PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

renfield

Lifer
Oct 16, 2011
Kansas
This newish blend has been getting a fair amont of favorable attention and on an impulse I cracked open a tin with a few months on it. In general most Burley blends don’t do it for me and Redburn wasn’t wowing me either.
I’d been cutting slices with a knife and rubbing them out, resulting in short ribbons. Neither briar nor meerschaum in any size bowl of made it sing. Drying helped some, but not dramatically. What worked for me was tearing off chunks with my fingers and rubbing them out to keep the strands longer. Smoking it in a cob made all the difference. The toppings seemed to recede into the distant background and Redburn gave a cool, dry, flavorful smoke.
I love it when a plan comes together.
Ren

jacks6

Lifer
May 9, 2016
I think this is one the best blends they've put out in a long time. Great stuff!!!

cortezattic

Lifer
Nov 19, 2009
Chicago, IL
I agree, Ren, and Jacks6. Breaking up the cake by hand is the way to go. While I'm not a big fan of strong toppings, the sweet rum in this blend is awesome. (Kind of reminds me of fruitcake.) It's easily detectable in the smoke, but the blend is still Burley forward with a "no nonsense" tobacco flavor. :puffy:

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
That's how I do all of their crumble cakes. Black Frigate, Briar Fox, Night Train, Redburn, etc. I then gravity fill with no tamping and smoke away. You may also like Belmont Station.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Being a burley guy, I think I'd have an entirely different experience, but I might like the blend. Most C&D blends involving burley I'd rate high. I'm just finishing a tin of Riverboat Gambler.

renfield

Lifer
Oct 16, 2011
Kansas
I’ve continued working through the tin and have found that rubbing it out into long strands and letting it dry out to a very dry condition in a closed tin for a few days made it even more to my tastes. As was mentioned above a looser pack seems to benefit the blend as well.
As a point of reference Pegasus is a Burley blend I enjoy. Redburn is more complex and a smoother smoke. Good stuff.

May 3, 2010
Las Vegas, NV
One of the guys at a local pipe meet up randomly bought a tin and cracked it while we were hanging out one night. The first bowl was enjoyable. At about the mid point of the bowl the flavors seemed to die down a bit. I then bought a tin myself and as I smoked through it that didn't happen so much, the flavors stayed more consistent. I just tore off a chunk from the cake and rubbed it out. That really helped with the consistency and helped the flavors come more to the forefront. I'll probably order 10 tins of it for future.

Status
Not open for further replies.