so tomorrow i am going to get one what i would like to know is there

any particular way one breaks it in or just do the same as with my other

pipes

tks

david(SCOTLAND)

macnutz

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 7, 2011
One beauty of the corn cob is that you don't have to break it in. With a bit of care it can last a long time, much longer than seems reasonable. BUT, as stated by the wiser fellows above, don't smoke it too hot. In deed, you are wide to buy American when getting a cob. The Chinese knock offs are to be avoided for a variety of reasons.

francois1

Might Stick Around
Jul 21, 2011
Tks for the advice on buying chinese will check out first

befor i buy dont need junk

david

drsam

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 25, 2011
Best ones are missouri meerschaums made in Washington Mo USA

macnutz

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 7, 2011
Yes, I believe Missouri Meerschaum is the only company in America still making corn cob pipes. They use cobs developed for them by the University of Missouri that are large and have a denser pith than most varieties of corn. There is another thread on here, I believe titled Ebay corn cobs that has links to several on line sellers of MMcobs and a video explaining why the Chinese fakes are to be avoided. You can find that thread in "Pipe talk"

tiltjlp

Can't Leave
Apr 9, 2011
Cheviot Ohio
francois1, you might want to read my Cob Primer and Buyers Guide so you make a good purchase, and then care for it properly.
http://pipedia.org/index.php?title=The_Complete_Corncob_primer
http://pipedia.org/index.php?title=Missouri_Meerschaum_Corncob_Buying_Guide

weezell

Lifer
Oct 12, 2011
You'll find you can't beat a MM cob for cool smoking pleasure.Buy one,you will have a few more..

macnutz

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 7, 2011
tltjlp, thanks for those links.
I bought my first MM cob just out of cheapness but now I love the things. Some of my very best friends started life as ears of corn.

baronsamedi

Lifer
May 4, 2011
Dallas
+1 to tiltjlp. For a cob, I would smoke nothing other (unless otherwise coming under good report from reliable sources) than A Missouri Meerschaum. You can spend as little a $4 a pipe on up and they are all quality. My first was a MM LEgend (their second cheapest pipe) and now own a Great Dane Egg, which is noticibly a better smoke (for me), but the Legend still gets more action than the others, simply because I can carry it all over and if it gets damaged, I'm out only $5. The difference in the Great Dane and the Cheapest pipe on there is not even $5.

Jul 15, 2011
I plan on getting some more cobs when I get paid as a celebration for meeting my NaNoWriMo goal. I really like cobs but the four that I have dont see much action for whatever reason. I like the way they smoke, I like the way they look, and its a great pipe for the value. PAD, here I come!

aussielass

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 18, 2011
tiltjlp thanks for those great articles, I intend to read them before my x 3 MM cobs arrive.
I think it's hilarious that most people over here, when they think of pipe smoking, they immediately think of a cob ... an amazing impact one tiny little product has had on the population at large.
When I announced I was taking up the pipe, the number of people that said they could picture me on the porch in an old rocking chair, "corn pipe" in one hand, old pottery rum flagon at the feet, 410 shotgun leaning up against the wall behind me to git varmits, pfft how rude!!! Still, it's the vision we hold of cob pipes I guess - everyone smoked them, mens, womens and chillen and they're a huge part of American culture.

Status
Not open for further replies.