PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

vates

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 16, 2019
I would like to sand-off a bit of the rim from my (rather fresh) MM Washington cob (for various reasons).
Is there a certain way to protect the exposed rim? Some kind of a sealer?
Thank you for your advice.

vates

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 16, 2019
Because I would like to seal it :) The quality of this particular cob is rather disappointing, (btw, of 7 cobs I ordered lately three came with serious imperfections. and I'm not picky at all), so I would like to protect the rim after I'll shape it to eh... less free-handy condition.

Reactions: jpmcwjr and dcon

jeffro

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jul 18, 2017
Of the various cob modifications I have done in the past.
I use plaster of paris mixed with watered down white school glue to fill in void spots or a crack. then stain the pipe or some-times leave it natural.
then after final sanding finish the pipes with natural Shellac I purchase from a wood-crafters store.

vates

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 16, 2019
Got some tips from the factory:

"We actually “top” each pipe by hand which we do with some sandpaper on a rotating disc. This is done before we spray varnish the pipes. Since the pipe is put upside down on a peg to spray varnish, I don’t think there is a lot of varnish that actually gets on the top of the pipe. If you do decide to use a little spray varnish, you may want to consider blocking the tobacco hole in some fashion so the varnish doesn’t get into the tobacco chamber."

"...we buy our lacquer in large drums and it is an industrial type lacquer. I’m not sure what type of lacquer that is available on a consumer level that would be similar. You may want to look for something that is water based."

Reactions: jpmcwjr
Status
Not open for further replies.