PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

irwinmetro

Starting to Get Obsessed
May 31, 2013
Just a few minutes ago as I was nearly at the end of my bowl, I heard a slight crackling sound being emitted from my pipe. This has happened several times in the last week, and always right at the end of the bowl.
The sound reminds me of the dying embers of a campfire and makes me a little nervous about burning a hole through my pipe. Now after a brief clean and inspection there doesn't appear to be any damage. I wouldn't give it any thought, but the sound can't be heard during the beginning and middle section, only at the end. Also, the pipe itself isn't overly hot. It certainly doesn't fail the five second test.
The only answer I can come up with is it's either the briar burning, or the moisture collected in the bottom "boiling" so to speak. Does anyone have any insight?

fnord

Lifer
Dec 28, 2011
Topeka, KS
What an excellent question.
I've heard that sound for years in my burners and would love to know as well.
(Irwin, your pipes are okay. It's got to be a Physics Q&A.)
Fnord

thuber88

Might Stick Around
Feb 3, 2013
I've had a few Black Cav aro's do that, Brigadier Black Gettysburg was most noticable

4dotsasieni

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 6, 2013
Moisture accumulates in the bottom of the bowl, particularly with aromatic tobaccos. Also, many aro's are cased with sugar-based flavourings, and they also can build up in the bowl bottom. So what you hear is these wet elements being consumed by the fire - not briar.
Once you start to hear the crackling noise it may be a good time to finish the smoke, unless you like smoking wet dottle. Or you can try to dry it out by inserting a pipe cleaner through the stem, then tamp the remaining tobacco down. This should allow you to continue smoking without hearing the crackling sound, and without getting the sour taste of wet tobacco.

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
The only time I have heard that sound was when I dabbled in aromatics last summer for a bit. I never hear it with my flakes. I wondered what the hell that sound was, now I know.

smeigs

Lifer
Jun 26, 2012
moisture... your either smoking too fast, and or your tobacco is a bit moist. I get this often because i still do both! dont forget to clean your pipes either... This may help along with letting your tobacco dry a bit and smoking a bit slower.

Status
Not open for further replies.