PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

TheDesertPiper

Starting to Get Obsessed
Apr 5, 2021
Arizona
Picked up a tin of Cornell & Diehl comfort as well as a few other goodies earlier today from my local B&M. Comfort is part of their "serenity" series which I, until about 4 hours ago, had never heard of. Wasn't planning on buying it, but the description on the tin sounded good. It said it was a soothing blend of Perique, bright Virginias, Burley, and Black Cavendish. I got home and decided that I wanted to try this blend out right away. Tin note according to my nose was a little spicy, a little earthy, faintly sweet. Honestly, not the greatest tin note(in my humble opinion), but that wasn't going to stop me. The tobacco itself was a tad moist out of the tin. More moisture then I like when I smoke so I set it out on a paper plate to dry for 45 minutes. This tobacco has a pretty fine cut. I mean, its almost minced. I don't mind the fine cut though. It made packing a bowl into my Savinelli Bing's favorite rusticated even easier. I then stepped out into the brisk 106 degree Arizona evening weather to light up.

The char light had a really full kind of tobacco flavor. It took me 2 more lights to really get it going, (probably should have dried it a tad longer) but once it was going I was able to sit back and really try taste it. I got very VERY light taste of dark fruit at first that moved into a toasted wheat/hay flavor. I caught trailing tidbits of nuttiness from the burley. As I worked my way through the bowl I got sporadic and faint tastes of pepper. If I retrohaled I got a higher concentration of spicy peppery flavor from my nose, but it was definitely lighter in the perique department then I was expecting. I still enjoyed the way the flavors worked together though. I don't know if it was the burley or the black cavendish that gave it its smoothness, but that smoke was smoooooth. Flavor wise I think its good. Its not overwhelming. It smoked cool with absolutely zero bite. It burned somewhere between a fast- medium speed and it didn't leave any crazy residue in my bowl.

Overall I enjoyed it. I don't think its gonna blow anybody away, but it is without a doubt a solid choice. Its the kind of easy tobacco you smoke on a warm evening while you relax and concentrate on something else, like a book, a conversation, or when your neighbors are gonna finally stop shooting off fireworks until 11 o'clock at night. I would say it is very much lives up to the name comfort, because it is an easy going, comforting smoke. If you are new pipe smoker I think it would be a great introduction to VaPers. Id recommend at least giving it try and if you hate it you can send the rest to me because I know I'll smoke it.

Status
Not open for further replies.