Cornish Pasties In Virginia?....Surely Not!

SmokingPipes.com Updates

Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

jttnk

Lifer
Dec 22, 2017
Phoenix, AZ
Cornish Pasty Company in Phoenix is great! When we return to the real world. If only you could smoke a pipe there.

Reactions: BROBS

danimalia

Lifer
Sep 2, 2015
San Francisco Bay Area, USA
I've only had a Cornish Pasty one time. It was from a little shop at a train station in London and it was breakfast before I made a hungover trip to Canterbury. So I fully acknowledge this probably wasn't a top-shelf pasty. But still, flaky dough surrounding a greasy meat filling? Not bad! It hit the spot that morning. The shop in VA has all kinds if interesting varieties. Chicken Masala, Moroccan Lamb, BBQ Chicken. Sounds delicious.

I think they are quite similar to empanadas and samosas which I also like a lot. And all things I can't have on my current diet. :cry:

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
The only pastie I remember fondly because it was eaten outdoors and was really good, was at Whitefish Bay, Michigan, at the monument to the Edmund Fitzgerald, at approximately the latitude, if not quite the longitude, of its sinking. I think pasties came to Michigan with actual Cornish immigrants. It made a great picnic. My late wife, like my wife now, loved to plan trips so there were treats and surprises all along the ways.

mawnansmiff

Lifer
Oct 14, 2015
Sunny Cornwall, UK.
"But still, flaky dough surrounding a greasy meat filling? Not bad!"

Dan, with all due respect, that wasn't a Cornish pasty, the proper Cornish pasty would never involve flaky pastry. They are a regionally protected foodstuff for very good reason.

As for moose meat....yikes!!!! Should be beef skirt though I should imaging moose meat would be quite appetizing.

Regards,

Jay.

Status
Not open for further replies.