PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

rupertus

Lurker
Sep 16, 2016
In addition to being a pipe newbie, I just bought a corn cob (MM) from the beverage store. I realize it has to be broken in, but I notice tobacco tastes a bit different in it. Are there some tobaccos that do better in a cob? Smoke anything in it?

May 4, 2015
Smoke anything in it, for sure. There is differing opinion, but I don't think they have to be "broken in" before they're good. I've smoked probably 30 new cobs and have enjoyed them from the first bowl.
Mark Twain disagrees though. According to him, he wouldn't even smoke a cob until it had been broken in for two weeks. He couldn't be bothered with it, so he would find a homeless or otherwise undesirable person to break it in for him and then he'd take it over.

Dec 28, 2015
I think everything tastes great in a cob. But many blends taste surprisingly different than in my briars. And I think some of the best bowls I have had in my cobs are the first few bowls. No break in time for me.

didimauw

Staff member
Jul 28, 2013
Burlington WI
Mine always smoke better after the bottom is filled with cake and rounded out. I guess you call that broken in.

ltstone

Part of the Furniture Now
Dec 30, 2015
I must be different because i love that fresh taste a new cob has. But some do seem to smoke better after they yellow a bit.

hakchuma

Jan 13, 2014
I pay $4.00 for MM Meershaum cobs at my local brick and mortar. Horse shit would smoke good in a cool, dry cob at that price point.

dottiewarden

Lifer
Mar 25, 2014
Toronto
Mark Twain disagrees though. According to him, he wouldn't even smoke a cob until it had been broken in for two weeks. He couldn't be bothered with it, so he would find a homeless or otherwise undesirable person to break it in for him and then he'd take it over.
And here people were abhorred over smoking estates. This is just down right disgusting.

rupertus

Lurker
Sep 16, 2016
Wow. I should have bought one sooner. Hoo whudda thunk? I tried Carter Hall in it for the first time a few days ago, and a decent combination! Gotta try the Prince Albert next!

May 4, 2015
And here people were abhorred over smoking estates. This is just down right disgusting.
To be fair, he also stated that he replaced the reed stem before he smoked it after the vagrant.

hextor

Sep 20, 2015
4.00 for a cob, shoot my brick and mortar sells them for 10.00

hakchuma

Jan 13, 2014
Yes. $ 3.96. Not sure if you can see the price sticker in the photo. And I get to keep the display if I buy the last few on display. I have 5 displays already.
image4-600x450.jpg

okiebrad

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 13, 2016
Cob's really don't need to be broke in, start smoking and smoke whatever you want, "TIP" get more cob's
I am OkieBrad and I approve this message.

seagullplayer

Jan 30, 2014
Indiana
"Wow. I should have bought one sooner. Hoo whudda thunk? I tried Carter Hall in it for the first time a few days ago, and a decent combination! Gotta try the Prince Albert next! "
You will spend a lot of time money and effort before you top that combination. CC+CH :wink:

Status
Not open for further replies.