New Cigars

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Cyxelsid

Starting to Get Obsessed
Just curious what folks think about these blends offered by Country Squire? Are they actually good blends, or just playing on LOTR hype?

I admit, as an avid LOTR fan (although I haven't been able to get through The Silmarllion), I WANT to buy them, and I probably will. I am just curious if it is a good line, or just a novelty?

verporchting

Lifer
Dec 30, 2018
I ordered a sampler pack of all (except the new Mirkwood - it wasn’t out yet).

I quite liked Green Dragon and Kingsfoil, and Bag End was a nice mild English. Second Breakfast was okay but nothing special. I did not like Rivendale much (too sweet) and really disliked Old Toby because it was way way way too cloying and sweet for my tastes.

I generally like Country Squire non-aromatic blends more than their aromatic offerings but that’s not surprising since I’m more of a non-aromatic guy (yes, I do like many aros but non-aromatic blends are just my go to).

Cyxelsid

Starting to Get Obsessed
I ordered a sampler pack of all (except the new Mirkwood - it wasn’t out yet).

I quite liked Green Dragon and Kingsfoil, and Bag End was a nice mild English. Second Breakfast was okay but nothing special. I did not like Rivendale much (too sweet) and really disliked Old Toby because it was way way way too cloying and sweet for my tastes.

I generally like Country Squire non-aromatic blends more than their aromatic offerings but that’s not surprising since I’m more of a non-aromatic guy (yes, I do like many aros but non-aromatic blends are just my go to).
Thanks for the input!

Hillcrest

Lifer
Dec 3, 2021
Bagshot Row, Hobbiton
Just curious what folks think about these blends offered by Country Squire? Are they actually good blends, or just playing on LOTR hype?

I admit, as an avid LOTR fan (although I haven't been able to get through The Silmarllion), I WANT to buy them, and I probably will. I am just curious if it is a good line, or just a novelty?
I like Old Toby as a regular. My last batch of Rivendell had too much burley for me (allergic); Second Breakfast is a bit too floral, Green Dragon is similar to Newminster 400/Capstan Blue.
I liked them all but their non-LOTR blends are excellent too. Cherokee is a mild semi-sweet virginia cavendish blend they have been making for over 50 yrs. PS Blend is a Mild Latakia blend. Parson's Blend is a mild blend as well. They are not gimmicky and have a loyal following. They are threads on this forums discussing almost all of their offerings if you use the search tool above.

SBC

Lifer
Oct 6, 2021
NE Wisconsin
Don't try them because you think they make some connection to Middle Earth. They're not at all what Tolkien had in mind when he wrote about pipe weed. But if you like aromatics and want to try these, go for it.

The evidence points to Tolkien smoking more Capstan Blue than anything else, which is a straight Red VA. So, it seems reasonable to assume that when Tolkien wrote of pipe weed, he had Red VA in mind.

As for the CS's aromatics (ignoring the gimmicky marketing), they're of the conventional American sort. I didn't fall in love with any of them, but some guys who're partial to this sort of smoke like them a lot.

(I have not tried Green Dragon, which is certainly closest to Tolkien's sort of tobacco, and may be very good for all that I know.)

The best CS tobacco I've had is Shepherd's Pie. I've mostly moved away from English and smoke mostly VA anymore; but, for the times that I do feel like an English again, Shepherd's Pie is up there with some of the best.

Pipingntrucking

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jun 9, 2022
Zebulon-JoCo NC
Old Toby was pretty good to me. Also liked Second Breakfast. Old Toby was actually a surprise because I love aromatics..unlike most of the crotchety standard "goopy this or that" responses you see a lot- usually by folks that are on the perique or latakia bandwagon. but I digress.

Old Toby was a little bit out of my normal sweet tooth range but found it quite enjoyable. The experimental 1 oz that I got didn't last the week. Second Breakfast is good. Nice and mild could be an all day smoke. Just don't expect a strong maple to be pulled out of it unless you are smoking very slow and have a sensitive palate.

My 2 most ordered from there is White Rose and Summer Breeze.

As a matter of fact- heading over there now to re supply!

Elric

Lifer
Sep 19, 2019
Liplapper Lane (Michigan)
tobaccocellar.com
Like many, I ordered a sample pack and enjoyed them all universally. I ended up gravitating toward Green Dragon and Kingsfoil and cellared a fair bit of each. I may revisit the others again in the future.

Outside of the Middle Earth blends, Cornishman is a fine English that I would cellar if I wasn't already so deep on blends in that genre.

Cyxelsid

Starting to Get Obsessed
They are threads on this forums discussing almost all of their offerings if you use the search tool above.
Yeah, I am almost hesitant to start new threads, for fear that they have already been created. I haven't quite figured out how to efficiently use the thread search tool, but I will work on that!

Thanks for the input!

Cyxelsid

Starting to Get Obsessed
Don't try them because you think they make some connection to Middle Earth. They're not at all what Tolkien had in mind when he wrote about pipe weed. But if you like aromatics and want to try these, go for it.

The evidence points to Tolkien smoking more Capstan Blue than anything else, which is a straight Red VA. So, it seems reasonable to assume that when Tolkien wrote of pipe weed, he had Red VA in mind.

As for the CS's aromatics (ignoring the gimmicky marketing), they're of the conventional American sort. I didn't fall in love with any of them, but some guys who're partial to this sort of smoke like them a lot.

(I have not tried Green Dragon, which is certainly closest to Tolkien's sort of tobacco, and may be very good for all that I know.)

The best CS tobacco I've had is Shepherd's Pie. I've mostly moved away from English and smoke mostly VA anymore; but, for the times that I do feel like an English again, Shepherd's Pie is up there with some of the best.
Given your signature, I will assume that you have a better knowledge of Tolkien than I! I am very new to smoking and really have not discovered my palette just yet, so I am randomly trying new things. But just having the LOTR blends would be fun to break out when folks come around!

I also saw the Shepherd's Pie on their website, and it will go into the sample mix!

Thanks for the input!

Cyxelsid

Starting to Get Obsessed
Old Toby was pretty good to me. Also liked Second Breakfast. Old Toby was actually a surprise because I love aromatics..unlike most of the crotchety standard "goopy this or that" responses you see a lot- usually by folks that are on the perique or latakia bandwagon. but I digress.

Old Toby was a little bit out of my normal sweet tooth range but found it quite enjoyable. The experimental 1 oz that I got didn't last the week. Second Breakfast is good. Nice and mild could be an all day smoke. Just don't expect a strong maple to be pulled out of it unless you are smoking very slow and have a sensitive palate.

My 2 most ordered from there is White Rose and Summer Breeze.

As a matter of fact- heading over there now to re supply!
Thanks for the input!

minerLuke

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 2, 2023
Vancouver BC
I have tried quite a few of Country Squires house blends and some of them have made it into my regular rotation, Bag End, Old Toby, Cherokee, Ruins of Windsor and their Sweet Burley I buy in bulk regularly.

Great company with great service and they even deal kindly with us forlorn and forgotten Canadian pipe smokers!

Apr 26, 2012
Washington State
I was gifted a small sample of a couple blends several years back, so I don't recall which ones they were, but I did enjoy them. I think it was Kingsfoil and Old Toby, but can't say for sure. The person I got the samples from really liked their blends, and during my time on YouTube I found that a lot of other people really enjoyed their blends. Never heard anything bad about them either. If that helps you at all. ;)

F

fMf Piper

I too am a LOTR fan, and was interested in these blends. Thanks for asking about these tobaccos, and thanks to all of the community members that responsed with your reviews/impressions.

Reactions: Cyxelsid