PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

mikecronis

Starting to Get Obsessed
Nov 5, 2021
1655070393655.png

I was excited at trying a true "Lat Bomb", that is, something so skunky with Latakia, that it would be disconcertingly bold. Everyone on forums around announced this would be the big bad daddy at 75% Lat, truly intense an experience. I hear there's an 80% out there.. 10 Russians I think..

Having tried Sasieni Balkan, Mississippi Mud Special Reserve, and Arango Balkan Supreme, I was both excited and nervous after ordering it, and then it arrives.

Cracking open the can (aged about 1 year according to the sticker on the bottom) I'm greeted to that pungent Lat Boost scent that is like licorice and plums, both floral and spicy smoking like varnish and a camping fire extinguished. A small amount of the cake plug was cut off already and put on top. My fingers smelling like I've rummaged through things I shouldn't have, lingering and stinking up my senses; this was going to be a true explosion of Latakia!

Latakia is an acquired taste. Some love it, some don't. I seem to really enjoy it, or so I thought.

I greedily stuffed this in my pipe, knowing I'd have to change clothes and take a shower in order to stay married afterwards. (Kidding on that, my wife is very understanding, though she'd likely comment I suspect.. being the good husband that I am to mitigate damage control!) Normally she'll sit with me outside on the porch when I smoke a blend and chat, though I went solo this time for obvious reasons.

Smoking you can barely taste the alleged Cavendish and Virginia Burley. It's Latakia for sure. Took a bit of time getting properly lit as it's a bit shredded finely. Taste is a bit .. bland? No, that's not quite right. One dimensional. I'm so used to complex mixes that are blended interestingly with tastes of exotic spices and this one is.. flat? It's a flat-Lat.

It's quite smoother than I'd thought, but not exotic by any means, or very interesting. That's the point here. I'm spoiled by what I perceive to be "excellence" with perhaps the inclusion of Orientals to round it out for a full adventure. This one is plain-Jane Latakia. I think it's smoothed-out by the Cav and V/B and is much-needed. I didn't perceive it, but I suspect it's there because I didn't choke on the stuff. I bet I'd notice if those weren't there!

Overall strength is "strong"-ish, though sipping is rewarded by allowing you to stay standing up. Heavy chimney-smoking this "blend" (is it a blend?.. arguably yes) will have your face go a bit numb like drinking too much rum on an empty stomach.

Scent lingered, even after showering. Currently cellar'ed now. Not sure if it'll improve or mature. It needs some sort of topping or additional fusion maybe, but I can't figure what I'd blend it with? Sutliff's Barbados Plantation perhaps?

I think this cake is a bit over-rated, underwhelming, and not that flavorful, but fairly pure Latakia, and it's fairly honest without being pretentious or "finely crafted". It's basic and probably good on a cold night somewhere distant, maybe on a ship after sucking on a Fisherman's Friend throat lozenge.

Somewhat recommended. If you're a purist, Lat-fiend, then I recommend it. Overall, not bad because it was smooth.

craig61a

Lifer
Apr 29, 2017
Minnesota USA
I have 7-8 bricks stashed away. I don’t smoke it often, but when the mood strikes me, it’s an enjoyable smoke.

I don’t find it overpowering, but it’s on the stronger side. Maybe I’ll smoke some today. Supposed to get hot outside.

Reactions: anotherbob

autococker07

Might Stick Around
Mar 29, 2022
Fort Walton Beach, FL
I love this stuff.... it is a bit one dimensional, maybe thats why I like it, tastes like a boring cigar to me.... mixed half and half with Ashtons artisan's blend provides a revved up alternative to nightcap (its not nearly as balanced as nightcap, but stronger with background nuance)

Reactions: mikecronis

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I like Latakia as a condiment, mostly in lower proportions. I think Latakia and Perique are both overworked as default condiments in English and other blends. Therefore, this review makes a lot of sense to me. I haven't burned out on Lat over the years because I haven't smoked it every day. On the other hand I'm a big fan of C&D's burley based and burley condiment blends that lend variety to that fine old leaf. Good review, with the subjective side well handled.

vosBghos

Lifer
May 7, 2022
Idaho
The first time I smoked it I got some creamy sweetness ( might have been some plum pudding residue in my carbon cake) next time I smoked it , pure soap, problem was after that the next 3-5 bowls of whatever I smoked tasted like pure soap, had me backed off the Lat and hitting pure Burleys and VA’s for the rest of the week. Gonna dedicate a cob to it and other Lat bombs for when the mood strikes which I’m sure will be very rarely , otherwise nice to have it in the cellar.