PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Casual

Lifer
Oct 3, 2019
NL, CA
I’ve decided to try out my Hurricane pipe this summer, to see what sort of windy conditions it helps with, to define when to use it. I think this would apply similarly to pipes with metalwork caps, or just using a wind cap on a regular pipe. Any tips from experienced members is appreciated.

CDFAE0D6-354D-4DD6-B67A-B47DA6C95C37.jpeg

I have so far learned one thing, while smoking it on a day with little wind: it increases the temperature in the chamber. I closed the cap on a nice day, little wind, and my normal cadence led to a faster burn, with the typical bad change of taste from overheating the tobacco. I had to smoke with the cap off to get it to smoke properly. This tells me that the cap is going to be a balancing act, slowing the burn if it’s quite windy, but speeding the burn if it’s not windy.

What else is there to learn?

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
What else is there to learn?
What I've learned is that windcaps are a better idea than a practical reality. Close that cap and your pipe is going to smoke hot.

You can attempt to mitigate this somewhat by choosing your coolest smoking blends, maybe English or Burley.

Pack loose. Smoke extra slowly. Forget about a relaxing smoke.

Windcaps were designed for the sort of stubborn jackass who feels entitled to be able to fire up a bowl in the middle of a monsoon.

When I smoke any of mine, I smoke them with the lid hinged open.

bullet08

Lifer
Nov 26, 2018
RTP, NC. USA
Don't have a pipe with built in wind cap. Did try using those shiny bit with spring trigger things. I prefer just loosely cupping the top of bowl with my hand.

Reactions: Casual

luigi

Can't Leave
May 16, 2017
Europe
I'm using a removable windcap all the time but mainly for covering the bowl to prevent the tobacco or some burnt pieces to fall out when putting a pipe in a pocket. It does help to slow down the ember in windy conditions but it's still not magical and can also quickly turn into frustration and tongue bite.

anotherbob

Lifer
Mar 30, 2019
In the semi-rural NorthEastern USA
pack lighter and draw out the sips even more. Longer more gentle drawing really does a lot to make the wind cap experience go much better. With how often I get wind on my lunts the caps are pretty nearly always on my pipes as I smoke them. And honestly it is just different once you get the hang of how to best use them. Resist the urge to puff due to more restricted draw and go long not hard.

anotherbob

Lifer
Mar 30, 2019
In the semi-rural NorthEastern USA
I am a big fan of the wind caps. The geography that I go through on my way to work is always windy. But that said I still call them pipe condoms. Not as fun but helps you not get burned.
Oh sometimes the wind is so bad I use a cap and the hand as wind screen because I have too. Neither would work alone.

Reactions: BROBS and Casual

olkofri

Lifer
Sep 9, 2017
The Arm of Orion
I'm using a removable windcap all the time but mainly for covering the bowl to prevent the tobacco or some burnt pieces to fall out when putting a pipe in a pocket.
This is all I use my windcaps for. I think an advantage of metal caps is that you can light your pipe with them on; I wouldn't try that on that Hurricane pipe of Casual.

Then again, I don't smoke outside in windy conditions: the relighting is just an exercise in frustration and colourful lexicon.

C

carolinasmokes

I only use the spring loaded wind caps for pre-loaded pipes when I travel or sometimes when I am not able to finish a pipe I'll pop one one before I put the pipe in my shirt pocket.

Ethan

Can't Leave
Feb 15, 2021
Massachusetts, USA
I bought one of the classic springy metal ones...have tried it a few times as wind cap with no real positive or negative things to say at this time. Best use is when working on a car. Rolling around on a creeper underneath, lying on my back, the "windcap" stops me from dumping ash in my face. Worth 2 bucks all day.

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
Windd caps are useless if it's blowing more than around 15 mph. Just clap a flat book of matches (or any handy wood, paper, cardboard) over the rim and keep it pressed down.

Fingers and palms work fine for short periods or when the bowl is halfway or more done.

Reactions: Casual and BROBS

warren

Lifer
Sep 13, 2013
Foothills of the Chugach Range, AK
I smoke outside all of the time. Having to use both hands on the camera means I cant shield the bowl with my hand. A cap is a necessity when the wind is up to keep the "ember" under control. When possible, I use an infrequently free hand to protect the capped bowl but, often that is not possible. So, I favor the caps as I couldn't keep the nicotine in my system at the optimal level without them, the tobacco would be burnt away in a matter of a couple of short minutes.

Reactions: Casual and jpmcwjr

Casual

Lifer
Oct 3, 2019
NL, CA
OK, didja hear what you wanted to hear?
Absolutely not! I wanted to hear magic lost wisdom that would make it easy for me to judge when and how to use the wind cap.

You know, use the pipe sock as a windsock and if it billows between one and three inches from straight down then you can use a wind cap profitably. That sort of thing. Maybe a rhyme: “While you’re out bustling, if the trees are rustling, be a smart chap, and use a wind cap.”

Instead the magic wisdom is that they mostly suck except maybe sometimes.