PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

newbroom

Lifer
Jul 11, 2014
Florida
I have seldom dallied in aros, but lately tried two that are actually easy, clean smoking cavendish 'blends' from Lane..Dark Red, and Black Vanilla English. I've never trie 1Q, but these two mentioned are both easy mixers with your favorite non aros and also smoke quite nicely all by themselves.
Autumn Evening didn't hit me as an overwhelming sugar bomb, but I found it to be a mediocre sort of smoke. I might find it more to my liking now'a'days. It's been a few yrs since I smoked it.

Merton

Part of the Furniture Now
Jul 8, 2020
Boston, Massachusetts
There is a great and colorful review of AE on the now moribund tobacco reviews. It is the one which discusses how sweet AE is and takes to task those reviewers who don't like it as smokers of campfires, old tires and leather products. I like AE now and then. It became sort of a door opener to red virginia for me. It remains one of the better aromatics out there, for me behind Devil's Holiday and Milonga.

ofafeather

Lifer
Apr 26, 2020
Where NY, CT & MA meet
An updated review on this blend... I really love it!! I am not sure why the first few times weren't jivin' with me but wow my perspective on this blend has changed dramatically. We shall call the initial review a first impression :)
To a certain extent a pipe can retain the flavors of a previous smoke, some more than others, so it’s possible that what you smoked in the same pipe previously was sweeter. Like you discovered it usually takes several bowls or more to start to get to know a blend. Glad you’re enjoying.

Skatutakee

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 22, 2021
Massachusetts / New Hampshire
I have been smoking a pipe for 1 week now and I really love aromatics/sweets. However, C&D AE is way too sweet. It is like chugging syrup and caramel at the same time. I will not smoke it on its own. I may mix a little into something like Mac Baren Mixture Scottish. Many like C&D AE but I just can't.
I really wanted to like AE but put it away after a few bowls, disappointed. It comes across unpleasantly sour to me, which doesn’t match up at all with how its fans describe it. Not throwing it out, though. I’ll give it another go, but not any time soon.

NightShayde

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 19, 2021
Georgia
flatline2beatline.com
I really wanted to like AE but put it away after a few bowls, disappointed. It comes across unpleasantly sour to me, which doesn’t match up at all with how its fans describe it. Not throwing it out, though. I’ll give it another go, but not any time soon.
I didn't like it at first.. the first 3x I tried it. Then I got a new pipe and it changed everything. In addition, I gave it more airing time which really changed the profile.

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
The name of this baffles me. Why Evening, why not Autumn Pancakes? Last thing I want in the evening is to be reminded of breakfast. I'm glad that you liked it, or didn't like it. Whichever.
Folks like colorful brand names. Penzance wouldn't have nearly its culture following were it more accurately named "Horse Shit".rotf

macaroni

Lifer
Oct 28, 2020
Texas
I like it alot-half way through a bowl right now. Started sipping it and then found this thread. I get the caramel and syrup, but from the start an even bigger burley flavor (don't know if its white or dark or whatever kind of burley). Good for me :)
kindly
mike

Reactions: ofafeather

krizzose

Lifer
Feb 13, 2013
Michigan
I like AE, in that it's not weird or chemically tasting, but it's just too much for me on its own. But it's great to add a pinch to cheap bulk burleys and virginias.

Reactions: ofafeather

jewman22

Lifer
Apr 2, 2021
Ontario Canada
I have had about an oz. of the stuff now, and I find it to be a bit finicky, and what I mean is that how you pack the bowl greatly impacts the flavour, considerably more than with other blends Iv'e had.
I have found a nice tight pack, although it will smoke a bit wet, eliminates a lot of that sourness.
Also found it to smoke better out of a bent billiard rather than a straight.

Winterreise

Lifer
Oct 21, 2020
Montréal , Québec
I’m from Québec Homeland of the best maple syrup ?and i can attest that autumn evening don’t smell nor taste like maple at all , to me its a butterscotch blend , something close to microwave popcorn….

i’m late in the party a friend just gave me a 1 oz sample and i feel like sharing this awful experience of mine hehe if you like it don’t mind my opinion nnnn

Reactions: hoosierpipeguy

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
I’m from Québec Homeland of the best maple syrup ?and i can attest that autumn evening don’t smell nor taste like maple at all , to me its a butterscotch blend , something close to microwave popcorn….

i’m late in the party a friend just gave me a 1 oz sample and i feel like sharing this awful experience of mine hehe if you like it don’t mind my opinion nnnn
There are those that hate it and those that love it. I could easily go through a pound of it in a couple of weeks.

Smoke dog

Lurker
Sep 21, 2021
In the dog house
I didn't like it at first.. the first 3x I tried it. Then I got a new pipe and it changed everything. In addition, I gave it more airing time which really changed the profile.
When i first picked up the pipe, and had a mildly decent rotation of briar, i soon was amazed at how different pipes make tobaccos taste so different. If i don't like a blend after a few bowls I'll switch pipes.
I recently got some Jon Marr from C&D and hated it.Smoked it in 8 different bowls of different sizes and shapes, and they all fell flat w that offering.
Tried it on a whim in my newly repaired W.O. Larsen panelled brandy, OHH MY LORD.... I love it. That pipe makes it song sweet lullabys to me.