PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner

Ronon

Lurker
Dec 18, 2021
I have a number of unusually shaped hand-carved pipes made from rare Amazonian woods which I recently brought back to dry Winter weather and have developed cracks (including some around the bowl). Have subsequently started storing them in Tupperware with some Boveda packs. Looking for recommendations of someone who can help repair them (I’m in NYC, and I know this is a stretch but someone local would be ideal) or tips on what to try. Would be especially interested in a Kintsugi-style repair

Attachments

• 885EBC85-C066-4E88-B557-053F0F014F47.jpeg
    885EBC85-C066-4E88-B557-053F0F014F47.jpeg
    128.1 KB · Views: 18
  • FD2842BA-AC51-4F30-A00F-B17BCDF1EF72.jpeg
    FD2842BA-AC51-4F30-A00F-B17BCDF1EF72.jpeg
    148.7 KB · Views: 18
  • C5B7B7C8-33C4-45A3-BD08-2209CE0CCA0C.jpeg
    C5B7B7C8-33C4-45A3-BD08-2209CE0CCA0C.jpeg
    133.3 KB · Views: 20
  • E7D5437C-F021-47CF-B3B7-48912AB49326.jpeg
    E7D5437C-F021-47CF-B3B7-48912AB49326.jpeg
    143.5 KB · Views: 18
  • 4E1FB753-79F9-474C-A036-D34880A3C95E.jpeg
    4E1FB753-79F9-474C-A036-D34880A3C95E.jpeg
    121.8 KB · Views: 17
  • Sad
Reactions: BROBS and Toast

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I know nothing about rare Amazonian woods, and I'm not sure how much most experienced tobacco pipe repairmen would know. This might be more in the line of furniture or art sculptural carving people who might have a feel for these woods. These may just not be well cured and therefore doomed. But I'll watch this thread in case there is a better answer than mine.

Dec 3, 2021
Pennsylvania & New York
I wonder if you should contact a preservationist at the Museum of Natural History and find out how they would preserve these. I would think treatments would vary depending what your goals are, i.e., just preventing further deterioration, making them smokable, just making them cosmetically intact looking, etc.

When you see briar pipe restorations with regard to cracks, you'll see the end points of the cracks get drilled with small holes to prevent further spreading of the crack, and filled with a mixture of briar dust and cyno. That kind of solution may not be right in this context. If you're just looking to close up the cracks, there might be a way to clamp with glue. That may not be smokable, though. Best of luck to you!

Dec 3, 2021
Pennsylvania & New York
Leaving them "as is" may be the best solution. With antiques, original patinas on furniture are more highly valued. With book collecting, for some collectors, an "unsophisticated" dust jacket is much prefable to one that has been "restored" or touched up. It's one thing to shine up a pipe, but there are a lot of people butchering pipes out there with what they call restorations. Sometimes, less is more.

Reactions: BROBS and macaroni

Ronon

Lurker
Dec 18, 2021
I wonder if you should contact a preservationist at the Museum of Natural History and find out how they would preserve these. I would think treatments would vary depending what your goals are, i.e., just preventing further deterioration, making them smokable, just making them cosmetically intact looking, etc.

When you see briar pipe restorations with regard to cracks, you'll see the end points of the cracks get drilled with small holes to prevent further spreading of the crack, and filled with a mixture of briar dust and cyno. That kind of solution may not be right in this context. If you're just looking to close up the cracks, there might be a way to clamp with glue. That may not be smokable, though. Best of luck to you!
They’re for smoking, and are in fact currently smokable, so mainly want to prevent further deterioration and secondarily make them look intact or better than new

Reactions: BROBS

Ronon

Lurker
Dec 18, 2021
Leaving them "as is" may be the best solution. With antiques, original patinas on furniture are more highly valued. With book collecting, for some collectors, an "unsophisticated" dust jacket is much prefable to one that has been "restored" or touched up. It's one thing to shine up a pipe, but there are a lot of people butchering pipes out there with what they call restorations. Sometimes, less is more.
They’re not currently antiques, but I’d like them to last long enough to be in the future. In the present they are meant for smoking though. Mainly want to prevent further deterioration

Ronon

Lurker
Dec 18, 2021
I know nothing about rare Amazonian woods, and I'm not sure how much most experienced tobacco pipe repairmen would know. This might be more in the line of furniture or art sculptural carving people who might have a feel for these woods. These may just not be well cured and therefore doomed. But I'll watch this thread in case there is a better answer than mine.
I hear that. Asking here because furniture and art folks won’t necessarily have solutions that are both non-toxic when used for smoking with a lighter and can stand up to that heat

jhowell

Part of the Furniture Now
Jul 25, 2019
Phoenix, Arizona
A lot of museum curators soak wooden in PG to stabilize them and prevent drying out. Since some tobaccos have PG added, I would imagine it would be OK here as well. They were obviously carved from green wood. You would need a Boveda pack with the same RH as a rain forest...

Ronon

Lurker
Dec 18, 2021
A lot of museum curators soak wooden in PG to stabilize them and prevent drying out. Since some tobaccos have PG added, I would imagine it would be OK here as well. They were obviously carved from green wood. You would need a Boveda pack with the same RH as a rain forest...
Excuse my ignorance but what is PG?

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
There are many woods that are dangerous to use to make a pipe, you better do some research before smoking them.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Some wood is not safe to smoke, and others are not safe to work with. I have a cocobolo pipe (a small pocket pipe freehand), and I have confidence that the carver knows the hazard and made this one as a one-off, being careful about not inhaling the sawdust.

PG is (I don't know about the spelling) propylene glycol, used as a preservative in many of the old time blends, and said to taste bad by many modern pipe smokers.