PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

JLD66

Might Stick Around
May 8, 2020
West Kentucky
EDIT: Fixed Capitalization in Title (See Rule 9)

Does anyone know if their oom Paul’s will pass a pipe cleaner?

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: kokomanga
Jan 28, 2018
Sarasota, FL
I generally ask the seller if the pipe effortlessly passes a pipe cleaner before purchasing. Don't make assumptions. I've seen straight pipes that didn't effortlessly passes a pipe cleaner due to poor drills. If I happen to bed looking at the pipe in person, I test it myself.

JLD66

Might Stick Around
May 8, 2020
West Kentucky
I ask Luca about a Costello oom Paul I was interested in if it would pass a cleaner and he sent me a picture with the pipe cleaner through it. Unfortunately the drilling was terrible because the hole in the bowl was way to the side instead of center.

Reactions: oldgeezersmoker

sasquatch

Lifer
Jul 16, 2012
They kinda sorta do, usually. I have one that does with a wiggle, but I've seen another that absolutely wouldn't.

Reactions: JLD66
May 8, 2017
Sugar Grove, IL, USA
Just bought an Occhio di Pernice 93 from Luca. His service is top-notch and my pipe arrived beautifully packaged in an old-school fashion via DHL in less time than USPS delivers packages from Longs, SC. Unfortunately, the finish on my pipe is disappointing. It's a contrast finish to accentuate the birdseye grain, but it's a weird purplish-grayish-brown on one side (not enough of the contrast stain not sanded off?) and with an obvious fill in an incompatible color. This is a Collection grade? That said, it smoked beautifully from the start, sans bowl coating, and it hangs effortlessly.

Oct 7, 2016
I ask Luca about a Costello oom Paul I was interested in if it would pass a cleaner and he sent me a picture with the pipe cleaner through it. Unfortunately the drilling was terrible because the hole in the bowl was way to the side instead of center.
Yep. I always ask where the draft hole comes out in relation to the bottom center of the bowl. High and/or off center can be issues on bents and longer shanked straight pipes.

burleyboy

Part of the Furniture Now
Jul 30, 2019
Europe
Just bought an Occhio di Pernice 93 from Luca. His service is top-notch and my pipe arrived beautifully packaged in an old-school fashion via DHL in less time than USPS delivers packages from Longs, SC. Unfortunately, the finish on my pipe is disappointing. It's a contrast finish to accentuate the birdseye grain, but it's a weird purplish-grayish-brown on one side (not enough of the contrast stain not sanded off?) and with an obvious fill in an incompatible color. This is a Collection grade? That said, it smoked beautifully from the start, sans bowl coating, and it hangs effortlessly.

I agree. Corti provides a top notch service. But I‘m sorry to hear about this finish of your Castello. Would you mind showing it to us?

Reactions: hoosierpipeguy

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I think it is nice that some pipe smokers can get a piece of wire and fluff to do a U-turn, but so what? I have bent pipes that will pass a pipe cleaner, a third to a half, and the others won't, and I clean them as far as the pipe cleaner will go, and clean the bowl airway when I take off the stem. No problem. The pipe cleaner passage fixation strikes me as similar to the dottle question. White ash and wire making U-turns are wonderful. I don't find that they matter much.

BROBS

Lifer
Nov 13, 2019
IA
I think it is nice that some pipe smokers can get a piece of wire and fluff to do a U-turn, but so what? I have bent pipes that will pass a pipe cleaner, a third to a half, and the others won't, and I clean them as far as the pipe cleaner will go, and clean the bowl airway when I take off the stem. No problem. The pipe cleaner passage fixation strikes me as similar to the dottle question. White ash and wire making U-turns are wonderful. I don't find that they matter much.
They don’t. It’s some kind of mental reassurance to some people that the pipe will smoke well. Which it certainly does not.

Reactions: doro and rushx9

burleyboy

Part of the Furniture Now
Jul 30, 2019
Europe
For me, the pipe cleaner question is more than a mental thing. Sometimes a piece of tobacco gets stuck in the mouthpiece or a pipe smokes a little wet. Then I like to solve things mid smoke by driving a cleaner through the pipe without having to disassemble it.

kokomanga

Lurker
Jun 8, 2020
For me, the pipe cleaner question is more than a mental thing. Sometimes a piece of tobacco gets stuck in the mouthpiece or a pipe smokes a little wet. Then I like to solve things mid smoke by driving a cleaner through the pipe without having to disassemble it.

This is why I also ask the pipe cleaner thing. Well im still new, but I did try that mid smoke to resolve the gurgling / wetness and it worked.

Now I learned that I just need to dry my tobacco to fix the wetness.

Oct 7, 2016
Yeah, this. Particularly true if you smoke some mixtures (as opposed to flakes) on the dry side. I got a box of SG Commonwealth a few yea s back amidst an SG shortage that was almost crispy critters dry. Smoked it any way, loved it, but I probably had to use 10x my normal pipe cleaner usage to clear the pieces plugging the airway.

Reactions: burleyboy and BROBS

JLD66

Might Stick Around
May 8, 2020
West Kentucky
I would guess that would depend what a person’s standards of a well drilled pipe are. For myself it’s very simple, if they can’t or won’t line up the holes correctly then I don’t want it. Just ask some of the pipe makers who do it right they can explain it to you better.

Status
Not open for further replies.