PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner

Sanzini

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jul 14, 2021
Bristow, VA
Ordered from tobaccopipes.com two days ago - now on my shelf and in my bowl. (It helps that I’m only a few hours from Richmond.)
Can confirm: this limited blend from C&D is terrific. Though my palate and lingo may be undeveloped, I will say that, to me, this is the smoking equivalent of comfort food.
Light but (ful)filling, with a lingering flavor of warm honey. Enjoyed on the patio with a glass of sun tea, this made for a nice afternoon treat. I may have to order more before it’s gone. Cheers!

Attachments

• Sun Bear.png
    Sun Bear.png
    764.2 KB · Views: 13

mikebjrtx

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 14, 2012
Hurst TX
Mine is very good also but should really improve with age. The sweet and tangy citrusy flavors seemed to compete instead of complimenting each other. I was smoking it in a Missouri Pride so a wider bowl would probably blend the flavors better

Jul 17, 2017
NV
pencilandpipe.home.blog
I smoked one bowl the day my tin came in and it started out decent. Very mild. I could taste the honey and faintly sense the tequila and a very very mild hint of Virginia. After a relight, I got nothing from the tobacco. It very much reminded me of an aromatic cavendish without the sweetness. Just honey flavor. I have decided to put it in a jar and let it breathe for a while, because I'm convinced this can't be what it's supposed to be.

pantsBoots

Lifer
Jul 21, 2020
Terra Firma
I smoked one bowl the day my tin came in and it started out decent. Very mild. I could taste the honey and faintly sense the tequila and a very very mild hint of Virginia. After a relight, I got nothing from the tobacco. It very much reminded me of an aromatic cavendish without the sweetness. Just honey flavor. I have decided to put it in a jar and let it breathe for a while, because I'm convinced this can't be what it's supposed to be.
My experience exactly with the 2019 release. I passed.

Jul 17, 2017
NV
pencilandpipe.home.blog
In my own experience, most blends and especially C&D blends, need to breathe for at least a week or two before smoking. Fresh out of the tin they normally taste a bit flat. After a couple of weeks open, like a completely different blend.
I'm grateful that I learned this early. My first bowl of G.L. Pease Quiet Nights was boring and bland. About 3 days later, I was blown away with bold flavors and complexity.

saltedplug

Lifer
Aug 20, 2013
Ordered from tobaccopipes.com two days ago - now on my shelf and in my bowl. (It helps that I’m only a few hours from Richmond.)
Can confirm: this limited blend from C&D is terrific. Though my palate and lingo may be undeveloped, I will say that, to me, this is the smoking equivalent of comfort food.
Light but (ful)filling, with a lingering flavor of warm honey. Enjoyed on the patio with a glass of sun tea, this made for a nice afternoon treat. I may have to order more before it’s gone. Cheers!
I'm sorry, but you just don't get it. To say that you may have to order smacks of judicious good sense, while the posture for any reasonable tobacco addict is to exhaust their stores, down to the very last tin. In this you may end up with a multi-hundred tin supply. That can only be a good thing. From my perspective the proper goal for any up and coming tobacco chowhound.

Sanzini

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jul 14, 2021
Bristow, VA
I'm sorry, but you just don't get it. To say that you may have to order smacks of judicious good sense, while the posture for any reasonable tobacco addict is to exhaust their stores, down to the very last tin. In this you may end up with a multi-hundred tin supply. That can only be a good thing. From my perspective the proper goal for any up and coming tobacco chowhound.
“Smacks of judicious good sense.”

I must be slipping. I’ll do better.

pcfdave

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 10, 2021
My first foray into the small batch series. Though I like stronger Vap/Pers. I appreciated the lightness of the sweetness. Kind of reminds me of sucking on honeysuckle. A touch of sweet that leaves quickly. I will take the suggestion of jarring the tobacco and see where it goes in a couple of weeks

americaman

Part of the Furniture Now
May 1, 2019
Los Angeles, CA
In my own experience, most blends and especially C&D blends, need to breathe for at least a week or two before smoking. Fresh out of the tin they normally taste a bit flat. After a couple of weeks open, like a completely different blend.
This is correct. I bought the limit on last year’s release of Sun Bear and wasn’t a fan, so I passed on this year’s. However, many people like Sun Bear. If it doesn’t suit you at first, put the lid back on and let it sit for a couple of weeks.

Cucamonga95

Starting to Get Obsessed
Nov 5, 2020
Northern VT
Gorgeous pipe!!! I got paid on Tuesday instead of Monday like usual and had some unforeseen vet bills that led to me not being able to get any on Monday. It was gone Tuesday. I was so looking forward to this one, I’m really bummed….. enjoy it!

craig61a

Lifer
Apr 29, 2017
Minnesota USA
In many cases, these one off and limited edition blends will benefit from some long term rest, at least 6 months or so in my opinion. This allows the flavors to marry.

Sun Bear, fresh, the 2019 iteration, all I could taste was the toppings for the most part. After two years of aging the toppings have settled down, and allowed the varietals to come through. A fabulous blend with some aging.

AS for "breathing", I guess that's the latest... I'll subscribe that letting the tobacco rest a bit after opening a tin does help. I just put it in a small bail jar with some air and set it aside til next time with could be a day or years...

Sanzini

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jul 14, 2021
Bristow, VA
Gorgeous pipe!!! I got paid on Tuesday instead of Monday like usual and had some unforeseen vet bills that led to me not being able to get any on Monday. It was gone Tuesday. I was so looking forward to this one, I’m really bummed….. enjoy it!
Dang sorry. Hope your pet is ok. And hope you’re and to find some Sun Bear!