PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jul 12, 2011
I would suggest to try some blends with cigar leaf, they are outstanding :worship:
Sorry I'm naming a bunch, but I smoke a lot of C&D blends, so the list below are what I smoke often;

Mad Fiddler Flake

Night Train

Billy Budd

Dreams of Kadath

Bow Legged Bear

Crooked Lane

Five O'Clock Shadow

Habana Daydream

Seersucker

Star of the East

milehighpiper

Can't Leave
Sep 10, 2018
Denver, CO
Thanks for all the suggestions. I will look through here and see what the top recommended ones are. I will also look at G.L. Pease. The Virginia Cream sounds pretty awesome for an aromatic. I will keep you posted on what the final haul brings.

Mar 29, 2016
Pirate Kake, Kajun Kake, Briar Fox and Billy Budd impressed me the most so far. For me C&D tobaccos are a hit or a miss.

milehighpiper

Can't Leave
Sep 10, 2018
Denver, CO
Thank you all for the suggestions! After 50+ blends suggested, here is the breakdown:
#1. Star of the East wins with six suggestions!

———————————————————

These were all tied wirh 5 suggestions in the order they go there!

#2. Black Frigate

#3. Haunted Bookshop

#4. Dreams of Kadath

#5. Pirate Cake

———————————————————

4 votes

Bayou Night

York town

———————————————————

3 votes

Mad Fiddler Flake

Opening Night
I will let you know what I end up ordering.

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
Gee, the 2 i love and smoke exclusively at the moment weren't even mentioned: Red Odessa and Stratfordshire.
Red Odessa did.
http://pipesmagazine.com/forums/topic/cornell-and-diehl-your-opinion#post-1317963

hawky454

Lifer
Feb 11, 2016
Austin, TX
Like others, I was not a big fan of theirs when I first started smoking but over the years I’ve come to really appreciate a lot of their blends and I really think Jeremy Reeves is proving himself as a real good master blender. Some of his newer blends are just stellar. Some of my favorites are:

Old Joe Krantz

Haunted Bookshop

Billy Budd

Star of the East Flake

Engine 99

Dreams of Kadath

Bijou

Mad Fiddler Flake

Epiphany

Big N Burley

diamondback

Lifer
Feb 22, 2019
Rockvale, TN
Gee, the 2 i love and smoke exclusively at the moment weren't even mentioned: Red Odessa and Stratfordshire.
I put a vote in for Red Odessa (above). I didn’t like it at first but it grew on me. The Turkish & Va proportions are deliciously balanced! An oddity that I still experience with it is that it wants to go out on me, so I have to keep a slightly faster cadence with it. But I love it. I also like Stratfordshire, but would choose RO if I had to pick between the two.

Chasing Embers

Nov 12, 2014
I put a vote in for Red Odessa (above). I didn’t like it at first but it grew on me.
I've got some that I purchased back in 2008. The Latakia has mellowed, and the Virginias have sweetened considerably. Very good stuff.

diamondback

Lifer
Feb 22, 2019
Rockvale, TN
Embers, do you find that it’s prone to go out easily? Maybe it’s the pound I bought a couple years ago. I don’t remember that behavior from my initial two ounce sample. Anyway, I need another pound of it... and Orion’s Arrow also...

Chasing Embers

Nov 12, 2014
Embers, do you find that it’s prone to go out easily?
I find it favors a light rubbing and a soft touch when packing. As long as its got room to burn without packing too tightly it'll burn to the bottom of the bowl with one or two relights.
Anyway, I need another pound of it... and Orion’s Arrow also...
And Oriental Silk. :mrgreen:

diamondback

Lifer
Feb 22, 2019
Rockvale, TN
Thanks Embers! I’ll try teasing it out a bit more before packing.
I’ll grab a tester of Oriental Silk now that you’ve recommended it. I’m an ounce or so in to the Frigate so I suppose I’m a lowly deck scrubber ;-) I’ll try to climb in rank by ordering more! I’m digging it.

Chasing Embers

Nov 12, 2014
I’ll grab a tester of Oriental Silk now that you’ve recommended it.
If you like Orion's Arrow, that's an excellent companion blend.
I’m an ounce in to the Frigate so I suppose I’m a lowly deck scrubber ;-) I’ll try to climb in rank by ordering more! I’m digging it.
Ha ha, yes! That one's been in my top five for twenty years and never lets me down.

shanez

Lifer
Jul 10, 2018
Las Vegas
As much as I like Black Frigate, I would take Dreams of Kaddath first.
I think burley is an undervalued varietal in the pipe world, and nobody does burley better than C&D.
I see your cornbread and raise you cheesecake: Manil

sittingbear

Part of the Furniture Now
Jul 20, 2015
Olympia, WA
The one that hasn't been mentioned yet that I recently tried and liked quite a bit is Manhattan Afternoon. It's a nice virginia flake with a honey topping that really comes through, but not in an aromatic kind of way. Subtle, sweet, and delicious!

Status
Not open for further replies.