PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

peacepipeman

Lurker
Feb 26, 2019
Title edited. Capitalize important words. Also, consider introducing yourself and sticking around! -jpm

Can you help? Who would you recommend to replace a meerschaum stem with a Cumberland stem?

Thanks, Art

Last edited by a moderator:

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014

peacepipeman

Lurker
Feb 26, 2019
Art, are you looking to replace the stem on a meer pipe?

Depends on how your stem fits I to the bowl, but there are several places that come to mind that could handle it if it is a conventional push on stem.
Push/Pull tenon. I wanted to get a few options to choose from. Thank you!!

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I think "real" Cumberland is Vulcanite, but stems that look like Cumberland are also made in acrylic/lucite, so make sure you are on the same page with your pipe repairman about material. Also, the marbled Cumberland look comes in a variety of colors, so cover that too.

scloyd

Lifer
May 23, 2018
I think you have your answer. Ric at Briarville is highly recommended. Actually @scloyd got a stem made for a Savinelli stummel he found at a shop.
Yep, I picked up this Savinelli Oscar 802 EX stummel at an antique shop for $4-5. I sent it to Ric at Briarville and he made a replacement stem. I'm very pleased with his work.

Before
oscar 1 - Edited.jpg

After
image - Edited (3).jpg

Reactions: peacepipeman

tfdickson

Lifer
May 15, 2014
East End of Long Island
Just to expand on @mso489 ’s point, true Cumberland not only is ebonite but it only comes in rod stock form- it will have to be hand cut as there is no such thing as a Cumberland molded stem. It will cost much more than a molded replacement stem (I think it’s worth the extra cost) so be aware and as stated above make sure you and the guy doing the job are totally clear on what you are looking for.

I‘ve used Briarville before and they are great, although I’ve never had them hand cut a replacement stem.

Reactions: peacepipeman

jonasclark

Part of the Furniture Now
Aug 4, 2013
Seattle
Briarville has done all my meerschaum re-stemming beautifully. And yes, when looking at their price list, Cumberland will have to be custom-cut from rod stock. I've had a custom acrylic stem from them, made to imitate an amber stem with a round 'button,' but not a vulcanite stem. Everything I've ortdered from Ric has been acrylic. There may be acrylic colors in his stock which imitate Cumberland, and if you're okay with acrylic, you could ask, but I'm quite certain that if you ordered a custom Cumberland stem, he would do a beautiful job of it!