PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

troyniss

Can't Leave
Jul 8, 2018
Michigan
TobaccoPipes has it in stock. Somehow they get it earlier than SP. Same thing happened with the last Small Batch.
Got 3 tins and some Solani Mango Flake, Capstan Navy Flake, SG 1792 and SPC Mississippi River.

canadianpuffer

Can't Leave
Oct 8, 2017
Tobaccopipes wouldn’t have gotten it early, they just released it before SP. I’m sure SP will release it around 11am or so. Either way I’m sure this will well out fast

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Does small batch mean it's probably a one-time batch, or does that mean it's being auditioned for regular production? Or can either happen? Does some small batch make the permanent menu? Just asking.

canadianpuffer

Can't Leave
Oct 8, 2017
Only small batch that became regular production was straight up English/father the flame. The rest have been one offs

tennsmoker

Lifer
Jul 2, 2010
Ordered 5 tins and will open one and cellar the rest. I've missed most of C&D's small batches. Didn't this time.

craig61a

Lifer
Apr 29, 2017
Minnesota USA
Cornell & Diehl Small Batch offerings are generally one off. The Carolina Red Flake and the Sansepolcro have been re-released over the last several years. From what I’ve read on C&D’s website, when they are able to purchase an exceptional crop of Red Virginia they whip up a special batch of something. Usually it’s in the range of 4000 - 9000 units.

jravenwood

Can't Leave
Apr 23, 2017
The honey in this seems like it would be a breeding ground for their mold problem. Ive read that honey is naturally anti microbial or what have you, but mix it with other ingredients and sugars nulls that effect.

philobeddoe

Lifer
Oct 31, 2011
East Indiana
I picked a couple tins up at my local B&M today. As Hoosierpipeguy said, it is still a bit rough around the edges, similar to their small batch Red Flake, likely the same Virginia. The blend is nice though, a little sweet, a little spicy and I can see that it will be quite tasty in six months or a year.

oldtoby

Part of the Furniture Now
Dec 7, 2011
Anyone notice the black specks in the flakes?
Perique maybe?

Jan 28, 2018
Sarasota, FL
oldtoby, mouse turds maybe? LOL It does have a bit of spice, perhaps some perique, dark fired or cavendish. I'm guessing perique.
I smoked a second bowl tonight, rubbed this one out. That helped soften things a bit and the flavors came forward more. Still a bit harsh but if you like VaOr blends, I believe you'll really like this one after it ages a bit.

oldtoby

Dec 7, 2011
Funny you mentioned rat turds, hoosier. Over the years I've found pebbles, hair, feathers and even tobacco beetles in earlier C&D tins, so nothing would surprise me really. The tin I popped today actually had a two inch piece of partially unraveled twine. Looked just like a lock of blonde hair. No shit....
I'm almost to the bottom of my first bowl of Sun Bear and can't decide if the little black pieces are Perique or actually bits of flavoured Cavendish. I definitely taste the honey and a little alcohol. So far, it's a pretty decent smoke and I like it.
Father Time should help this blend. My tin is all of two weeks old. LOL. :wink:

Jan 28, 2018
Sarasota, FL
Oldtoby, you've got me thinking I need to start sifting through the tobacco instead of blindly stuffing it into my pipes. Who knows what all I've smoked?

oldtoby

Dec 7, 2011
I hear ya, hoosier.
I've often wondered about that very same thing. :roll:

Status
Not open for further replies.