Cracks, Splits, Canyons!/ Buy/Dunhill or Other Fine P. ?

SmokingPipes.com Updates

New Cigars

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

ABel7son

Might Stick Around
Dec 29, 2020
New York City
Hello ,
Is looking for a very expensive pipe,IMG_2336.jpgIMG_2335.jpgIMG_2333.jpg but with faults relatively reasonable idea if you have Champagne taste and a beer budget. If you could do the work yourself?
The Dunhill with the massive splits went for $75.

Thanks

STP

Lifer
Sep 8, 2020
Northeast USA
Are you asking about buying the pipe pictured? If so, then no. Are you asking if you should buy a Dunhill or other fine pipes? If so, then yes... probably... maybe. While Dunhill makes great pipes, there are many others that offer similar quality, material, shape, style, etc., for much less.

Reactions: CoffeeAndBourbon

ABel7son

Might Stick Around
Dec 29, 2020
New York City
Not 100% sure what you're asking, but if it is "Is that pipe fixable?"
The answer is no. Don't buy it.
Thank , but there are TWO pipes in the post . One 4 huge splits and one cracking or small separations . Is the second one "fixable with pipe Mud and spit ?

ABel7son

Might Stick Around
Dec 29, 2020
New York City
Are you asking about buying the pipe pictured? If so, then no. Are you asking if you should buy a Dunhill or other fine pipes? If so, then yes... probably... maybe. While Dunhill makes great pipes, there are many others that offer similar quality, material, shape, style, etc., for much less.
I would love a Dunhill that I could get for a very reasonable sum and do a cleaning and some repair and only,... if she is a first rate smoker . I wonder if some of these very smoked in pipes are a sign ,that thay were really appreciated, and would be great smokers if repairable . like the 1971 Jaguar E Type V 12 I was in , that you just won't to keep driving it , in till you Drove it off the earth .
I have only one pipe at the moment which I bought years ago, an Upshall s and it smokes brilliantly .

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
I wonder if some of these very smoked in pipes are a sign ,that thay were really appreciated
Likely the original owner smoked one pipe at a time and discarded it for another once they burned them out.

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
a good argument for getting a another pipe when and if I find myself to be a frequent daily smoker .
I smoke the same pipe multiple times per day for a week or more before changing them, but I smoke them cool and clean them after each smoke. They all look good as new. Here's a Big Ben that was gifted to me 30 years ago and is still pristine.

20200426_213446.jpg

Reactions: ChuckMijo

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
I wouldn't spend a nickel on a cracked pipe. Why do that when there are so many other fine options? Dunhill is certainly the best known pipe, but that doesn't make it the best made pipe. Among British makes there are plenty of others, Charatan, Sasieni, BBB, GBD, Comoy, and Barling that are just a good. And for the money you'd fork out for a damaged Dunhill you can get one of these in good to excellent condition that will smoke every bit as good, and possibly better. I own 16 Dunhills and rarely smoke any of them anymore. If owning a Dunhill is a goal, save up until you can find one to your liking that isn't roadkill.

mtwaller

Lifer
Nov 21, 2018
Atlanta, GA
Danish Pipe Shop frequently updates their stock of estate Dunhill’s. Many can be had for reasonable prices (that’s a relative term, depending on what you feel comfortable spending). I got a petite mid-60’s group 3 shell for around $100. Rim is dark and the chamber is slightly out of round, but smokes like a champ.

ABel7son

Might Stick Around
Dec 29, 2020
New York City
Thank's you all, I can assure you that neither one is on the menu. One thing I am amazed at the prices Dunhill goes for on eBay in practically any condition. The one with the four huge crevices, Really went for $75. And I've seen others go for money too.
I'm delighted to hear that there are many pipes that smoke as well as Dunhill .

ABel7son

Might Stick Around
Dec 29, 2020
New York City
I wouldn't spend a nickel on a cracked pipe. Why do that when there are so many other fine options? Dunhill is certainly the best known pipe, but that doesn't make it the best made pipe. Among British makes there are plenty of others, Charatan, Sasieni, BBB, GBD, Comoy, and Barling that are just a good. And for the money you'd fork out for a damaged Dunhill you can get one of these in good to excellent condition that will smoke every bit as good, and possibly better. I own 16 Dunhills and rarely smoke any of them anymore. If owning a Dunhill is a goal, save up until you can find one to your liking that isn't roadkill.
You have 16 Dunhills wow,...... and you don't smoke them anymore that often? You must have a lot of pipes!
You know what?, I don't have one Dunhill. But I have an Upshall, which is such a lovely smoking pipe and is so refined in the way it's made I thought I might get something equal to it. My job unfortunately ended so I have maybe around $50 or 60 that I would like to spend in the new future , That's smokes as well as the Upshall.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I agree with several comments above. People seem to turn up Dunhills in good repair at remarkably low prices. But if you can't locate those, with some research and experience, you can locate briar pipes that are excellent smokers within a modest budget. It requires some patience, and no brand snobbery, and the occasional steep discount or sale, but they are out there all the time. The special edition MM cobs with good long-lasting acrylic stems go for about $25, and they last for decades in many cases, or more.

Rigidman

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 10, 2020
Richmond VA. Vicinity.
I've bought a lot of pipes from eBay in a short time. The phrase Caveat Emptor was never more correct.

Sometimes you can get lucky. I've gotten several pipes under $10. Savinelli, Sasieni, BBB, Parker, Hardcastle, and many others.

Most just need to be cleaned and sanitized. Others need stem repair/replacement, cracks repaired, refinished, and some are just parts. Got the busted ones in lots or to get experience repairing them.

I got some really nice pipes in lots too. A couple were about $1 a pipe. I have a couple Dunhills in need of repair. One has a cracked bowl the other has a break out on the shank.

Once the shank is repaired and banded it'll be fine. The cracked bowl I'm sending to briarville for repair. It's currently beyond my experience. I do have some inexpensive pipes to practice on. I could've waited until I learned and recouped some of my money but I plan to sell one of the Dunhills and keep the other.

I've had pipes with glued in stems. Stems glued to the shank with no tenon. A flash light in the bowl showed light where the shank and stem met. People do really dumb things for a buck.

I've returned a lot of pipes. Even to those that list them as is or no returns. They're simply not as described or unrepairable and unusable.

If it showed a crack in the pictures or it was mentioned and it was overlooked, then that's on me. But if they went out of their way to hide damage I'm getting my money back

If they sold a pipe with the stem glued in, I'm getting my money back. How can you not know?

Even if you know nothing about pipes. If you sell used items, if you're an honest person, you inspect the items before shipping to make sure it wasn't damaged, or if it was operational.

Whatever you're selling, you inspect it, unless you just don't care. In which case you're going to get a lot of returns.

Every time I get a pipe now I get my magnifying glass and a loupe to look for cracks. First thing though, I remove the stem.

Got a meer pipe once. There must have been a little glue still on the stem when they put them together because with very little effort I unscrewed it and a piece of meer came with it.

Where it was stuck together, a piece of stem and meer dropped to the floor and broke apart. I can glue it no big deal. But I told the seller, they refunded 30%. Was surprised they offered.

Now before I buy any pipes I have a list of questions and if the pictures don't show everything I need to see I ask for them. If they refuse, make excuses, or don't answer, I don't buy from them.

I have a list of good sellers and bad. I put a note in so I know.

This all started because I wanted to increase my pipe collection. I also found out I needed to let them rest.

I started out with 2-3 pipes. Bought some estates that needed cleaning. Then a couple lots. Then a couple more.

Then I wanted to learn repair so I purposely bought cracked pipes, pipes needing refinishing, and pipes with stems needing repair or replacement.

I was working on a pair of Calabash gourd pipes today. Some need new inserts. But I'm not buying them all at once. I'm waiting to get some of my money back.

One of them I'm keeping, the other I'll sell. Haven't decided which I'm keeping yet. A couple went to briarville but after his inspection I found out one had a burn out, the other has a glued in insert.

Just finished getting one of those out today. A pain in the ass!! But it was gypsum not meer.

Gypsum is thinner and a different color. It was used in really old pipes from my understanding.

Sometimes I'd have to maneuver the pick a certain way to get purchase on the piece and when it popped off the pick ripped across my hand or thumb. SOB comes to mind.

Anyway I had to look for my old leather Army gloves, finally found them and put one on my left hand.

Before that I put on one of my mechanics gloves but the pick went through the glove and got stuck. MFR was the word. Needless to say the leather did its job. Took me 3 hours to find them.

People move my stuff and they don't bother to tell me. That ever happen to y'all? Does it piss you off too.

"I don't know" 3 words you wish you could grab and choke them with. Or how about "Where'd you leave it?" If it was where I left it I wouldn't be asking if you saw them would I?

Anyway, pipe sales are a little better after the holidays I decided I'd put some pipes online to sell after some cleaning and repair.

Sold a couple all ready, enough to get me a nice working overhauled Dunhill Rollagas and a working Laque De Chine DuPont Ligne 2. Not a copy. I do have a couple "Memorial" DuPonts. I liked their looks.

Some people think they're worth more and they can keep them. Not paying $50-$60+ for a fake knockoff when I can get it for $20.

Took a while watching and waiting. After awhile it paid off. Bought the Dunhill then a couple days later I got the DuPont. Wasn't even looking for a DuPont.

Sold one of my guns to my son too so I'd have some extra cash. Been bugging me for awhile about it. It's an old Tokarev 7.62x25. Like brand new but it was made in 64, same year I was.

Patience, determination, and patience. Yes I said patience twice. Coffee doesn't hurt either. Nor does a pipe with your favorite tobacco. The only thing I wish is that they'd stop making them 6-9 day auctions. Reason for putting patience twice.

I was going to buy one that needed overhauling, but most of them had beat up cases that averaged $40-$50 so you'd have to get a nice case for about $30, then a repair kit for $15.

By then your in for $85-$95, if the shipping isn't $29-$30+. So I started looking for a working or overhauled one.

Got very lucky and got one for $65. But because of Covid they couldn't ship it out of the country for the free shipping so I added $15 for expedited shipping.

The overhauled DuPont was even a better deal. I got it for $58 including shipping. Its a little distressed looking but working.

Just looked over what I had written. A bit much. So I'll stop now.

Later, thanks

Last edited:

Rigidman

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 10, 2020
Richmond VA. Vicinity.
I've bought a lot of pipes from eBay in a short time. The phrase Caveat Emptor was never more correct.

Sometimes you can get lucky. I've gotten several pipes under $10. Savinelli, Sasieni, BBB, Parker, Hardcastle, and many others.

Most just need to be cleaned and sanitized. Others need stem repair/replacement, cracks repaired, refinished, and some are just parts.

I got some really nice pipes in lots. A couple were about $1 a pipe. I have a couple Dunhills in need of repair. One has a cracked bowl the other has a break out on the shank.

Once the shank is repaired and banded it'll be fine. The cracked bowl I'm sending to briarville for repair. It's currently beyond my experience.

I do have some inexpensive pipes to practice on. I could've waited until I learned and recouped some of my money but I plan to sell one of the Dunhills and keep the other.

I've had pipes with glued in stems. Stems glued in with no tenon. A flash light in the bowl showed light where the shank and stem met. People do really dumb things for a buck.

I've returned a lot of pipes. Even to those that list them as is. They're simply not as described or unrepairable and unusable.

If it showed a crack in the pictures or it was mentioned and it was overlooked, then that's on me. But if they went out of their way to hide damage I'm getting my money back

If they sold a pipe with the stem glued in, I'm getting my money back. How can you not know?

Even if you know nothing about pipes. If you sell used items, if you're an honest person, you inspect the items before shipping to make sure it wasn't damaged, or not operating.

Whatever you're selling, you don't ship unless unless you just don't care. In which case you're going to get a lot of returns.

Every time I get a pipe now I get my magnifying glass and a loupe to look for cracks. First thing though, I remove the stem.

Got a meer pipe once. There must have been a little glue still on the stem when they put them together because with very little effort I unscrewed it and a piece of meer came with it.

Where it was stuck together, a piece of stem and meer dropped to the floor and broke apart. I can glue it no big deal. But I told the seller, they refunded 30%. Was surprised they offered.

Now if I buy any pipes I have a list of questions and if the pictures don't show everything I need to see I ask for them. If they refuse, or don't answer, don't buy from them.

I have a list of good sellers and bad. I put a note in so I know.

This all started because I wanted to increase my pipe collection. Then I wanted to learn repair so I purposely bought cracked pipes, pipes needing refinishing, and pipes with stems needing repair or replacement.

I was working on a pair of Calabash gourd pipes today. Feels good to be doing something. Some need new inserts. But I'm not buying them all at once. I'm waiting to get some of my money back.

One of them I'm keeping, the other I'll sell. Haven't decided yet. A couple went to briarville but after his inspection I found out one had a burn out, the other has a glued in insert. Just finished getting one of those out. A pain in the ass!! But it was gypsum not meer.

Gypsum is thinner and a different color. It was used in really old pipes from my understanding. Sometimes I'd have to maneuver the pick a certain way to get purchase on the piece and when it popped off the pick ripped across my hand or thumb. SOB comes to mind. Anyway I found my old army leather gloves and put one on my left hand.

I put on one of my mechanics gloves but the pick went through the glove and got stuck. MFR was the word. Needless to say the leather did its job. Took me 3 hours to find them.

People move my stuff and they don't bother to tell me. That ever happen to y'all? Does it piss you off too. "I don't know" 3 words you wish you could grab and choke them with. Or how about "where'd you leave it?" If it was where I left it I wouldn't be asking if you saw them would I?

Anyway, pipe sales are a little better after the holidays I decided I'd get some pipes online to sell after some cleaning and repair.

Sold a couple all ready, enough to get me a nice working overhauled Dunhill Rollagas and a working Laque De Chine DuPont Ligne 2. Not a copy.

Took a while watching and waiting. After awhile it paid off. Bought the Dunhill then a couple days later I got the DuPont. Sold one of my guns to my son too so I'd have some extra cash.

Been bugging me for awhile about it. It's an old Tokarev 7.62x25. Like brand new but it was made in 64, same year I was.

Status
Not open for further replies.