PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

pawpaw

Lifer
Jun 25, 2011
cleveland NC
there is a thread about Briar Vs Meers so lets talk about the cheaper cousins i have cobs and I smoke them all the time and I have clays that I smoke nightly.I really enjoy my clays. When so many folks talk to the new pipe smoker and tell them get a cob I think they may be missing out of the joys of the clay.

weezell

Lifer
Oct 12, 2011
Good call!I've many a cob but no clays.Info on one to start with please...

mushjoon

Might Stick Around
Nov 26, 2011
I just received my MM corn cob pipes a few days ago... the first thing I did was to pack a full bowl of Squadron Leader and puff it. (I got Diplomat with both straight and bent stems)
However, before I got my corn cobs, I smoked my clays all the time.
Dawn Mist Studio does make beautiful clay pipes and also historically accurate.
However, I believe that expensive clay pipes are just not serving its true purpose: to give a great smoke to a person with a thin wallet.
Of course, I'm not trying to express a negative opinion who bought their clays from Dawn Mist.
If you want a clay pipe that are way cheaper than Dawn Mist's, check out this site: Penn Valley Pipes & Tobacco
The owner of this store is just awesome. You should definitely check out his store if you are trying to buy a clay pipe.

jchaplick

Lifer
May 8, 2011
I have a penn valley clay, and i also have two MM, they are totaly different animals, but both smoke fantastic, i would recomend the cob over the clay just for durability's sake, but they are both worthy smokers

juni

Lifer
Mar 9, 2010
No one can claim the Dawn Mist clays are expensive. I have two and I use them all the time. I once got a corncob, tried it, then threw it away.

philip

Lifer
Oct 13, 2011
Puget Sound
Clays are great pipes, but I suggest cobs to new smokers for two reasons:
1. Cobs can take a lot of abuse. I'd hate to hear that a new smoker broke his clay knocking the ashes out before he learned anything. And while I try not to drop kick my pipes, I can kick a cob clear across the boat without hurting it.
2. Cobs are cheap enough that I can give them away. I keep several around just for that reason. I invited a friend to the Seattle Pipe Club meeting last night, gave her a new cob and a Czech pipe tool. I let others in the club teach her about tobaccos and how to load and smoke her new pipe. She had such a good time, she actually talked about the possibility of quitting cigarettes. I only have one clay pipe, and I'm not giving it away!

juni

Lifer
Mar 9, 2010
I never really got used to the plasticky feel of the stem on my cob. I guess I should have gone with a better quality one - but then we are getting to briar prices.

withnail

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 30, 2011
United Kingdom
I'd agree with Philip about the almost indestructible Cob, but this thread has got me thinking. I have never actually tried a clay. My local B&M tobacconist stocks a range of them so I think I will have to pick one up next time I'm in here. Thanks for reminding me of another way to enjoy a bowl.

billinsfl

Starting to Get Obsessed
Nov 28, 2010
I am not trying to be a troll, or start a flame war, but here goes..
As a result of rendezvousing/historical reenacting, I have been exposed to clay pipes for many years; they are commonly available at any rendezvous or large living history event for under $15, and can are commonly smoked with regular tobacco or kinnikinnick, a type of Native American tobacco. They smoke well, and unless you drop them, will last as long as you. In the old days, when there were no pipe cleaners, clays were commonly tossed in a fire where the filth was burned off (and out of them) and they come out almost as clean and white as the day they were new. I've smoked 'em lots, with flakes, aromatics, plugs and ropes, and like the taste of a briar pipe better.
Cobs are nice, cheap pipes that smoke well, and I suppose there is a certain beauty in that, but in my opinion, they smoke no better than a meerschaum, and are nowhere near as lovely to behold. Their beauty, to me, is in their economy, and that's about it. Clay and stone pipes tend to smoke hot, but when properly handled, provide a smoke just as good as a cob, but to me, different. I like nice stuff, and as long as I can afford something nicer than a corncob pipe, that's what I will smoke.

nsfisher

Lifer
Nov 26, 2011
Nova Scotia, Canada
honestly said billinsfl, dont know if i agree or disagree as ive never had nor smoked a clay, but lately been thinkin i should git one i guess. Untill then, my opinion is unfounded, now that being said, what brand of clay is best for the buck????

jchaplick

Lifer
May 8, 2011
I love my pennvalley clay pipe, its real cheap and smokes well, i have the sherlock holmes model

jchaplick

Lifer
May 8, 2011
no problem, i hope you go for it, they are a great investment for the money, mine has never let me down

nsfisher

Lifer
Nov 26, 2011
Nova Scotia, Canada
I love my pennvalley clay pipe, its real cheap and smokes well, i have the sherlock holmes model
well its certainly diff lookin, u need longer cleaners for it? and do they smoke wet?

Status
Not open for further replies.