PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

wayneteipen

Can't Leave
May 7, 2012
Every now and then I'll find a tobacco that leaves me thinking of how well it would be as a transition for newer pipe smokers from aromatics to Virginias. I see this question asked on forums from time to time so I thought I'd start a thread where some of the more experienced pipe smokers can list the tobaccos that fit this niche for them.
For me, McClelland's Stave Aged 35 is a nice one. Technically it's still an aromatic with a "bourbon" flavor but the Va base is very forward and it's very mild and well behaved. Another one is McCranie's Somerled. It's primarily a Va but has black cavendish added that gives it a mild aromatic flavor.
In my mind, a natural progression might look something like this:
Lane 1Q ----> McClelland's Stave Aged 35 ----> McClelland's 5100 ----> Peter Stokkebye's Luxury Bullseye Flake ----> Samuel Gawith Full Virginia Flake

papipeguy

Lifer
Jul 31, 2010
Bethlehem, Pa.
I've been smoking McC's Staved Aged 35 for awhile now and really like it. I mostly smoke lat blends but this one is special to me so I always have it around. For a non-aro smoker sometimes it's good to have cake after dinner.

FWIW, I'm a scotch drinker and don't care for bourbon but I appreciate what it imparts to pipe tobacco.

jah76

Lifer
Jun 27, 2012
I haven't tried a huge amount of tobaccos but I think 4Noggin's Prairie Wind could be an option. I know it's got a smidge of Perique in it, but it's very light and I think the tobacco is topped with something. I always think vanilla.
It's just a cool, sweet, well balanced smoke IMO.

cortezattic

Lifer
Nov 19, 2009
Chicago, IL
I think the concept is great, Wayne. What comes to mind is the marketing of a transition sampler pack.

I have hardly any experience with hardcore aromatics (cased White Burley), but I do dabble in flavored

tobaccos from time to time; and I think the family of Danish style flakes could play a significant role.
I'm betting that Lawrence will vote to insert Grouse-moor somewhere on the continuum. :lol:

ghost

Lifer
May 17, 2012
4Noggin's Prairie Wind could be an option
I second this suggestion. I tried it once and immediately ordered 4oz to jar. I used to be exclusively an aromatic guy.
I think Wayne has a great idea for a thread, for years I would just keep ordering anything that was a flavoured aromatic and with rare exception avoid anything English, Balkan or VA/Per. I would read the descriptions online and assume it would be too strong or taste bad, but once I branched out I learned that's where a lot of the flavours of a pipe are.
I still like aromatics though, and there are many fabulous ones on the market, but if you're an aromatic guy who hasn't tried any VA's yet- go for it.

pipestud

Lifer
Dec 6, 2012
Robinson, TX.
I actually do not agree with the premise that a new pipe smoker (or even an old one like me), needs to try to "transition" from aromatics to Virginias or any other tobacco type. I know many pipe smokers, young and old, who prefer aromatics to uncased tobaccos. That's like someone posting a question like what Virginia blends are best to help a new pipe smoker progress to Latakia blends or vise versa. If I were a newer pipe smoker and a lover of aromatics, I might wonder why I need to "transition." I do try to tell new pipe smokers to try all types of tobacco blends such as aromatics, Virginias, VaPers, Orientals and Latakias to see which style of tobacco suits them best. My own pipe club currently has several newer pipe smokers. One loves aromatics and can't stomach Virginias because he says they bite the fool out of him. Another aromatic smoking newbie about upchucked on Latakia and a third loves Latakia (he is smoking a pipe after a couple of years smoking cigars).
I agree with ghost. Try them all and eventually the new smoker will settle on the tobacco types that best suits his/her particular palate.
Just my little old two cents.
Pipestud

wayneteipen

Can't Leave
May 7, 2012
Oh, I'm not suggesting anyone should transition to Va's. I'm just saying that if one was interested and wanted a smooth transition there are tobaccos that are good for the cross-over. Kind of like how many suggest the Frog Morton series as a cross-over blend from aromatics to English's. That's all. To each his own and smoke what you like. I still smoke aromatics along with Va's and VaPer's because I like them.

pipestud

Lifer
Dec 6, 2012
Robinson, TX.
I think the Frog Morton series of tobaccos is an excellent choice for anyone who is trying Latakia for the first time. Don't think I'd start them out with the original Froggie but Across the Pond and then On the Town (both with more Orientals and softer Latakia presentation). Then, let them try the eight cylinder Frog Morton.
A true English/Aromatic that I enjoy is Iwan Ries Gourmet English. The Latakia in that one is enhanced with some discreet casing that makes it sweet without taking away from the Latakia flavor. IMO, of course.
Pipestud

Jul 12, 2011
I wouldn't know about transition blends...coming from over 20+ years of cigar smoke'in, I love the full/natural flavor of tobacco....Now I have tried aromatic blends in the past and good ones like Boswell blends, found that I don't really care

for them much, Aro blends that is...My advice as others have said, find the mainstream blends in each category; English, Vs, VaPer, VaBur, etc. and get yourself the 2oz tins to sample each...you might just find out that you are a Full English blend lover or pure V or VaPer lover....Now with my transition from Cigars to Pipe bacci I have sampled over 100-blends in about two years to see what I really would enjoy...I'm a Full English, VaPer/VaBur & V lover now...so many outstanding blends out there....."Smoke'em All"

bigboi

Lifer
Nov 12, 2012
I would venture to say how about McClellends Grey Havens or Deep Hollow. In my opinion its what they are trying to do with the Frog Morton series but only with VA's.

petergunn

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 3, 2013
I actually do not agree with the premise that a new pipe smoker (or even an old one like me), needs to try to "transition" from aromatics to Virginias or any other tobacco type.
yeah as a 30 plus year Aro smoker I thought it was condescending, like I needed fixed or something.

boudreaux

Part of the Furniture Now
Apr 7, 2013
@pipestud +1 on your comments about Frog Morton.
Tried FM On the Bayou and found it might be a good crossover ticket to pair with "Cellar." Had tried Dunhill MM 965, London Mixture, Peterson Hyde Park, and several others, before trying the original FM recently.
Not crazy about any of them so far, except On the Bayou (which is subject to classification, I think).
But today, I've tried Peterson Irish Oak and it's not bad. Still not considering myself a convert to the more English/Balkan blends, but maybe it's a gradual process.
Remains to be seen. I still like a wonderful hint of rich and delightful room note that I get, albeit fleetingly, so I may eventually end up being a codger who smokes his P & W Rumcake all day... :puffy:
On another note, will PM you on a good candidate for the TX HS Sports Hall of Fame from when I was a coach at Groveton, 1982-1983. I was amazed that he was not in there along with Rodney Thomas.

pipestud

Lifer
Dec 6, 2012
Robinson, TX.
Looking forward to seeing who you are nominating. It is tough to get in, no question about it. Thousands of great athletes, coaches and administrators in this great state and only 7-9 inductees each year.
And to get back on topic a bit... The now deceased Texan and inventor of the Wishbone offense is one of our Texas Sports Hall of Fame inductees, Emory Bellard. Back in my sportscasting days when covering Texas A&M (one of his coaching stops), he'd always have a pipe in his mouth at practices. A few years back before he died I asked him whether he still smoked a pipe. He replied that he smoked that one pipe about 15 times a day for 18 years and the only blend he ever smoked was Sir Walter Raleigh. He said he quit smoking because for some reason the pipe stopped tasting good to him. Dadgum, Sir Walter Raleigh smoked 15 times a day in the same pipe for 18 years? Coach Bellard was a tougher man than I'll ever be, that's for sure!
Pipestud

wayneteipen

Can't Leave
May 7, 2012
I posted this in the "Pipe Smoker Basics & Beginners" section for folks to share their experiences and talk about pipe tobacco. My intent wasn't to offend anyone. I thought I clarified that sufficiently. I thought the mood of the forum could use the diversion from all the negativity going on. Apparently, some of the forums members are just in the mood to get out their torches and pitchforks. Seems a good time for me to take a break.

boudreaux

Apr 7, 2013
@wayneteipen - My apologies for going off-topic. Have edited and removed my post, although I don't think it was one to which you refer.

pipestud

Lifer
Dec 6, 2012
Robinson, TX.
I wouldn't get all bowed up, Wayne. Typing a post rather than just sitting around shooting the breeze in person can be troublesome to even the best wordsmiths. There's no real inflection, body language, facial expressions, etc, that we all go by on a daily basis in our "in person" conversations, thus, sometimes intent is accidentally misunderstood. Hey, just the other day I posted something tongue in cheek on another thread that someone ripped my britches over until he discovered the intent of my post.
I think you clarified the intent of your original post very well.
Best,
Pipestude

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
I think some great blends for anyone looking to get into Virginia's for the first time are the following.
Astleys 109

Fribourg & Treyer Cut Virginia Plug

Capstan Blue and Gold Flakes

Dunhill Flake
All are no bite, sweet, tasty, available and not too strong.

tarak

Lifer
Jun 23, 2013
South Dakota
Hey man I totally hear what you're getting at. We all have our preferences, no one is superior to the other. BUT, sometimes we do want to try new things....and I've often navigated through different flavor profiles in that kind of order......be it beer, wine, whiskey, etc.
That being said, I'll give +1 to cigrmaster on the Capstan Blue, and add to that Orlik Golden Sliced. With the caveat of making sure you help them understand how to dry the flakes a bit and then either fold & stuff or rub out.....that at first was a bit of a cumbersome thing to me.
Ive heard from many that Frog Morton is a great foray into other blends.
I'll also say that...if a person is going to like English blends.....they might just like it or not. I went straight from aros to my first English, and although I hated the aroma...I loved the smoke. This year I sort of "got back into" pipe smoking.....threw away a bag of cheap B&M bulk aro and got a tin of Dunhill Nightcap and I really liked it. Then I discovered Vs, VaPers, and VaBurs.....and kinda found my happy place :)

trailspike48

Jan 15, 2013
I believe you can enjoy both. When I tried Lat blends I was hooked with no transition required.
My problem, if it is a problem, is with that catsup/vinegar aroma with some blends. I've heard the smell diminishes with aging.

Status
Not open for further replies.