Status
Not open for further replies.

Jacob74

Lifer
Dec 22, 2019
Killeen, TX
I decided to take a chance on Costco's house brand Cognac:

At $45.99 for XO how bad could it be?

Pretty dang decent actually. It's a blend of 12-21 year old Cognacs and produced by Peyrat. As near as I can tell the primary difference between this and the regular label Peyrat is that the regular label starts at 15 years old and is without an upper age:

Probably better stuff but it's also more than twice the price.

To me, Cognac tends to have either a more fruit forward profile or a more toffee-like (not sweetie sugar) forward profile and the Costco stuff is the latter. It has a great sweetness without being cloying and there's a touch of spice or oak which I think might be the influence of the barrel. It's also very smooth. I've had more complex Cognacs but I also had to pay more.

Overall, just a nice Cognac for a great price.
You are absolutely right. I just finished a bottle of the Kirkland Cognac. I found it to be sweet, could definitely taste some grape. I like it far better than similarly priced Hennessy.

troutface

Lifer
Oct 26, 2012
Colorado
The gf, who loves Cognac, was about to put that Kirkland Cognac in the cart when I looked askance. Boy do I look like an idiot now. I told her as much. Next trip.
Update: The gf finally bought the Kirkland Cognac and we tried it after dinner the other night. Also present were her son and sister, neither are regular Cognac drinkers. They all pronounced it smooth. I thought it was a bit bitey and rough around the edges, especially considering it was only 80 proof. I do agree with Shane that it had tons of toffee flavor. An interesting drink, but I prefer the fruitier styles like Ferrand Ambre.

Status
Not open for further replies.