PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

charf

Part of the Furniture Now
Jul 10, 2018
New Zealand
Here in NZ a few months ago they enacted a new law to say it is illegal to smoke in a car that has minors in it. Personally that makes sense to me. However then the progressives jumped on that and said we should ban smoking at home. But while that’s going on the country also wants to make buying and smoking marijuana legal. The whole thing is laughable.

if you live in an apartment building then maybe smoking at home is no longer kosher but in most of NZ we live in our own homes on our own land. Seems a bit heavy handed.

Reactions: BROBS and jpmcwjr

davek

Part of the Furniture Now
Mar 20, 2014
I live in an apartment complex. Smoking is prohibited. Not by city bylaw, mind you, but by the building's own rules. As much as I hate it that I cannot smoke a pipe or cigar in my apartment, not even in the balcony, I actually support the rule: if smoking were allowed the place would reek, and with pot being now legal it'd be a skunky building. What this bloke says about 'second hand' smoke permeating into other suites is true: I've experienced it myself: I've had to seal crannies in my place to keep the stink from cigarette smoking and funky cooking out. 12 years ago I had to move from my initial suite because the recently arrived neighbour next door started breaking the rules and smoking in there.

That being said, this guy is obviously a dangerous statist. He's extreme in calling upon the state to force and enforce what should be left to the buildings' owners themselves. It's a double play: the state gets to pwn both the tenants AND the landlords and run both their lives at the same time. A vengeful tenant could get his landlord sued by anonymously reporting a smoking bylaw violation. It's bad.
Here in Ohio I don't know of any apartment complexes that allow smoking.

A situation just occurred at a friend's complex where the smokers (rightfully) banded together to pressure the owner into some sort of roof over their smoking area and a picnic table or two.

pappymac

Lifer
Feb 26, 2015
Like others, I don't have a problem with the OWNERS of an apartment building banning smoking (and enforcing the ban).

What I have a problem with is a government mandate that bans tobacco smoking. 1. If they are going to ban tobacco smoking, then ban marijuana smoking also. 2. The 18th Amendment and the Volstead Act were proven to have been more damaging to this country and were both repealed in 1933. I find it interesting that one of the main arguments for the 18th Amendment was that it was necessary for health reasons - the same claim the anti-smoking lobby is now using. All Prohibition did was give rise to organize crime and cause more deaths by illegal alcohol.

Reactions: hoosierpipeguy

dmcmtk

Lifer
Aug 23, 2013
Legislator Sam Gonzalez, the sponsor of the bill, told a local CBS affiliate that he did not think the bill was excessive.

“It’s not going too far. We’re heading in that direction anyway. We can’t smoke in restaurants. We can’t smoke in buildings,” he said. “We can’t smoke inside the theaters. There are parks, there are beaches that you can’t smoke in. We are headed there.”

I didn't realize you could smoke in a beach...

• Haha
Reactions: BROBS

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014

anotherbob

Lifer
Mar 30, 2019
In the semi-rural NorthEastern USA
I always wonder with laws like this how they're enforced. Someone would have to complain. If everyone living in a house smoked I don't see any of them complaining. I guess it seems the aim is if you're bothering someone with your smoke it gives them leeway to do something about it. Like how most apartments I've been in have a rule in the lease about not being able to watch t.v. or listen to music after a certain hour. The idea is if my neighbor is blasting music or something they can't say it wasn't loud, because they just not supposed to. So outside of apartment buildings or shared living spaces it seems almost impossible to get in trouble with this law.

anotherbob

Lifer
Mar 30, 2019
Legislator Sam Gonzalez, the sponsor of the bill, told a local CBS affiliate that he did not think the bill was excessive.

“It’s not going too far. We’re heading in that direction anyway. We can’t smoke in restaurants. We can’t smoke in buildings,” he said. “We can’t smoke inside the theaters. There are parks, there are beaches that you can’t smoke in. We are headed there.”

I didn't realize you could smoke in a beach...
if you got a shovel and advanced sand castle making skills you certain can.

• Haha
Reactions: BROBS and dmcmtk

anotherbob

Lifer
Mar 30, 2019
quote from the article to answer one big question people have. "Legislator Sam Gonzalez is sponsoring the bill banning all smoking in apartments, condos, and multi-family homes." So you can give your own children a head start on COPD.

olkofri

Lifer
Sep 9, 2017
The Arm of Orion
I always wonder with laws like this how they're enforced. Someone would have to complain. If everyone living in a house smoked I don't see any of them complaining.
Plenty of snitches to go around. Now, with the plandemic, snitching has become the national sport. Children will tell on their parents, don't doubt that for a second. As for a house full of smokers, well, the neighbours will pitch in to 'save lives' and call the cops on them for smoking and not wearing a mask.

Reactions: dmcmtk

olkofri

Lifer
Sep 9, 2017
The Arm of Orion
Here in Ohio I don't know of any apartment complexes that allow smoking.

A situation just occurred at a friend's complex where the smokers (rightfully) banded together to pressure the owner into some sort of roof over their smoking area and a picnic table or two.
We have smokers in the building. We just have to go outside, more than 10 metres from the doors. There's even a bucket with sand by the parkade's wall for smokers to ditch their (cigs) butts.

No way there's gonna be any pressure here to build them anything to make their experience more comfy. Then everyone and his brother is gonna demand the building cater to their particular hobbies. Just not happening.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Something in the write-up made it sound like the line was drawn at multiple attached dwellings -- town houses, condos, apartments -- but maybe not unattached. It seems like that would be a case hard to make in the Supreme Court. This makes me think I did my wife a great favor rescuing her and her cat from Suffolk County, though our city in N.C. lacks some of the cosmopolitan flair of the NY City area. It is further difficult to see how this could be upheld if other equally noxious air pollutants exist in separate or shared housing. Plenty of people are afflicted and die of exposure to various kinds of air pollution that have nothing to do with smoking. Are those pollutants also now all in question? No? Why not? Incidentally, Suffolk County is part of Long Island with cross ventilation from the Atlantic Ocean and the Long Island Sound, which tends to dilute any kind of pollution from smoking or otherwise.

Reactions: anotherbob

condorlover1

Lifer
Dec 22, 2013
New York
A very thought provoking article. When I lived in NYC I had a massive roof deck that was my garden, dinning area and smoking lounge. In fact Woods Road used to drop by and stay quite often years ago. When you ban something and then say you cannot do it even within your own four walls after paying your taxes and owning said four walls you are on a very dangerous path. Politico's don't seem to realize that if you piss off Joe Q Lunch box enough he will more than likely turn on said politico. Sadly the word compromise doesn't seem to exist anymore.

olkofri

Lifer
Sep 9, 2017
The Arm of Orion
Politico's don't seem to realize that if you piss off Joe Q Lunch box enough he will more than likely turn on said politico.
Well, as we transition from democracy into neo-caesarism Politico doesn't really care if Joe Q likes his policies: they'll be enforced anyway, because Politico is appointed, propped up, and bankrolled by an oligarchic elite. Votes can be bought, or even made up. Why worry about which party the silent majority votes for when you can cheat? Why worry about the myriad Joe Q's when you can sic 'peaceful demonstrators' on them?

Reactions: dmcmtk and brian64
Status
Not open for further replies.