PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

cory84

Can't Leave
Jul 15, 2012
Oregon
First review here, so bear with me.

Really like the black and bright green artwork on this one. Give the impression of being strong and mysterious. Apparently this comes from an HP Lovecraft series of tobaccos which is interesting.

When I cracked this one open I was instantly hit by smell of smoky latakia and a subtle BBQ sent. Getting my nose closer to the tin I start picking up more of a sour, earthy, musty, and slightly sweet smell. There's quite a bit going on here.

As far as moisture this tobacco comes more or less ready to smoke. I was expecting it to be much more moist. It could benefit from a little drying but really wouldn't be necessary. This is a nice ribbon cut tobacco with some chunks of latakia. Really easy to pack and light.

On the initial light overall it's quite smooth and light with just a slight bite from the virginas and perique. As I smoke I'm starting to pick up more spicy elements, and a little rougher edges. The Cavendish adds a very slight sweetness and helps add some smoothness. This tobacco is more complex than most I have smoked and get hit with different levels of smokiness, sourness, and sweetness. Smoking this at a slower pace to pick up on the different flavors I enjoy it very much.

The latakia comes much more to the front about halfway into the bowl. It seems to wrap around the other tobaccos and just bring everything together. The sweetness of the cavendish also begins to stand out more mid way. This tobacco seems to get smoother and it gets closer to the bottom which I really haven't experienced before. almost bordering on the flavors of some aromatic/english crossover blends I've had in the past. There is subtle spice from the perique throughout.

Overall I would say this tobacco hits right about medium in both flavor and nicotine hit. The flavor is forward and good tasting but doesn't seem to linger in the mouth as much as other blends with this much latakia. I really like the complexity here and how it changes through out the bowl. I have lots of other tobaccos to try but I could see myself buying this again in the future. Would also like to see what it does with age.
Recommend

Open a tin!-20210220_132837_1613932514355.jpg Open a tin!-20210220_132450_1613932483196.jpg

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Sounds good. I like most blends from C&D, and I'm interested this one has no burley, since that is a mainstay of C&D blends. The name is kind of fun. Good review.

Status
Not open for further replies.