PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

jvnshr

Staff member
Sep 4, 2015
Baku, Azerbaijan
Please, use it. I get in such a whirlwind to get to the post office that I forgot to include two things, a small jeweler’s cloth to keep it polished and the letter that explains what this is made of.
The blade is made of sterling silver, the body is my own formula of bronze that will keep a polish for a very long time, but eventually will tarnish. It can be polished back up easily, but if you allow it, it will patina to a very cool blueish-green, similar to Roman sculptures. The foot of the tamp is pure copper.
The stone is an anthill garnet that I picked up in Tucson a few years ago. The ants bring these tiny garnets to the surface, adding them to their mounds, and the Natives of Apache County, Arizona will gather them up and have them facetted. They are a very blood red color, and I have been fascinated with them for a very long time. Ants make the best miners.
You can easily wipe the soot off after tamping. Sometimes mine will get a little build up on the inside of the foot, but maybe just think of that as cake, ha ha.
This was supposed to be your Christmas present, but getting a package from here to there takes quite a while, so… Merry belated Christmas!!! And, thank you so much Javan for helping me regain back control of my Instagram, from the Russian prostitutes. :puffy:
Wow, I don't know what to say Michael, thanks for the effort. I didn't even know that I have helped you regaining back control of your Instagram :)
I am glad Jeevan could give you aid with those Russian prostitutes
Hmmm, I feel like Denzel Washington's character from the movie "The Equalizer" right now.
I usually keep my tampers in my pants pocket. I think I would puncture my scrotum with that thing.
Michael is right, it is not that sharp actually. Depends on the scrotum I guess :)

Ha ha, well, I sent you like twenty or so emails asking about this or that with Instagram, and you offered so much extra advice that really helped this old dog learn that new trick. Plus, I thought that they were Pakistani prostitutes, and you immediately knew that they were Russian. You really know your prostitutes, ha ha. Or, nationalities, anyway.
Enjoy it. Maybe it will help start a few new conversations and make a few new friends as well.

madox07

Lifer
Dec 12, 2016
Cosmic very nice craftsmanship. Wait, what? Russian prostitutes kidnapped your Instagram !!?? :lol:

scrooge

Lifer
Apr 24, 2015
0XuOm72.jpg

Thanks again guys!

Balkisobrains, I have tried to sand cast the shank on these, but it is just a hair too thick to cast without pourosity, which is airbubbles that form inside the metal. I just use a piece of cast iron to get the general form in the initial pour, and then use a hammer to fine tune the taper and the foot. Then I carve in the details. The texture comes from going over the piece with a French hammer to give it a good grip and finger appeal. It’s fun, and I am enjoying being able to make something that appeals to men. I still like working with women on jewelery, but I’ve been doing it for so long that making something more masculine is a fresh change.

jvnshr

Staff member
Sep 4, 2015
Baku, Azerbaijan
I have tried to sand cast the shank on these, but it is just a hair too thick to cast without pourosity, which is airbubbles that form inside the metal. I just use a piece of cast iron to get the general form in the initial pour, and then use a hammer to fine tune the taper and the foot. Then I carve in the details. The texture comes from going over the piece with a French hammer to give it a good grip and finger appeal.
Wow. Too much work Michael. I didn't know that French had their own hammers :)

Status
Not open for further replies.