Mar 25, 2014
I grew some MM corn in 2017 and made a pipe or two from it. I'll try to post pics later tonight.

jitterbugdude

Mar 25, 2014
Well.... it looks like I need another tutorial on how to post pics. It's been a long time and I don't remember.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
MM somewhat co-opts DIY pipe modifications by offering appealing special versions. What you're planning sounds a lot like the MM/Dagner pocket pipe poker with an acrylic stem. But it might be fun to do it your way, it's true.

michiganlover

Can't Leave
May 10, 2014
I think what your planning sounds a lot like the Morgan a nosewarmer pipe that is about half the size of a Diplomat.

milehighpiper

Can't Leave
Sep 10, 2018
Denver, CO
It all depends on what I receive from MM. I planning on chopping one up to make the smaller one and keep the other two for friends that may want to try smoking. I have a Carolina Gent coming as well but want to try my hand at modifying one just for fun.

wyfbane

Lifer
Apr 26, 2013
Tennessee
Where do you get MM Cob seeds? I can see if my father-in-law will grow a row of it in his garden next year.
I have one of the reverse calabash MM cobs, but I haven't done one of the true custom numbers I have seen on here from time to time.

jitterbugdude

Mar 25, 2014
img_0555.jpg

Here it is. I grew the cob from MM seed obtained from Aristocb. The stem is Vulcanite. The wooden part is cherry. I also put a cherry plug in the bottom of the cob.I didn't do a lot of documenting along the way. It came out pretty nice though.
BTW... how do I make the image bigger?

Status
Not open for further replies.