PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Snook

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 2, 2019
Idaho
Hello all. I was going through and deep cleaning my pipes today when I noticed that one of my stems has a cracked tenon! It seems to still be sturdy and only gives just a little bit when pressed. Do you think this is an issue, or will the stem be fine if I handle it carefully? I don't smoke too often, and disassemble and deep clean my pipes maybe every six months. I would just hate for the crack to get any worse or have a piece of the tenon break off.

Also, the tenon is "fuzzy", as if the motion of twisting it into or out of the shank has roughed it up a little. Several of my other pipes are like this as well. Would you say that's normal, or have I done something wrong?

Another question while I'm on the subject: I feel like I go through a ridiculous amount of pipe cleaners and Q-tips when I do an alcohol cleaning treatment! Is that normal? This time around, I'm running the bowl and stem under warm water while I scrub with a shank brush prior to swabbing with alcohol. That seems to get a lot of initial gunk out, but I feel like I'm still having to use so many cleaners! When you all clean (or at least those of you who do the alcohol cleaning), are you swabbing/wiping/swabbing/wiping until there's literally no brown residue?

A final question: how many of you are cleaning the inside of the bowl with alcohol as well? It seems like the majority of folks seem to clean the shank and stem but leave the bowl. A similar majority seem to use the salt treatment only on estate pipes and not as a regular cleaning method. Just curious to see how you all handle that part as well.

Anyway, sorry for all the questions and the long post. Thank you everyone for your help!

IMG_1808.jpeg

Reactions: Briar Tuck

verporchting

Lifer
Dec 30, 2018
That’s a very unusual tenon and I’ve got no idea about the fuzzy phenomenon but I see what you mean. I wonder if both are a result of twisting the stem in/out while wet from smoking or alcohol or both?

I rarely use the alcohol treatment except for cleaning estates but I regularly clean my own pipes. I generally don’t clean inside the bowl and never with alcohol except initially cleaning estates - just twisting a paper towel after smoking and reaming once the cake builds up more than I want.

If you are getting a ton of gunk in the mortise perhaps use a shank brush - you will be surprised how well it works and it will significantly reduce the number of pipe cleaners and q-tips used!

bullet08

Lifer
Nov 26, 2018
RTP, NC. USA
Whatever that is stuck in your tenon is cracking the tenon. I don't have that kind of pipe, so no clue what that is. Possibly a filer holder? I can't say how long your tenon will stay intact, but look like it won't be long before something comes off. That outer layer of the tenon looks wet and floppy. Weird.

I do not do deep cleaning. Not saying others shouldn't. But I disassemble my pipe right after each smoke and clean everything. That includes tenon, mortise, chamber, inside surface of stem and draught hole in stummel.

I don't use alcohol at all. I'd rather drink them.

OzPiper

Lifer
Nov 30, 2020
Sydney, Australia
Hello all. I was going through and deep cleaning my pipes today when I noticed that one of my stems has a cracked tenon!
View attachment 195388
Cracked tenon: simple solution is to send to someone for replacement.
Look up "Repair" threads for recommendations
If you're handy then look up "Rebornpipes" on "how to ......."
Another question while I'm on the subject: I feel like I go through a ridiculous amount of pipe cleaners and Q-tips when I do an alcohol cleaning treatment! Is that normal? This time around, I'm running the bowl and stem under warm water while I scrub with a shank brush prior to swabbing with alcohol. That seems to get a lot of initial gunk out, but I feel like I'm still having to use so many cleaners! When you all clean (or at least those of you who do the alcohol cleaning), are you swabbing/wiping/swabbing/wiping until there's literally no brown residue?

A final question: how many of you are cleaning the inside of the bowl with alcohol as well? It seems like the majority of folks seem to clean the shank and stem but leave the bowl. A similar majority seem to use the salt treatment only on estate pipes and not as a regular cleaning method. Just curious to see how you all handle that part as well.

Anyway, sorry for all the questions and the long post. Thank you everyone for your help!
Cleaning:

Bowl: you want to maintain a thin cake, not take it back to bare wood.
After each smoke, I clean up the bowl with my used cleaners folded over
Occasionally I will use a scrunched up paper towel to ream out the chamber
If I am feeling OCD, I'd do a warm water flush (rarely)

Shank/mortise:
This is where all :poop: resides.
Use a strong light to look into the airways.
You will save a lot of time, effort, cleaners, Q-tips and alcohol if you use small drill bits/jeweller's screwdrivers or dental picks to clear out the crud.
I follow that up with hot water flushes, liquid soap and shank brushes
THEN I use alcohol-soaked cleaners/Q-tips

Alcohol soaks:
Using cotton balls rather than salt will avoid a lot of mess
I do this ONLY IF I am deep cleaning an estate pipe or one of my old pipes (in my possession for >40 years).

I clean out my pipes after every smoke with 2-3 pipe cleaners and find that that is sufficient most of the time.
I only deep clean if the pipe smokes sour or 2-3 cleaners still come out "coloured" after a smoke

Hope you find this useful

bullet08

Lifer
Nov 26, 2018
RTP, NC. USA
Chinese made pipe, possibly? Couldn't help. Had to search the Google, but didn't find exact match. But Chinese are still making pipes with stinger and cork lined mortise, or thought it was cork in Chinese pipe.

Reactions: Snook
Dec 3, 2021
Pennsylvania & New York
The fuzz on the tenon looks like it could be fibers that shed off of a pipe cleaner. I’m wondering if you’ve left a bunch of pipe cleaner fibers in the mortise and it’s making for a tight fit of the tenon, causing it to fray. The filter adapter in the tenon reminds me of the 9mm ones made by 8deco.

Cleaning after each smoke instead of waiting several months will probably result in using less pipe cleaners in the long run.

paulfg

Lifer
Feb 21, 2016
Corfu Greece
Whatever that is stuck in your tenon is cracking the tenon. I don't have that kind of pipe, so no clue what that is. Possibly a filer holder? I can't say how long your tenon will stay intact, but look like it won't be long before something comes off. That outer layer of the tenon looks wet and floppy. Weird.

I do not do deep cleaning. Not saying others shouldn't. But I disassemble my pipe right after each smoke and clean everything. That includes tenon, mortise, chamber, inside surface of stem and draught hole in stummel.

Its a filter adapter replacing a 9mm filter

Snook

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 2, 2019
Idaho
That’s a very unusual tenon and I’ve got no idea about the fuzzy phenomenon but I see what you mean. I wonder if both are a result of twisting the stem in/out while wet from smoking or alcohol or both?

I rarely use the alcohol treatment except for cleaning estates but I regularly clean my own pipes. I generally don’t clean inside the bowl and never with alcohol except initially cleaning estates - just twisting a paper towel after smoking and reaming once the cake builds up more than I want.

If you are getting a ton of gunk in the mortise perhaps use a shank brush - you will be surprised how well it works and it will significantly reduce the number of pipe cleaners and q-tips used!
That's what I was thinking, I've twisted the stems in the past while smoking because they weren't aligned properly or what-have-you. Thank you for the info on cleaning, I'll definitely be using the shank brush first going forward!

The thing stuck in the tenon is what I can only assume is a permanent filter? When I first got these pipes, I was confused by this piece as well and even asked the company I bought them from about it. I don't remember what they said now, but it was a normal part of the pipe for this line. The outer layer of the tenon that is cracked is like a soft piece of plastic - it gives a little when pressed on all the pipes I have. I think I will start disassembling and cleaning like you said after every smoke.
That almost looks like cork, is it possible it's a cork lined mortise?
No, it's definitely like a soft plastic. I think it just got scuffed. Maybe the shank is drilled a little tight/rough, so it caused the fuzz.
Cracked tenon: simple solution is to send to someone for replacement.
Look up "Repair" threads for recommendations
If you're handy then look up "Rebornpipes" on "how to ......."

Cleaning:

Bowl: you want to maintain a thin cake, not take it back to bare wood.
After each smoke, I clean up the bowl with my used cleaners folded over
Occasionally I will use a scrunched up paper towel to ream out the chamber
If I am feeling OCD, I'd do a warm water flush (rarely)

Shank/mortise:
This is where all :poop: resides.
Use a strong light to look into the airways.
You will save a lot of time, effort, cleaners, Q-tips and alcohol if you use small drill bits/jeweller's screwdrivers or dental picks to clear out the crud.
I follow that up with hot water flushes, liquid soap and shank brushes
THEN I use alcohol-soaked cleaners/Q-tips

Alcohol soaks:
Using cotton balls rather than salt will avoid a lot of mess
I do this ONLY IF I am deep cleaning an estate pipe or one of my old pipes (in my possession for >40 years).

I clean out my pipes after every smoke with 2-3 pipe cleaners and find that that is sufficient most of the time.
I only deep clean if the pipe smokes sour or 2-3 cleaners still come out "coloured" after a smoke

Hope you find this useful
Thanks for all the info, OzPiper! I think I might live with the crack, but will investigate the repair forums in the future if/when it is needed. I appreciate the input regarding cleaning. That's all very helpful and I'll try the cotton balls instead of salt. Headed to the store today on my lunch so I'll pick some up!
About the fuzz are the pipes all one brand? Mever seen or heard of that.
Yes, the pipes are all Brebbia Ninja Sabbiatas. Just different shapes.
Chinese made pipe, possibly? Couldn't help. Had to search the Google, but didn't find exact match. But Chinese are still making pipes with stinger and cork lined mortise, or thought it was cork in Chinese pipe.
Italian - they are Brebbia pipes.
What the hell was inserted into that tenon?

If that's an acrylic stem, keep alcohol away from it. Alcohol can cause acrylic to form micro fissures which, under stress, develop into cracks.

Eventualy you will have to replace this tenon. It's on the way to oblivion.
I think it's a permanent filter? I really don't know. It definitely does not come out. I think you are right about replacement - hopefully I don't have to do that for a while, though!
I'd just replace the tenon and be done with it.
Yeah, I'm think I will do that eventually. Probably not until it gets worse, though. I'll just be gentle with it for the time being.
The fuzz on the tenon looks like it could be fibers that shed off of a pipe cleaner. I’m wondering if you’ve left a bunch of pipe cleaner fibers in the mortise and it’s making for a tight fit of the tenon, causing it to fray. The filter adapter in the tenon reminds me of the 9mm ones made by 8deco.

Cleaning after each smoke instead of waiting several months will probably result in using less pipe cleaners in the long run.
I've tried cleaning that crap off so many times, I'm certain that it's the tenon itself shedding/scuffing. But an interesting thought about leaving fibers in the mortise... I'll be more careful about clearing that out. I'll certainly be better about cleaning out more thoroughly after each smoke.
Two words. Dental pick x)
Go on... haha.
Its a filter adapter replacing a 9mm filter
That's what I've been thinking. But they seem to be permanent. No amount of pulling or twisting removes them. Have you ever seen that before?

anotherbob

Lifer
Mar 30, 2019
In the semi-rural NorthEastern USA
Strange Brebbia make a great pipe. So it probably is something you're doing. But you haven't said anything that would indicate this. I am going throw out some wild possiblities. Do you chew on the wrong end of the pipe stem? Did you buy pipe cleaners made out of steel wool?
Though I feel sorry for you and hope we find out what the hell is going on with this. One possibility with any product no matter how great the company is, that there is a bad batch out there and you just happened to have bad luck with it. I am sure we'll get to the bottom of this, but who knows how long it will take.

Reactions: Snook and kcghost

anotherbob

Lifer
Mar 30, 2019
In the semi-rural NorthEastern USA
That's what I've been thinking. But they seem to be permanent. No amount of pulling or twisting removes them. Have you ever seen that before?
yes people have shown several pipes with stem like that. The only issue seems to be that sometimes that part falls out. The consensus seems to be a mass confusion as to why make something that has worked well for decades into something more complicated.

Piping Abe

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 27, 2021
Georgia, USA
Thats a 9mm filter reducer similar to the one pictured below. It looks like it was too large and forced into the tenon, cracking it. The fibers are probably from a pipe cleaner.

You can try and remove the reducer and glue the tenon for an easy fix or send it to a professional.

E3F16140-1B63-40CA-B9D1-734B14814701.jpeg

Reactions: trudger and OzPiper

paulfg

Lifer
Feb 21, 2016
Corfu Greece
That's what I was thinking, I've twisted the stems in the past while smoking because they weren't aligned properly or what-have-you. Thank you for the info on cleaning, I'll definitely be using the shank brush first going forward!

The thing stuck in the tenon is what I can only assume is a permanent filter? When I first got these pipes, I was confused by this piece as well and even asked the company I bought them from about it. I don't remember what they said now, but it was a normal part of the pipe for this line. The outer layer of the tenon that is cracked is like a soft piece of plastic - it gives a little when pressed on all the pipes I have. I think I will start disassembling and cleaning like you said after every smoke.

No, it's definitely like a soft plastic. I think it just got scuffed. Maybe the shank is drilled a little tight/rough, so it caused the fuzz.

Thanks for all the info, OzPiper! I think I might live with the crack, but will investigate the repair forums in the future if/when it is needed. I appreciate the input regarding cleaning. That's all very helpful and I'll try the cotton balls instead of salt. Headed to the store today on my lunch so I'll pick some up!

Yes, the pipes are all Brebbia Ninja Sabbiatas. Just different shapes.

Italian - they are Brebbia pipes.

I think it's a permanent filter? I really don't know. It definitely does not come out. I think you are right about replacement - hopefully I don't have to do that for a while, though!

Yeah, I'm think I will do that eventually. Probably not until it gets worse, though. I'll just be gentle with it for the time being.

I've tried cleaning that crap off so many times, I'm certain that it's the tenon itself shedding/scuffing. But an interesting thought about leaving fibers in the mortise... I'll be more careful about clearing that out. I'll certainly be better about cleaning out more thoroughly after each smoke.

Go on... haha.

The ones I have seen are removable but do get stuck with tar if not removed and cleaned frequently

Reactions: FLDRD

Coreios

Lifer
Sep 23, 2022
United States Of America
I have a pipe thats cracked where yours is. It still fits on and doesn't leak so I don't care. As for cleaning, all I do is run a pipe cleaner through the pipe. Lightly scrape out the bits of tobacco, then use the same pipe cleaner to dust it out. I only deep clean if my pipe taste sour, even then a little Vodka usually does the trick.

Reactions: Snook