PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

kylef

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 17, 2018
Cape Ann, MA USA
Okay, I'm not the most experienced pipe guy here, but I'm noticing something that I haven't seen mentioned.
I've tried three tins from C & D: Haunted Bookshop, John Marr, and now Redburn. With each of these, I'm noticing this fairly unique smell that I haven't noticed in any other brand of tobacco. I don't know how to describe it--it's not really unpleasant, but I don't care for it. I'm trying to find a common denominator in these three other than the company--but John Marr is Virginias and perique, and the other two are burley-based, so I'm not really seeing a connection.
I had bought an ounce of Haunted Bookshop in bulk form when I first started with a pipe about three years ago, and I didn't notice that smell with that.
I don't notice it much when I actually smoke it--it's just the smell in the tin (or jar.)
Would it be some topping or additive, or something different they're doing with their tobacco that other companies don't?
Or am I just crazy, and this is something nobody else notices?
I'm perplexed!

mortonbriar

Lifer
Oct 25, 2013
New Zealand
I find that a generic 'house' smell is fairly common for many blenders. Mcclelland being the obvious example with its ketchup. But also Macbaren (amphora, 3 nuns) has something I pick up on too, and Gawith...

Not to say I would pass a blind taste test every time, but when I have smoked from a 'scraps' jar in the past I found that I could identify certain leaf as it was smoking sometimes, and it was more to do with an association of brand then specific blend.
Isaac

kylef

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 17, 2018
Cape Ann, MA USA
Thanks--that would probably explain it. Maybe my nose just isn't attuned enough to have noticed it in other brands, but I do seem to pick up on it with the tinned versions of C & D that I've tried.

olkofri

Lifer
Sep 9, 2017
The Arm of Orion
I've too detected a funny smell with a number of blends: they smell OK (by which I mean their inherent tin scent), but after handling them my fingers have a fishy smell. Not terrible, but not pleasant either. Offending blends are C&D's Sam's Blend, MC's Frog Morton, Lane's BCA. No problem with Blockade Runner or Black Frigate, though.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
C&D is one of my standard sources of blends and I've never noticed this. I often sniff the jar before I pack a pipe, just to remind myself of the blend, so either I don't detect it or don't have the right blends. Standard blends for me are Old Joe Krantz, Billy Budd, Riverboat Gambler, Tuggle Hall, etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.