PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

pantsBoots

Lifer
Jul 21, 2020
Terra Firma
There's always a chance, which is a Pro for American smokers who haven't figured out how to order them from Europe. Con is there will be a mad dash leading to skyrocketing prices (which has been happening with Habanos anyway due largely to the growing middle class in China). Another Con is the mad dash will likely lead to more production which varies in inverse proportion to the quality of construction. A final Pro, to end on a positive note, is that there will be serious competition for Dominicans, which may (hopefully) lower the price on those as they are forced to compete with the unique Cuban terroir.

ChuckMijo

Part of the Furniture Now
Sep 26, 2020
There's always a chance, which is a Pro for American smokers who haven't figured out how to order them from Europe. Con is there will be a mad dash leading to skyrocketing prices (which has been happening with Habanos anyway due largely to the growing middle class in China). Another Con is the mad dash will likely lead to more production which varies in inverse proportion to the quality of construction. A final Pro, to end on a positive note, is that there will be serious competition for Dominicans, which may (hopefully) lower the price on those as they are forced to compete with the unique Cuban terroir.
This .. a perfect answer

kcghost

Lifer
May 6, 2011
Olathe, Kansas
Prices of Cubans in America legally will just be exorbitant. It will be just like cigar boom all over. You won't be able to get them and the prices will be outrageous. Couple that with they are selling all they can make means they will undoubtedly be forced to roll anything and charge you the moon for it.

ChuckMijo

Part of the Furniture Now
Sep 26, 2020
Possible? Yes. Probable? Uncertain. The prices for Cuban cigars have gotten to the point, they're not worth it. There's almost an unlimited number of sources for Cubans that will reliably ship to your doorstep if you wish to purchase them.
I can’t agree with you on that, actually quite the opposite. I can buy and do from 3 trusted vendors. The price is actually cheaper. What I buy a box for and free shipping. Tax free.

Jan 28, 2018
Sarasota, FL
I can’t agree with you on that, actually quite the opposite. I can buy and do from 3 trusted vendors. The price is actually cheaper. What I buy a box for and free shipping. Tax free.
I guess it depends upon your perspective. I can still remember buying Punch Punch for $150 a box of 25. Now, $235 on sale. Almost $10 a stick. Compared to quality Nicaragua's, not had. Compared to 10 years ago, bad.

mikestanley

Lifer
May 10, 2009
Akron area of Ohio
I suspect what has been done, will be undone and visa versa. My only experience with Cuban cigars have come from Canada. Back in 1989, they were out of this world. Each purchase since that time has been increasingly disappointing. I realize Canada doesn't get the "best" of the best, in the 80s, they were really, really good.

Mike S.

Reactions: danimalia

dochowl

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jul 30, 2020
Torrance, CA
Best thing about Cubans... 25 in a box. That's like a 25 percent bonus over buying non cuban boxes of 20.

And yes, plenty of online sources providing authentic habanos. Been dealing with the same 2 or 3 for nearly 15 years.

Jan 28, 2018
Sarasota, FL
I don’t find Nicaragua's comparable. They are their own animal completely! I like Padron and a few others, but they don’t compare. That’s my opinion.

Well, they're both cigars aren't they? Lol. I understand. If I want a milder, complex cigar, I light up a Cuban. If I want a stronger cigar, I light up a Nicaraguan. They are significant different cigar types.

danimalia

Lifer
Sep 2, 2015
San Francisco Bay Area, USA
Any thoughts about the possibility of Cuban cigars getting back on the market in my lifetime?
I am not a big cigar guy, but I do love Punch Habanos.
Yes, I think they'll be available on the American market at some point. Though if you'd asked me 5 years ago, I would have thought they'd be here by now. And while you can buy them online, and I do, I like being able to just go down to the local B&M and pick out whatever looks and feels appealing in the moment.

I also think the possibility of Cuban tobacco becoming available to American based cigar companies (e.g. Fuente, Oliva, My Father, etc.) to blend with is fascinating. Whether Habanos would be willing to sell their leaf to companies that are, frankly, better at the mechanics of cigar-making is an open question, I suppose.

pantsBoots

Lifer
Jul 21, 2020
Terra Firma
Yes, I think they'll be available on the American market at some point. Though if you'd asked me 5 years ago, I would have thought they'd be here by now. And while you can buy them online, and I do, I like being able to just go down to the local B&M and pick out whatever looks and feels appealing in the moment.

I also think the possibility of Cuban tobacco becoming available to American based cigar companies (e.g. Fuente, Oliva, My Father, etc.) to blend with is fascinating. Whether Habanos would be willing to sell their leaf to companies that are, frankly, better at the mechanics of cigar-making is an open question, I suppose.

This last point is very interesting. I don't typically like Nicaraguan tobacco, but I'm very curious to try some of what Fuente has been working with lately. The Rare Pink release was just too limited, so I forgot about them. Same with the Naked King release. Both contained Nicaraguan tobacco, I believe, and as a big Fuente fan, I would love to see what they do with it.

I actually had some old Fuente- made Cuesta Rey that were made with Havana tobacco, including a Havana Maduro wrapper. It was amazing, even at 70 years old.

danimalia

Lifer
Sep 2, 2015
San Francisco Bay Area, USA
This last point is very interesting. I don't typically like Nicaraguan tobacco, but I'm very curious to try some of what Fuente has been working with lately. The Rare Pink release was just too limited, so I forgot about them. Same with the Naked King release. Both contained Nicaraguan tobacco, I believe, and as a big Fuente fan, I would love to see what they do with it.

I actually had some old Fuente- made Cuesta Rey that were made with Havana tobacco, including a Havana Maduro wrapper. It was amazing, even at 70 years old.
I believe the Fuentes have a factory in Nicaragua now. Who knows when they'll start cranking out cigars, but they'll hopefully have some interesting ones coming out of there. Have you had the Ashton Symmetry? It has Nicaraguan leaf. I had been waiting for the Pinks to show up at my B&M, but maybe they already came and went between my visits? :cry:

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
If history repeats itself the quality will go into the crapper as demand exceeds the ability to supply quality. After Cigar Aficionado reviewed the Hoyo de Monterrey Double Coronas a feeding frenzy started for Cuban cigars and the processing stages were shortened or simplified. There's only so much product that can be made from a small area before the quality hits the skids.

Jan 28, 2018
Sarasota, FL
I believe the Fuentes have a factory in Nicaragua now. Who knows when they'll start cranking out cigars, but they'll hopefully have some interesting ones coming out of there. Have you had the Ashton Symmetry? It has Nicaraguan leaf. I had been waiting for the Pinks to show up at my B&M, but maybe they already came and went between my visits? :cry:
They do and they already are.

craig61a

Lifer
Apr 29, 2017
Minnesota USA
If history repeats itself the quality will go into the crapper as demand exceeds the ability to supply quality. After Cigar Aficionado reviewed the Hoyo de Monterrey Double Coronas a feeding frenzy started for Cuban cigars and the processing stages were shortened or simplified. There's only so much product that can be made from a small area before the quality hits the skids.
^1+

This has been discussed many times over the last several years, and yes, the general consensus is that quality would degrade considerably.

The Cuban economy has disintegrated. Corruption is widespread. The state-run agriculture sector is starved for investment.

Create additional demand on that of even 50% and what do you think will happen? Opening the US market to Cuban cigars will create such a demand that they will be sold out quicker than Stonehaven, and the quality will be of a gas station Swisher. Remember the fable about the Goose that laid the golden egg?

pantsBoots

Lifer
Jul 21, 2020
Terra Firma
Pinks were released around Xmas time, about a month after the Naked Kings. Pinks had Fuente Nicagarguan tobacco in them (don't know which component) and the Naked Kings had a Nicaraguan Corojo wrapper. From what I was reading, even very large accounts only received a couple boxes of Rare Pinks. It seems like it was a small release.

Fuente is perhaps the one manufacturer who can match Habanos SA as far as hype and scarcity. Bummer as I love most of the products from both entities, but I gave up chasing rare stuff a while ago. If a box of Don Arturos or Angel's Share fall into my lap, I'll bite at a decent price (i.e.: at or close to MSRP), but my days of paying upwards of $40/cigar are gone as priorities have shifted and my favorite cigar is still the Por Larrañaga Monte Carlos at $4-5 each.

Reactions: danimalia
Status
Not open for further replies.