PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

GCW

Can't Leave
Nov 17, 2019
Seattle
Any advice on fixing a cracked victorian era Amber stem? Worthwhile or better to replace the stem?

unadoptedlamp

Part of the Furniture Now
Mar 19, 2014
Super glue works if it is a clean break without chips. To my knowledge, most (if not all) are not solid pieces of amber, but rather a bonded collection of amber dust or pieces. Who knows what was used as an adhesive back then, but I doubt super glue would be any worse for you, if you're worried about that kind of thing.

Just be sure to put a pipe cleaner in the stem before you glue just in case you're not 100% accurate so you can move it around and ensure the draft stays open. With careful application, you shouldn't have glue in the draft hole anyway.

They're very easy stems to sand if you have a selection of sandpaper up to polishing grit. Should be able to reasonably hide the line. I would try a repair before getting a new stem if it were mine.

ashdigger

Lifer
Jul 30, 2016
Vegas Baby!!!
Just be sure to put a pipe cleaner in the stem before you glue just in case you're not 100% accurate so you can move it around and ensure the draft stays open. With careful application, you shouldn't have glue in the draft hole anyway.
I always coat the pipe cleaner in beeswax or Vaseline. It works great and the cleaner removes easily after the glue dried.

I use marine epoxy. It’s more durable than Super Glue.

ABel7son

Might Stick Around
Dec 29, 2020
New York City
Repaired best I could with the glue and sandpaper recommendations
You did a nice job. Now , if you want to fill in any gaps or spaces learn the technique of super glue and baking soda combo, from YouTube. It fills in spaces with a very strong Bond.

GCW

Can't Leave
Nov 17, 2019
Seattle
That looks like amber-ite which is a form of Bakelite. Amber usually feels like glass against the teeth. Some of the Victorian/Edwardian amber-esque concoctions can be damn right dangerous to your health. The only one I trust is Redmanol otherwise anything else gets re-stemmed pronto!

I hadn't heard of the Redmanol so I looked it up and found this very interesting article:

Status
Not open for further replies.