PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

xrundog

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 23, 2014
Ames, IA
I bought this pipe primarily for the dated band. It's pretty unusual to find a dated American pipe. Normally I don't go for the woodstock shape. But this one is really nice. As bought, the silver band was badly tarnished. It was all black. Shining that up took more time than anything. The bowl looks like it has been smoked 2-3 times. A couple swipes of sand paper and I had bare wood at the rim. The rubber stem looks like an original push type. A quick swab with a pipe cleaner and the shank and stem were clean.

The band was turned over and engraved. The top has the Greek letters Alpha Delta Phi and the date 1908. The underside has CPF Sterling and some faux hallmarks. The bottom shank is stamped: 76th Annual Convention Minnesota Chapter.

Pretty cool! And it's a good smoking little pipe
CPF%20Woodstock%20Alpha%20Delta%20Phi%201908%201_zpsf3wtmkcv.jpg

CPF%20Woodstock%20Alpha%20Delta%20Phi%201908%202_zpshhrypdyg.jpg

CPF%20Woodstock%20Alpha%20Delta%20Phi%201908%203_zpsukuey5nn.jpg

clickklick

Lifer
May 5, 2014
I live in MN so I'm extra partial, but that thing is amazing! Think of everything it survived!
Although I am suspicious about the stem being original, unless you did a heck of a polishing job to it!

elpfeife

Lifer
Dec 25, 2013
I belonged to Alpha Delta Phi, though not the Minnesota chapter, so I am prejudiced as well. But it is a great looking pipe. :clap:

xrundog

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 23, 2014
Ames, IA
Although I am suspicious about the stem being original, unless you did a heck of a polishing job to it!
I did polish it. Being hardly used though, it didn't need much. It was probably stuck in a drawer where it didn't get enough light to oxidize. Plus, it has the straight profile and a chunky bit with the round hole. And it's old style hard rubber. Seems right for the period.
I'm pretty taken with this one too. It's so rare to find an old American brand pipe with any kind of provenance.

Status
Not open for further replies.