PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

mikecronis

Starting to Get Obsessed
Nov 5, 2021
1655507379895.png1655507462118.png

Having tried Pirate Kake, and being a new fan of Latakias, I ordered the "beast" of Captain Earle's Ten Russians.

Many reviews have scared me of this blend and I broke off chunks cautiously as it reeked as a true Lat-bomb, ruining fingers, pungent and alluring, but then again, it's an acquired taste (like sweaty, skunk-y, dank, pheromone-rich, girl-post-workout armpit fetishism) so I jumped in.

Smelling both Pirate Kake and Ten Russians side-by-side, Ten Russians is far more "plum-y" and P-Kake is more sharp and licorice-y. Ten Russians is a bit like Pirate Kake mixed with Arango Balkan Supreme and Seattle's Mississippi Mud.

I've been warned that smoking Ten Russians is like, well, being hoodwinked in a back-alley by, 10 Russians, getting beat-up and all, so I sipped from my Peterson Dracula 999 cautiously ... and was well-rewarded in doing so.

I noticed as has been described by several others as "fine ash" upon smoking. Sure enough, this occurred. This requires immediate dumping of the ash, else it'll be sucked-in through the stem, resulting in a smokey taste everyone complains about (or lauds, depending). You don't want this. It's the ash. I find, as with other C&D stuff, and like Kendall's Chocolate Flake, if you pull in this fine ash, you'll get sick like a vitamin-N double-overdose. I'm not sure if the ash contains nicotine, but I've personally had a "bad time" doing such, and go green and want to sweat and puke from it, so I'm guessing so. I've had nicotine-poisoning levels from doing this, and it's as familiar as the first time I took my first hunk of Skoal back "in the day" and nearly passed-out and vomited from it back in the '80s, the vitamin-N just endlessly rushing in from a pleasant buzz to a dizziness like truly drunk to vomit city. I was cautious and this did not happen.

I dumped the ash the minute I started to taste it, which was very frequently, like every 10 minutes. See ash? Scoop it out, re-light, tamp and press-onward. Flavor comes back to the constant, plum-y, licorice with a creamy, almost Cavendish topping, possibly from the Virginias, the Orientals adding sparkle and sweetness too. Honestly, it reminded me a bit of Sanseni Balkan too, but more-so Mississippi Mud Special Reserve.

The smoke is fairly rich and tasty and smokes cool enough, but you have to pay attention to it as if you were playing Russian Roulette and you have to count the number of clicks of the revolver carefully. You have to mind over your pipe and the ash levels and dump and adjust accordingly, and sloooowly sip and it's quite plum-y and sweet and good. Being foolish, chimney-smoking deep, drawing deep (thereby pulling-in ash) will punish you harshly. It is to be respected and controlled for success.

It's very tasty and skunky, pungent and, like me, if you're into that, perfectly savory.

After a full-bowl I was satisfied with a reasonable, medium amount of nicotine that didn't overwhelm but was noted.

Overall, Ten Russians is delicious, but is to be respected and is not a sort of tobacco you should ignore its progress abscent-mindedly, probably like a Russian sea captain with ten sailors who, at any moment, could shiv you in the night. Command and respect is warranted. Success and tasty smoking perfection is won and well deserved at that.

Recommended for those mindful of the journey.

john19

Part of the Furniture Now
Nov 27, 2021
Greece
Nice review. My order has arrived. Tomorrow i will have it with H&H Blackhouse, C&D Burley flake #3, Peterson Irish Flake, and C&D Black Frigate. I'll finish with Ashton Artisan's, and then start with this one.

Many reviews have scared me of this blend and I broke off chunks cautiously as it reeked as a true Lat-bomb, ruining fingers, pungent and alluring, but then again, it's an acquired taste (like sweaty, skunk-y, dank, pheromone-rich, girl-post-workout armpit fetishism) so I jumped in.
Mary Katherine Gallagher GIFs | Tenor

starrynight

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 10, 2023
I’ve found, for me, I really need a perique and red Virginia base in my lat blends to get my attention. Not a fan of “lat bombs” as they kind of bore me.

Thanks for the review, been curious about this one for a while.

Reactions: john19

Singularis

Sep 11, 2019
Wausau, Wis
Just opened up my one tin of this that I've been waiting to open since I got it 3 Christmases ago. It is nearly 3 years old (based on packaging label).

Honestly, I have been hesitant to open it based on it's supposed taste level and reputation as being a lat-bomb. I love Latakia and Englishes and Balkans, but I don't want to tire on these kinds of blends, so try to limit myself and change things up regularly. Some would say that the warmer summer months are not the best time to be trying out a new strong lat-bomb blend like Ten Russians, but the nights here in upper Wisconsin are still relatively mild and pleasant. Perfect for an evening pipe smoking walk with a heady Balkan!

Anyway, smoked a not-overpacked 3/4 bowl in my Peterson Rusticated Kinsale XL14 (Deerstalker shape), which I like to smoke my Latakia blends from. It was absolutely wonderful! Never tired of the bold barbecue-and-campfire aromas and flavors, lit it only once for the entire walk (perfect moisture and composition right out of the just-popped tin), beautiful from top to bottom! And, it didn't leave me on cloud 9 from nicotine.

Honestly, I liked it about as much as the C&D Super Balkan, Balkan Supreme and 15 year old Westminster I've been dipping into lately. Similar, and yet different enough to make this a welcome change. Granted, I'll want to smoke several more bowls before I make any rash judgments of "Nirvana", but I think I won't have trouble getting through the tin. Looking forward, now, to trying my two other tins from Captain Earle's: Nightwatch and Private Stock.

Cheers and happy smoking, lat-bomb lovers and haters alike! puffy

sparker69

Feb 25, 2022
Montreal, Quebec, Canada
I just cracked open a tin myself - wary of the reputation it had. But honestly, I didn't find it particularly strong. A very nice latakia taste, maybe just missing a bit of the sweetness that I often find with these blends. Reminded me a bit of Gaslight, minus the sweetness & creosote.
THE LAT BOMB THAT I'M CURIOUS ABOUT IS C&D DA VINCI! - 75% LATAKIA!
Has anyone tried it? Thoughts?
Oh - and another Lat blend that I rarely see getting mentioned but that deserves more attention is Brebbia Balkan.

john19

Nov 27, 2021
Greece
I just cracked open a tin myself - wary of the reputation it had. But honestly, I didn't find it particularly strong. A very nice latakia taste, maybe just missing a bit of the sweetness that I often find with these blends. Reminded me a bit of Gaslight, minus the sweetness & creosote.
THE LAT BOMB THAT I'M CURIOUS ABOUT IS C&D DA VINCI! - 75% LATAKIA!
Has anyone tried it? Thoughts?
Oh - and another Lat blend that I rarely see getting mentioned but that deserves more attention is Brebbia Balkan.
C&D Pirate Kake also have 75% latakia.

Reactions: astromatt