PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

andymac

Lurker
Sep 28, 2017
I am new to the idea of making my own pipes. Not sure if it has ever been asked before, but...

is it possible to build your own blank for bowl construction out of multiple types of wood and gluing them together in a layered fashion? If so, what type of glue would need to be used? How well would the pipe hold up while being smoked? Has anyone ever tried this?
Thanks ahead of time for any information you may have!!
Edited by jvnshr: Title capitalization.

warren

Lifer
Sep 13, 2013
Foothills of the Chugach Range, AK
Laminating to make a pipe blank? Certainly possible, might be striking. Many wood glues are nontoxic, make sure you select nontoxic woods. Properly executed joinery will make for strong joints, stronger than the surrounding wood. Different woods expand at different rates. So, you've got a lot of research, trial and error, etc. ahead of you. I doubt you'd be the first, I faintly remember seeing a laminated pipe or two, somewhere/sometime.
Depending on the thickness of the ply, you could skip the glue and peg with contrasting woods. Properly executed you could create a one off piece of art. Now, whether it would smoke well? That is the pertinent question!

Vauen makes a laminated pipe, but it has a solid briar core, so that the glue never touches the burning tobacco.

cfb433cc5305d41e6c8fa0e1e60fb978.jpg

chiefwannapuff

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 13, 2017
My best guess it's no different than making a cutting board for the block, then drill. You could also fake different woods by using the same wood, but reversing the grain, and/or staining each piece a different color, before joining.
Could be a fun project.

andymac

Lurker
Sep 28, 2017
Thank you all for the great information. I didn't think about doing a briar core with the laminate around it. I really like the layered look in other wood projects and I am looking forward to carving my own pipes.
This is my first time on this forum. I look forward to seeing what everyone is up to.
Thanks again!!

mikestanley

Lifer
May 10, 2009
Akron area of Ohio
If the glued area is where burning tobacco was going to be, I wouldn’t want any part of such a pipe. The temperatures the glue can take is an issue as well.

Mike S

zack24

Lifer
May 11, 2013
You really need to do this with a briar liner...A straight glue up with epoxy or any other glue I can think of won't hold up to the heat and moisture. Mike is totally correct about not wanting to heat epoxy and then inhale...Standing rule is never put glue or exotic hardwoods into the smoke stream...

Status
Not open for further replies.