PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

joshb83

Can't Leave
Feb 25, 2015
It’s been a while since I’ve ventured away from the favorites that I continue to smoke (except FMOT...need to save what’s left for special occasions). I want to try the cube cuts, and looking for a starring recommendation. I know the first question to come will be what are you likes? Honestly, I’m open to whatever is available. Not really too shy from any specifics tastes. So I’d like to hear what you guys like and what you think? Thanks in adavance.

rdavid

Part of the Furniture Now
Jun 30, 2018
Milton, FL
Well, this is kind of a weird first suggestion but Crooner comes to mind for me. I love this stuff. Really good burley but you also have to like deer tongue.

joshb83

Can't Leave
Feb 25, 2015
Never heard of or tried Deertongue, what are your thoughts on the flavor?

krizzose

Lifer
Feb 13, 2013
Michigan
GLP Barbary Coast is fantastic, but is fairly strong and full flavored. Peter Stokkebye Cube Cut is a milder, easy smoking blend, which is also pretty cheap.
Crooner is great, but deertongue is a love it or hate it sort of thing and Crooner has a lot. You’ll just have to try it out for yourself. The underlying cube cut burley is pretty strong, but very good.

rdavid

Jun 30, 2018
Milton, FL
Yes, deertongue is really hard to explain. It does add some sweetness and also a slight vanilla flavor. I also get a very slight floral aroma from it.
As krizzose mentioned above, it’s a love/hate experience and can only be decided by trying it yourself. I ordered a 1 oz sample to start with for a few dollars just to see if I liked it. Turns out I do like deertongue but the cube cut burley was fantastic and I really enjoyed the pairing.

rdavid

Jun 30, 2018
Milton, FL
A google search for: “deer tongue use in pipe tobacco” should yield some good info if you’re curious.
Back to the original topic, I purchased some SG Full Virginia Flake and cube cut it with a pair of kitchen scissors and let it dry for a few hours. Wow! One of my first forays into Virginia territory and it was absolutely fantastic.

btp79

Can't Leave
Jan 27, 2018
Sugar Land, TX
More and more I've been using a pair of Xikar cigar scizzors to cube cut almost all my flakes. It's hard to beat, just don't over fill the bowl.

monkeylyf

Lurker
Nov 1, 2018
I usually cube cut both SG St.Jame and SG FVF. For me, cube-cutting is away to work around the high moisture level a flake has and not to dry it too much to lose flavor. Of course, I still let the baccy dry for 15~ish mins, but not too long.

And cube cutting make pipe filling a little bit easier since the gravity itself does the perfect job already.

joshb83

Can't Leave
Feb 25, 2015
Wow, I appreciate all the recommendations. It looks like it’s going to be a little bit of a shopping spree...as much as the wallet allows. I’ll definitely make sure to report back so that you guys know how it’s all worked out.

renfield

Lifer
Oct 16, 2011
Kansas
Stokkebye Cube Cut is an enjoyable smoke. Simple Burley with a very light molasses topping. It needs some drying to get it to burn without too much fuss.
Crooner is good as well. Stronger in the nicotine department than Cube Cut. The deer tongue reminds me of a cross between vanilla and mint. Like others have said it’s a love it or hate it thing.

joshb83

Can't Leave
Feb 25, 2015
Perfect I will definitely check the link. I will report back with what comes across the doorstep.

Status
Not open for further replies.