PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.
Oct 7, 2016
Any clue if these tins are going problematic?
If you mean the SG tins, Ernie ordered enough so that most came In Gawith sealed Master Cases from Phillips and King. Those were absolutely perfect, and in fact he sent a text to them complimenting them on their great packing.

He told me that he and Danny had found a few pops and crushed ones in the odd tins that Phillips and King also sent, packed bt P&K, not Gawith, which of course they are not selling.

I believe there is a comments section on the online order form where you could say please make sure the tins aren’t popped or crushed. They are very aware of the issue.

caveat: I personally would not trust the tins being used now by Gawith, Germain (Esoterica), and k&k for long term cellaring. For the last year, I have been putting these tins intact into Mylar and heat sealing them

Oct 7, 2016
Are there problems with the round tins Germain is using?
They seem to crush easily, many complaints about that. I haven’t heard any complaints about people receiving popped tins, but i am not alone in not trusting the long term seal integrity. Nobody has a lot of experience since they just switched a year or so ago. Same for k&k.

pantsBoots

Lifer
Jul 21, 2020
Terra Firma
They seem to crush easily, many complaints about that. I haven’t heard any complaints about people receiving popped tins, but i am not alone in not trusting the long term seal integrity. Nobody has a lot of experience since they just switched a year or so ago. Same for k&k.
Long term tin storage, I'm putting the tins in heat-sealed mylar as belt-and-suspenders insurance against the seals. Should not have to worry about crushing them unless I fall into my closet (has been a rare problem so far).

Reactions: johng99 and dcon
Oct 7, 2016
Long term tin storage, I'm putting the tins in heat-sealed mylar as belt-and-suspenders insurance against the seals. Should not have to worry about crushing them unless I fall into my closet (has been a rare problem so far).
I am likely to fall anywhere, I keep mine in drawers. ?
On the SG rectangular tins, some of them will have the four corners dented in, but that is from the factory vacuum seal, not shipping damage. They are working with their supplier to get a heavier gauge that will not crease at the corners, but the seals are good. At least for the short term.

• Haha
Reactions: pantsBoots

Sloopjohnbee

Lifer
May 12, 2019
Atlantic Coast USA
Honest opinion - as I'm pretty stocked for tobacco - I've had Sam's Flake- Found it good+ but nothing to rave crazy about - is Brown No. 4 , FVF, and Best Brown worthy of more panic buying?
I love E. Q Blends and would prob. gravitate towards buying more Watch Blends vs. anything else.
What do you think?
What about that Wessex or Fribourg offerings like the Plug - I was never a full Virginia man until recently.

Oct 7, 2016
Honest opinion - as I'm pretty stocked for tobacco - I've had Sam's Flake- Found it good+ but nothing to rave crazy about - is Brown No. 4 , FVF, and Best Brown worthy of more panic buying?
I love E. Q Blends and would prob. gravitate towards buying more Watch Blends vs. anything else.
What do you think?
What about that Wessex or Fribourg offerings like the Plug - I was never a full Virginia man until recently.
Nothing is worthy of panic buying. If you like VaPers, Saint James Flake is a good one fresh, even better if you give it even modest time to age. I like FVF, but I am not as over the moon about it as some are. i reach for Best Brown more. Brown #4 is a full on high test rope, one I have and occasionally smoke. But it for sure isn’t an all day tobacco for me.

There are two light Virginia’s that do’t score high on reviews because, IMO, they don’t have nuch if any “Lakeland essence” and aren’t powerhouses. SG Golden Glow and GH Broken Scotch Cake are as good as any lighter VA I have found on the market in years.

I am not sure about the Wessex Curly Cut. I smoked both recipes of the Peter Heinrich Curly Cut, and was very disappointed in the newer recipe. If Watch City has any left whenever the government stimulates me, I will throw in a few ounces when I next order. The Wessex Gold Brick is a winner, but I am working off a stash I accumulated a few years back.

F&T Cut Virginia Plug , Cut Blended Plug, Wessex Campaign Dark Flake, Astleys 44, etc. are all worth a try IMO.

While Ernie has done wonders with Virginia’s and VaPers (Rougaroux is a home run, will be released on 4/1), IMO if you can stomach Burley at all, you should be able to find something you will love. He usually offers a Burley Sampler. Just make sure it includes Watch City Slices. .

Status
Not open for further replies.