PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

clunk

Lurker
Apr 9, 2012
What's with this cannot send to the U.S. if you buy with a credit card if the tobacco purchase is made with plastic?. It's on every website we have over here.

pstlpkr

Lifer
Dec 14, 2009
Birmingham, AL
I believe PApipeguy is correct.

It probably goes a little deeper; into international banking rules.

Probably just too many hoops to jump through.

:puffy:

clunk

Lurker
Apr 9, 2012
I believe PApipeguy is correct.

It probably goes a little deeper; into international banking rules.

Probably just too many hoops to jump through.
From what i have been reading it seems that several U.S. states have been pressing all the main credit card companies to stop their cards from being used to buy tobacco. Every major credit card company promptly banned buying tobacco from the U.S. Buying from a bricks and mortar shop requires proof of age. It is now a requirement with online buying, which is not possible. At the moment it is a 100% global ban.
From: "customerservicecenter" customerservicecenter@mastercard.com>

Sent: Friday, April 08, 2005 2:11 PM

Subject: Re:Other
Thank you for your inquiry to MasterCard International.
We understand your concerns. However, MasterCard prohibits the use of its

cards for any illegal purposes. We have been notified by both federal and

state law enforcement authorities that the internet sale and shipment of

cigarettes to or within the U.S. by certain internet merchants violates

numerous federal and state laws, and we are cooperating with the

authorities to ensure that MasterCard cards are not being used for illegal

purposes.
If you believe such transactions should be legal, we urge you to contact

your elected representatives to urge them to take action.
Best regards,

MasterCard International

Customer Service Center

ej

Source

markw4mms

Lifer
Jun 16, 2011
Bremen,GA
From what I understand, if you want to make a purchase from any of those retailers, you need to communicate with them via an email and arrange a wire transfer of the funds for payment, or send an international money order.. just can't do it with a credit card.

arabpipesmoker

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 7, 2012
My friend

Not sure i understand your situation but i am from Saudi Arabia and have ordered Pipes with tobacco from US websites and pay through PayPal while shipping using Aramex Express.

So far everything working fine, but i think there is some regulation regarding natural tobacco leaf at US customs to ship outside US.

Good luck

Wasim

wnghanglow

Part of the Furniture Now
Mar 25, 2012
Use your credit card through paypal, gets around te issue, also you don't have to give your credit card info to all your websites. Seems safer to me.

charlesdaveed

Lurker
May 25, 2012
Hi.., I am from Dubai. I ordered Pipes with tobacco from US websites and pay through PayPal. I never noticed any problem in doing this. It depends on the site you are selected also. Use your credit card through paypal. It is the best way and try it.
Edit: Removed Link, L.

rlunderhill

Can't Leave
Jan 10, 2012
I understand the sale to a minor is possible using a credit card for over seas sales; anything is possible. Even in the US. Does American Express prohibit tobacco sales going over Seas? I'd find that hard to believe if they follow the same rules as Visa. American Express is harder to get than a Visa or MasterCard.

topd

Lifer
Mar 23, 2012
Emerson, Arkansas
I personally believe some of the American on-line retailers are using all kinds of excuses, but it comes down to conversion fees involved with them accepting plastic. The card companies charge them, plus they end up loosing when Pounds, Euro's, Saudi Riyals, or any other foreign currency is converted to American Dollars at 'that days exchange rate'.

jpberg

Lifer
Aug 30, 2011
Yes, let's not confuse the topic, the OP is asking about an American using a credit card to purchase tobacco from a UK based shop. The card companies, a few years ago, complied to a vague Government mandate pertaining to cigarettes, but broadly interpreted it to encompass all tobacco, to save themselves hassle and/or the heavy hand of government/anti's/whatever coming down on them.
As stated above, tobacco can still be purchased from the UK, it just takes a bit more delicacy.
It had better be tobacco you damn well love though, as it will cost you major dollars.

colcolt

Part of the Furniture Now
Jun 11, 2012
Some credit card companies have certain countries banned so that you can't order even pipes from them. I'm a recent testimony to that but, the credit union I got the card from lifted the ban so I could order from the UK.

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
Top, credit card companies rob their customers when it comes to currency conversion, they do not lose money. If the Euro is at say 1.30 today, they will wack you up to 1.35 and call it a conversion fee. Citibank had a class action law suit against them years ago for going way overboard on these fees and had to settle a claim. I ended up getting a stupid little check from them. Back in the day I would ask my CC company what the conversion fees were and use the company with the lowest.
Guys this is just the beginning, soon every credit card company and processor will be telling every on line retailer they will not allow tobacco sales, it is just a matter of time. Right now the smart etailers are using processors who allow it, then there are dummies like Mars who actually will not ship to 5 states including the largest in the nation so he can save money with the processor he is using. I am sure the processors who are allowing tobacco sales are charging higher rates.

Status
Not open for further replies.