PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

craig61a

Lifer
Apr 29, 2017
Minnesota USA
A few years back I bought a few tins of HB to bump an order up to get free shipping.

There were a few people on this board that raved about it several years ago.

With 3.5 years of age on it it’s a pretty flavorful smoke. A bold, nutty, leathery Burley, sweet Red Virginia that has almost a grapefruit characteristic, and the plum note of the Perique are for me just an easy going no brainer that just smokes good for me. I didn’t dwell on it much, it just works for me.

It’s a little more complex than that; the nicotine is on the stronger side but not overpowering. Well behaved and I didn’t have to fuss with it much, just loaded it up and go.

So I suppose I will buy some more to stash away..,

CallMeSangy

Starting to Get Obsessed
May 12, 2022
Central Virginia
hmmm... this makes me feel like buying and storing a tin in similar fashion to what you've done. i tried an ounce and found myself wanting. a bit of sweetness here and nuttyness there. nothing that made me want to come back. though if age'll make it better, i suppose sitting on it might be worth trying.

Reactions: Scottmi and clynch

camaguey

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jul 25, 2021
west indies
HB is the kind of burley i like. Also the Solani aged burley. However , i really dislike prince albert , carter hall , walter raleigh and most burley codger blends. So , for me , if someone ask me if i like burley...i have to be be specific on my answer. Not like when i say i like latakia or vaper wich i say yes only.

Grangerous

Lifer
Dec 8, 2020
East Coast USA
HB is one I wasn’t fond of and I’ve said so here. I always found it bland, preferring many other C&D blends over HB. Pegasus, OJK Blue, Briar Fox, Winchester, Crooner to name a few.

But, this past winter I’d reached for Haunted Bookshop on several occasions and was surprised. A pleasant enough smoke. Still, it’s not one I’d ever stock up on or miss if it were no longer available.

Cool name, though.??

on edit: It’s no Granger. ☝️?

StPaulPiper

Might Stick Around
Dec 18, 2021
St Paul, MN
I bought some, knowing that a lot of people like it. Then I gave it away. Not for me. Might as well light up a cigarette, in my opinion, but then I'm not a burley and virginia guy. I like crossovers like Kramer's Carey Grant, Eastfarthing and Sutliff's Aromatic English #504.

vosBghos

Lifer
May 7, 2022
Idaho
I thought I didn’t like it at first but I crave it every once in a while and like you I get a couple Oz. To pad the shipping. Now I gots to go to the basement as you’ve tickled my interests it’s been down there a while.

TexJake

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 7, 2022
Hill Country, TX
For quite a while HB was what I loaded up if I didn’t spend much time thinking about what else to smoke instead. I like it for what I get from it - a straightforward smoke with deep earthy burley flavors and a Perique touch. For me, it’s not usually a smoke that I sit and search for flavors and calm my mind, but it’s a tobacco that can be enjoyed alongside something else that is my focus at the time. I’ve got quite a bit of it, and will probably keep topping off as it slowly dwindles from my cabinet.

vosBghos

Lifer
May 7, 2022
Idaho
Someone said that nobody likes HB the first time around. That was my experience too. But I came back to it and came to love it. I also love OJK, but really really dislike OJK Blue
I just smoked some HB and OJK back to back still prefer the OJK , never tried any of the other variations , but I’m all ears if anybody‘s got some pros and cons of what OJK to try next and why…

Reactions: Scottmi

OldManFrog

Lurker
Aug 2, 2022
The Woodlands
Novice smoker with no palette yet, but I enjoyed a bowl of HB today. Have to agree with 8ball that it was very easy to keep lit. Relaxing and enjoyable, easy smoke. So far I've tried Early Morning Pipe, PS23 B&B, Sutliff Black Cordial and Pirate Kake. This and Early Morning Pipe have been my favorites so far. Just trying to get a taste for the different blends at this point but prefer the English blends and the Burleys over the aromatics so far. Have some Sun Bear Mountain Flower I am looking forward to trying next.

deadidunn

Starting to Get Obsessed
May 30, 2020
Hineston, LA
I have a couple oz that I bought from bulk at a local shop. I just can't seem to like it much. I get very little flavor and it seems flat from 3/4 bowl and down. I've tried wider bowls, as suggested here, but still a no-go. I have a few tins also; I think I may crack one open and see if perhaps it is the bulk tobacco I purchased from that is the issue.

Reactions: Scottmi
Jul 15, 2011
I've smoked me a lot of Haunted Bookshop in my day and I couldn't agree more. I could smoke it all day long with a firm finger tamp and have it gone in 2 or 3 matches. Tasty, reliable, clean burning, perfect nic hit. *Chef's kiss*

Reactions: Scottmi and Jacob74
Jul 26, 2021
Metro-Detroit
Haunted Bookshop is a blend I wanted to like. The name is perfect, the artwork is awesome both now and previously, and the ingredients of Burley, Perique, and Virgina should speak to me. But I don't care for it and don't know why (not that the first two things listed carry much weight).

I used it for filler in making other blends more stout and didn't really care for it as that. Sad because I had great expectations shattered.

• Love
Reactions: Scottmi and Sgetz

coys

Can't Leave
Feb 15, 2022
Missouri
Thought about trying this.

Is it Burley that makes it stay lit easily? My tastes so far trend toward the English, but sometimes I'm in the workshop or doing other things, and would like something I don't need to manage closely. Maybe I need a good Burley...

Hats off to Haunted Bookshop.
Just felt like tipping my hat to my fellow user-sub Imgurians - GIF on Imgur