PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

pantsBoots

Lifer
Jul 21, 2020
Terra Firma
^1+

This has been discussed many times over the last several years, and yes, the general consensus is that quality would degrade considerably.

The Cuban economy has disintegrated. Corruption is widespread. The state-run agriculture sector is starved for investment.

Create additional demand on that of even 50% and what do you think will happen? Opening the US market to Cuban cigars will create such a demand that they will be sold out quicker than Stonehaven, and the quality will be of a gas station Swisher. Remember the fable about the Goose that laid the golden egg?

It's a similar story to what I read about Samuel Gawith and Esoterica: a good product that was once regularly available, became much less so, and now generates a piranha-like chaos whenever they are released to the market. Unlike SG and Esoterica, I was able to stack boxes of some favorites, so if the embargo ends, it's no concern of mine as I can weather several years of poor availability and speculative pricing.

Reactions: anotherbob

stokesdale

Part of the Furniture Now
Apr 17, 2020
Stokesdale
A man I met at a dock in Navarre a few years ago while launching our boats who had a connection with Brazil through Miami. We became friends and now whenever I'm down at my house there, he and his wife come over for a few drinks and a smoke. The first time they came he raved that he had a couple of Cubans...gave me this long story about his connection, blah blah blah. We got through half of one each, then I broke out one of my Davidoff Aniversarios...he only smokes Davidoff ever since.

There is absolutely nothing that everyone is going to agree on, especially things like cigars or pipe tobaccos.
I've had a few aged Cubans gifted to me from members here, and they were awesome. I also smoke random sticks from Nicaragua and other places that are awesome. I don't think cigars alone would have any impact on trade bans, but their rum is to die for... or so I am told. I couldn't tell you the differences between rums and rubbing alcohol, ha ha.

stokesdale

Apr 17, 2020
Stokesdale
There is absolutely nothing that everyone is going to agree on, especially things like cigars or pipe tobaccos.
I've had a few aged Cubans gifted to me from members here, and they were awesome. I also smoke random sticks from Nicaragua and other places that are awesome. I don't think cigars alone would have any impact on trade bans, but their rum is to die for... or so I am told. I couldn't tell you the differences between rums and rubbing alcohol, ha ha.
I tend to agree with you; I think a lot of people (Americans mostly) are drawn to "Cuban" cigars because they are out of most people's reach and the name sounds cool. Like a country boy and their Hemi engines...ask them what's so great about a Hemi relative to another engine and the only thing they can say is "well, because it's a Hemi" it sounds cool (nothing cool about the word Davidoff...rhymes with Jackinoff).

Jan 28, 2018
Sarasota, FL

The Cuban Rum is quite nice. I'd take a few bottles of Havana Club 15 over a box of Cuban cigars any day.

Jan 28, 2018
Sarasota, FL
You can buy Cubans by mail order now. Guaranteed delivery is part of the deal.
I was buying as much as 5 to 10 boxes per month over 20 years ago. The vendors would ship 5 or more boxes at once and guarantee delivery. Most now will only ship 2 boxes at a time. Living in Indiana was helpful, most of the boxes came through Atlanta or Louisville where customs was much more lenient.

instymp

Lifer
Jul 30, 2012
I never thought Cuban's were worth the premium. To my taste buds.
Twice the price of ones I am happy with.

ChuckMijo

Sep 26, 2020
I was buying as much as 5 to 10 boxes per month over 20 years ago. The vendors would ship 5 or more boxes at once and guarantee delivery. Most now will only ship 2 boxes at a time. Living in Indiana was helpful, most of the boxes came through Atlanta or Louisville where customs was much more lenient.
I have not ordered in over a year. I still have 10 boxes or so and 60 or so singles. I did get nailed once. Customs seized my order. It went through NY. I got a letter in the mail. I never responded. Took a picture of the letter and emailed to the Vendor. They sent me a new box . There are only 3 vetted vendors I use and trust. I did belong to a cigar forums a few years ago. I still see my posts from time to time. I’m more inclined to smoke a pipe now.

jrharrigan

Starting to Get Obsessed
Dec 27, 2020
Generally speaking they are not all that great and way overpriced. I would take a Nicaraguan just about every day of the week.

I probably buy Cubans once or so a year. After I have been here for four months and get the requisite 100 posts I'll offer the occasional trade. So give me another 3 and a half months or so.

Reactions: ChuckMijo
Jan 28, 2018
Sarasota, FL
I have not ordered in over a year. I still have 10 boxes or so and 60 or so singles. I did get nailed once. Customs seized my order. It went through NY. I got a letter in the mail. I never responded. Took a picture of the letter and emailed to the Vendor. They sent me a new box . There are only 3 vetted vendors I use and trust. I did belong to a cigar forums a few years ago. I still see my posts from time to time. I’m more inclined to smoke a pipe now.
Same here, I mostly smoke pipe. I do smoke 2 or 3 cigars when playing golf. I enjoy Cubans but I also like Nicaraguan cigars.

Reactions: ChuckMijo

ChuckMijo

Sep 26, 2020
Generally speaking they are not all that great and way overpriced. I would take a Nicaraguan just about every day of the week.

I probably buy Cubans once or so a year. After I have been here for four months and get the requisite 100 posts I'll offer the occasional trade. So give me another 3 and a half months or so.
Me and you probably won’t get along.

LOREN

Oct 21, 2019
Illinois -> Florida
Havana Club Rum is delicious to me.

OzPiper

Lifer
Nov 30, 2020
Sydney, Australia
I don’t find Nicaragua's comparable. They are their own animal completely! I like Padron and a few others, but they don’t compare. That’s my opinion.
Cellared quite a few boxes of cigars some years ago when I was smoking cigars exclusively - mainly Habanos.
Then I discovered Padrons. Now if faced with a choice Cohiba, Partagas (my favoured Habanos) or Padron, I mostly go with the Padron.
Great leaf, fabulous and very reliable rolling. I've lost count of the number of Habanos I have had to junk because of poor rolling rendering them unsmokable.

Reactions: kcghost

jewman22

Lifer
Apr 2, 2021
Ontario Canada
I guess i take being able to buy cubans here for granted, although I rarely do, since they are almost 3 times the price than just buying them in Cuba.
So i just stock up when I'm down there, or have family going.

Reactions: OzPiper

kcghost

Lifer
May 6, 2011
Olathe, Kansas
When I was ordering Cubans it was thirty some years ago and the quality was so much better than they are today. I would say that you need to age them five years yourself.

Reactions: OzPiper

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
Back in the late 90's I was spending 20 grand a year and had a big humidor to hold them. A Vinotemp was what I had and it held around 5-6 thousand cigars. I figure I had around 3000 at its peak. I had more sources than most and I paid way less than domestic prices from Fuente and other non Cuban makers which is why I bought mostly only Cubans. My main sources were from Gibraltar, Beirut, Hong Kong,Switzerland, Spain and a few others I am probably forgetting.

Before the Euro I could buy Cuban cigars less than what they sold for in Cuba. For an example the Trinidad Fundadores was 336 in Cuba and 292 in Spain. A box of Siglo III's were 177. in Spain and puroexpress was the seller. They were over 200 and some more money I am not sure but around 225.00 In Cuba.

I would buy cabs of Punch Super Selection II's for 6 and change a stick. Punch Punch cabs of 50 had the sticks selling for 5 bucks and change. I could buy my favorite cigar the Partagas Connoisseur no.1's for 6 and change a stick. There was never a reason not to buy Cuban because they were so cheap.

Status
Not open for further replies.