PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

thomasw

Part of the Furniture Now
Dec 5, 2016
I have been smoking this blend for a few years and I have a question about why the blend seems to improve so much after roughly a year or slightly less in a mason jar. I like it 'fresh' as well, but after almost a year, the blend just becomes deliciously smooth. Looking on TR, some reviewers note this too but none offer a reason. When I examine the constituent tobaccos in it, I am left wondering why does it age as it does rather swiftly. Any ideas?

May 4, 2015
Haunted Bookshop with a year on it is really great, too. I think a bit of time mellows out some of the harshness that these blends can sometimes have.

Ok, as to what happens to a tobacco while aging for one year... There is a dynamic transition of the sugars, and the minerals will form new structures that branch out throughout the structures of the alodehyde cathode of the atomic structures... then the little magic bugs eat up the oxygen in the jars and magically transforms the tobaccos into sweet goodness. I swear this all to be the god's honest truth.

cortezattic

Lifer
Nov 19, 2009
Chicago, IL
With some exceptions, I think the changes to -- and benefits of -- aging are greatly exaggerated. Doubtlessly differences can be discerned at certain milestone points like 6mos., 1yr., 2yrs., 5yrs., etc. (cf. Pease); but whether those changes constitute an improvement is moot. Frankly, I prefer recently tinned tobaccos for what Pease calls their youthful exuberance.
While on this point, I'd like to know why some smokers say the aged stuff is sweeter. To my knowledge, the bacteria, fungi, and whatever other buggers are present, are consuming sugars -- not producing them!

deathmetal

Lifer
Jul 21, 2015
IMO burleys and latakias get way better with age.
In my experience, this is true: the Latakia loses its sharp edge, and the Burleys get nuttier, sort of like your average internet forum :D

deathmetal

Lifer
Jul 21, 2015
Tobacco off-gassing. I never understood this until I smoked floor tiles, which are also much sweeter with six months of age on 'em.

deathmetal

Lifer
Jul 21, 2015
Cosmic understands the golden law of internet forums: whatever the ostensible topic, the real topic is always beer, farts and mammaries.

thomasw

Part of the Furniture Now
Dec 5, 2016
Thanks for the insightful and entertaining replies!
In my experience, this is true: the Latakia loses its sharp edge, and the Burleys get nuttier...
It would seem in certain combinations this happens at faster rates, too.
I'd be interested to know what is reacting. I'll have to do a little research :)
DM - floortiles OK but stay away from shag carpet!

deathmetal

Lifer
Jul 21, 2015
It would seem in certain combinations this happens at faster rates, too.
Good point. Burleys and Virginias seem to take on some of the flavor of smoke cured varieties of leaf (dark fired/Latakia) and mellow it out. Not sure how that works.
Currently smoking the drapes. Polyester and wool, which leads to a mellowing of the extremes of both.

mawnansmiff

Lifer
Oct 14, 2015
Sunny Cornwall, UK.
"While on this point, I'd like to know why some smokers say the aged stuff is sweeter. To my knowledge, the bacteria, fungi, and whatever other buggers are present, are consuming sugars -- not producing them!"
Cortez, that is a very interesting question you ask there. Thing is, can anyone offer a credible answer. If so then I for one would love to hear it.
Regards,
Jay.

As will always come up... the pipe tobacco industry is not a billion dollar industry. It is ma and pa companies working together. So, they cannot afford the scientific studies that RJ Reynolds or Ford would be able to have done. So, the majority of studies on pipe tobacco aging is guessing and conjecture. Some have posted links to scientific sites in the past on aging, but these were cigarette tobaccos using the rehydrated cellulose used in the cigarette industry. Greg Pease has the best explanation, but I have never seen any actual studies published by him. He has just used really good guess work, based on what we know about the wine industry and such. (I think)
If any billionaires would like to have a study done, then that would be awesome.

ray47

Lifer
Jul 10, 2015
Dalzell, South Carolina
I just opened a jar of Big & Burley that has been sealed since August 2014. The harshness has diminished and it is somewhat sweeter compared to the fresh. The nic hit is still in the strong range. Fresh C&D blends are usually harsh and not all that sweet, but with age they improve, according to my tastes.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Most of my stash (cellar is too refined a word) is several years old or more, so this is good news. I'd been operating on the notions that burley keeps well but doesn't improve, and that Latakia after a point begins to fade, and if it is aged too much, it fades quickly after opening the tin. But this thread is taking a different direction. It's more optimistic. I'd rather believe it. I did have a tin of GLP Westminster where the Lat faded very quickly, and to use up the tin, I had to bolster it with other blends or tobacco to finish the tin. GLP is very highly regarded, so perhaps it was just this batch or this tin. C&D Big 'n Burley is a robust full-strength blend, but I haven't noticed it notching up so much, just a good consistent boldness.

deathmetal

Lifer
Jul 21, 2015
It seems to me that most of the focus is on Virginias, so we forget to think about what other types of leaf are doing when they age.
Perhaps what is occurring more than anything else is a breakdown of vegetative components, which allows the natural sweetness to be more easily perceived, or an adjustment in pH as happens with old books over time.
For some weird reason, this reminds me of sauerkraut. As cabbage is fermented, it becomes sweeter and tarter, as opposed to having the somewhat starchy and awkward flavor it does right off the head.
Wine is a good analogy. Over time, some chemicals decompose and others are more discernible as a result.
@Cosmic, you're right about the PG. I have moved on to smoking 1970s Chevrolet bench seats.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
...death', like your sauerkraut observation! "starchy awkward flavor" (!) Just had corned beef and cabbage a the K&W, but with lots of butter and some sugar to carry it off, which despite how it sounds, wasn't bad.

Status
Not open for further replies.