PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

jeepnewbie

Part of the Furniture Now
Jul 12, 2013
Byron
www.facebook.com
I was talking with my grandfather the other night, about his dad smoking pipes. Sadly I never got to meet him, and he was the only other piper that I know of, besides a distant relative I never met. I have been wondering what pipes and tobaccos my great granddaddy smoked. My grandfather said he smoked country gentleman that came in a cloth bag, in a bent pipe. He couldn't recall the brand of pipes.
So how much like the old country gentleman is the MM country gentleman? I'd like to try the old blend that was enjoyed by my great granddaddy. Is there another blend like country gentleman? Thanks for any help.

aldecaker

Lifer
Feb 13, 2015
Hey Coyote, I think they're talking about Country Gentleman the tobacco blend, not Country Gentleman the pipe shape.

curl

Apr 29, 2014
i suspect the only good part of the old bag of country gentleman tobacco will be the bag.

blendtobac

Lifer
Oct 16, 2009
Country Gentleman (the MM pipe tobacco) was, pretty obviously, named after the pipe. When I put the blend together, I wasn't even aware that there was an old blend by that name. There was no attempt to copy that old tobacco.
Russ

pitchfork

Lifer
May 25, 2012
Would love to see some pics of the tobacco. Curious what kind of leaf it was. Probably some combo of VAs and burley.
Anyhow, here's an interesting bit about those cloth bags:
stringingheader.jpg

http://dc.lib.unc.edu/cdm/abouttobacco/collection/tobacco_bag

curl

Apr 29, 2014
I really like Russ's Country Gentleman blend.

But I die a little every day when I log in and see it's still not available.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
If it's any solace, Russ did a fine old-style American blend called Log Cabin, a Va/Bur/Cav non-aromatic, that loves a cob and most other pipes.

jeepnewbie

Jul 12, 2013
Byron
www.facebook.com
So many blends so little time.
Thanks Russ for the update. There are so many older blends out there that are probably still forgotten about. I figured the CG was named after the MM pipes, until my grandfather told me what his dad smoked. I then thought it may of been like some of the other blends you have done to bring back old blends.
Curl as long as it is still sealed it sold be smokable, if it is to dry I'll work on rehydration. So long as it hasn't turned to dust, if so I guess I'll have a bag of "pipe snuff".
Coyote, I'll have to check out those cobs.

texmexpipe

Oct 20, 2014
Could it have been Country Doctor? There is a Blend at Park Lane that is a match. http://cigarsandpipes.com/tobacco/bulk-tobacco/park-lane-doctor-s-mix.html

jeepnewbie

Jul 12, 2013
Byron
www.facebook.com
Well the package arrive today. I took a few photos of it as I opened it. Sadly it is a bit dried out due to the tobacco is just in a cloth bag. I dumped it all and started rehydration of it, and smoked a bowl of some that was slightly hydrated. My taste are not as refined as others, however it didn't taste bad but wasn't a wow factor either. It is great getting to try a smoke that my great grandad would have enjoyed. I did load it up in a bent Sav, and since it is mostly small pieces like a cigarette would be I put a bit of tobacco in the bottom to prevent small pieces from getting drawn out when I puff. The package came with everything sealed and even had the cigarette papers still tucked inside of the outer package.

jeepnewbie

Jul 12, 2013
Byron
www.facebook.com
If anyone else does decide to ever try this I recommend the packages that are clean on the outside. There is no plastic to protect the tobacco on the inside if anything is spilled on them.

Status
Not open for further replies.