Corn Cob Pipes? Well if you haven't tried one - You Oughta!

SmokingPipes.com Updates

Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner

Drucquers Banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

clanobucklin

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 19, 2010
Once upon a time, when I was a young Buck, I knew I wanted to continue smoking after years of smoking cigarettes. While in the military (USMC) cigarettes were cheap - but I knew there were health risks - so I looked to my Dad for inspiration. My Dad had been a hard core pipe smoker all his life. Thus the prodigal son looked to emulate "Dad."
Back in 1987 - there was no Ebay - Cigars weren't in vogue - so I hit a few Pipe shops and bought my first Briar Pipe. After a few days - I was a hooked. Much to my spouse's chagrin - I began to buy as many pipes - briar and meerschaum as fast as possible. Major PAD. I bought a couple of cobs out of curiosity - but found I was enjoying briar more - so I dropped the 2 I owned and continued on my pipe journey.
Now years later - I have bought my first Corn Cob. After careful consideration I selected the MM brand as they were touted on being the best. I place an order with 4 Noggins.com and with a 4 ounce pouch of Storm Front - I figured if I didn't like the Cob - the tobacco would assuage any disappointment I might have.
Welll...its been 3 days I have been smoking that pipe and it seems to keep on going and going. Haven't had a bad smoke yet - which is a nice accomplishment. The pipe is coloring up nicely and a nice big fat taper pipe cleaner seems to fit right down the stem into the bowl - no problem. The smoke itself is cool with a hint of cob sweetness that is absolutely delicious. And the cost - forgedaboutit! Dirt Cheap.
The only down side is that "it is written" that Corn Cob pipes don't last as long as briars - and tend to burn out over time - some right away. Be that it may - who can quibble over a minor investment of under ten dollars. Another issue that may deter novice smokers is that - New cobs come with the shank inserted all the way into the bowl (at least in my MM model, I guess they easier to assemble that way) And one has to get through a break in process whereupon you are going to taste wood and what seems to be a gluey taste at the end of the bowl. The good news is that after several smokes the wooden shank (inside the bowl) burns off and the taste only gets better and better - as one is able to fill the pipe bowl all the way to bottom with the eradication of the inserted shank getting in the way. This is probably the best way to enjoy a great smoke on the cheap friends.
Why did I wait so long to try a Corn Cob? Perhaps it was snobbery on my part as Corn Cobs are inexpensive - there is no brag factor and may be viewed somewhat as declasse. However, when you think about it Mark Twain, Granny Yokum, General MacArthur, Frosty the Snowman and Popeye - all smoked Cobs - so- what better company could one ask for?
If I had to do it all over again I would have had more cobs in my collection (thankfully there is still time). I am thoroughly enjoying the "Corn Cob Pipe" smoking experience - so I give a shout - to Novice and Veteran alike: "Friends, if you haven't tried a Corn Cob Pipe recently - You Oughta!"
I have included a picture of MM Country Gentleman Cob that is smoking and coloring up Beautifully after smoking it 3 days straight.
Cheers!
downsize-17.jpg

spartan

Lifer
Aug 14, 2011
Welcome to the other side of the pipe my friend!
I still havn't burned out the bottom of stem in the bowl but I will keep smoking til it breaks!
Perfect for me while I figure out up from down and learn to smoke properly so I don't harm my briars!
Three cheers for Cobs! :puffy: :puffy: :puffy:

francois1

Might Stick Around
Jul 21, 2011
HERE in the uk only the legioned is available. I bought 1 a few weeks ago was

so impressed that i am now waiting for a delivery from mm i ordered a gift

set of 4 as shipping was $16 to make it worthwhile

hope the order arrives this week

the corn cob is as good if not better than the rest of my collection

A GREAT PIPE

david(SCOTLAND)

ace57

Lifer
Jun 21, 2011
Cobs are a good smoke, I have 3 and it seems that at night is when I enjoy smoking them.

markw4mms

Lifer
Jun 16, 2011
Bremen,GA
I have 3 cobs at the moment, but plan to buy more. There isn't much that can compare for the quality of the smoke for the price! I'm enjoying a bowl of LNF in one right now.

Jun 26, 2011
Pacific Northwest USA
Welcome to the cob-clan clano.

Myself I cheat with respect to the shank through the bottom and the initial break-in.

Before I smoke a new cob I fill the space at the bottom of the bowl either side of the shank with pipe mud.

Prolly unnecessary but I like to fiddle!

baronsamedi

Lifer
May 4, 2011
Dallas
Yer preachin to the choir here, buddy! I know all about cigs in the military. Since buying them in the Commissary was tax free Camels were $8 a carton and GPCs (Which I also called BDCs , fro Broke-dick Cigs) were $2.85. Some of them came with a $2 off coupos so If I was a super broke-dick, I could get a carton for $0.85. Then came the civilian world. When I quit nails a carton of Camels was $20. A pack of Nat Shermans was $5.
Wish I'd had the sense to discover the beauty of the MM Cob back then!

oldmaus

Can't Leave
Nov 20, 2010
Cobs are GREAT.....I smoke mine probably 98% of the time. They never

let you down with just minimal care.

jchaplick

Lifer
May 8, 2011
love my cob, i dont even have one with the hardwood plug, and ive easily smoked it 200 times and it is no worse for wear

gecko13

Feb 2, 2011
Goodyear,AZ
Cobs are amazing values. I have about 10 of them. I keep a couple in my truck, and in my shop. Just can't go wrong, and with minimal care they last for years. I usually wind up damaging them in some unrecoverable way before they burn out.

terry

Oct 7, 2011
What I like best about corn cob pipes is the light weight, very comfortable.

tiltjlp

Can't Leave
Apr 9, 2011
Cheviot Ohio
clanobucklin, I'm proud to see that you chose my Storm Front for your first new cob. All my blends were developed using cobs, which is mostly what I smoke. And no, cobs don't have to wear or burn out. Taken care of cobs can and do last for many years. You might benefit from reading both my Primer and Buying Guide.
http://pipedia.org/index.php?title=The_Complete_Corncob_primer
http://pipedia.org/index.php?title=Missouri_Meerschaum_Corncob_Buying_Guide

baronsamedi

Lifer
May 4, 2011
Dallas
I have a Great Dane Egg and a Legend. Love 'em both. It's usually one of those when I take a walk. I fully understand the temptation from buying and the satisfying smoke of a high-dollar pipe, be it a Meer or a Dunhill. A cob was not my first pipe, It was a no-name English estate briar. I chose it because it appeared in good condition. It smokes well and I still love my briars and Meer in a way that only a pipe smoker could understatnd.
That said, I love my cobs I still stand by my statement that a collection is never complete until you have incorporated a Missouri Meerschaum corncob into your rotation. I live by the motto, "Life is too short to smoke cruddy pipes and cruddy tabak"
I may have only been a pipe man for 7 months, but whether its food or drink and I come up short-handed in the way of a review, I know what GOOD smells and tastes are. I know the difference betwen good eats, good services and good product versus something that looks, smells or tastes like bilge water.
I don't work for a tobacconist or any related retail chain that needs me to pump up thier products. My opinions are true (to me) and I only review items that I not only find to be good but exceprional and full of flavor.
That said, I don't always know if I'm on the same page as the reader. If someone finds the aroma too pungent ro the taste too harsh, then that just means we have diverse opinions. I also start out with a 2oz or 50g tin and smoke it through a cob or Meer to experiance the arona/tatse of the pipes baccy in question. I bought the big tin fo H&H Black House and a big bagk of Nat Sherman's riverside whiskey.
I've been pumping up Russ Ouelette lately, but I assure you, if I wrote a review. Whatever experiences I desribe are 100% authentic. Liked Squadron Leader or creme brulee'. I liked Sutliff #5 though I found the tin note weird.
I also like "English" or more accurately Lat blends, so therein lie my prejudices. I also like most aros, specifically, Cherry Bomb, Nat Sherman Riverside Whiskey, Altadis Creme Brulee and good old reliable Lane 1-Q. Thanks to Lawrence,I am also hooked on 1-Q. My opinion: If you try it and don't like it, seal it in a mason jar and try it again in a couple o months. If you hapen to know the blender, compare notes and msybe you'll like it down the road. If not, chuck it. Lesson learned. But something else.
But back to the topic. As for cobs? Hell Yeah! You can nuy a Legend pretty quick and easy in the shop, usually little more than $5 US. For $30, you san get 3 of the Great dane pipe, bent, smooth or straight.

I can't think of one person who sits down and lightens the 1oad.
In summary, get the cob(s) and enjoy.

clanobucklin

Jan 19, 2010
Thanks John for the links they were very informative - I have tried several of your blends - and - I have to say "Storm Front" is one of my favorites.

S

sunriseboy

I'm a bit behind the time here, but I've got a handful of cobs and wouldn't go back to briars if you paid me.

My other seven briars (2 Carey Magic Inches, Bartoli, Danske, an Italian briar, a French briar and an English Falcon) non of them smokes nearly as well as my Cob collection. If the reader tries the Cobs, they will also come to a similar observation. Besides, those pipes mentioned are all up for sale on eBay, now.

They burn much cooler than briars. No "juice". I really don't get it with other pipes. Do guys really like that juice crap that comes out of the pipes. That never occurs with a Cob.

Any way, I'm just a grumpy old man who has no time for things that don't function half as well as everyone is yelling about. And I'm utterly fascinated by how many guys do stuff like smoking pipes or tobaccos that are substandard...that don't work very well or bring them no enjoyment...but they keep on doing it. Un-"freaking"-believable!!!

pwkarch

Lurker
Feb 10, 2017
Thank you for your service Marine, Navy here
I have an old MM CC from 40 years ago.....and it STILL smokes great. The entire bowl is dark brown being seasoned well, and I hope it goes a lot longer.
I have 7 very decent briars, but truth be known they for the most part just sit and watch.I have about 8 newer MM CC, 6 of which are on active duty and 2 in the reserves.
I don't think you can make a CC smoke poorly. I think a cat turd might smoke well out of a cob. I have over 40 different brands and blends "cellared" and every one of them provide a pleasant experience with my cobs. Recently I ordered standby bits (it is a military thing) to have in stock should I need to replace any.
I am in Jersey, so I am anxiously awaiting better weather so I can go join nature and smoke my pipes (and cigars) without freezing my butt off. I am not allowed to smoke in the house but I can smoke in my PU truck while out, or on the screen porch when there is calm conditions.
So enjoy your Cob, and do not ever feel less of a pipester, you are actually a better pipester because you are doing what you enjoy, and to h^#@ with anyone who thinks less of a cob smoker.

pwkarch

Lurker
Feb 10, 2017
Thank you for your service Marine, Navy here
I have an old MM CC from 40 years ago.....and it STILL smokes great. The entire bowl is dark brown being seasoned well, and I hope it goes a lot longer.
I have 7 very decent briars, but truth be known they for the most part just sit and watch.I have about 8 newer MM CC, 6 of which are on active duty and 2 in the reserves.
I don't think you can make a CC smoke poorly. I think a cat turd might smoke well out of a cob. I have over 40 different brands and blends "cellared" and every one of them provide a pleasant experience with my cobs. Recently I ordered standby bits (it is a military thing) to have in stock should I need to replace any.
I am in Jersey, so I am anxiously awaiting better weather so I can go join nature and smoke my pipes (and cigars) without freezing my butt off. I am not allowed to smoke in the house but I can smoke in my PU truck while out, or on the screen porch when there is calm conditions.
So enjoy your Cob, and do not ever feel less of a pipester, you are actually a better pipester because you are doing what you enjoy, and to h^#@ with anyone who thinks less of a cob smoker.

Status
Not open for further replies.